Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever clip the wing on a Hangar 9 Cub 40 size?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Anyone ever clip the wing on a Hangar 9 Cub 40 size?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:06 PM
trab1925

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever clip the wing on a Hangar 9 Cub 40 size?

I just ordered a Hangar 9 40 size Piper Cub. I'm going to be powering it with a .40 two stroke. Anyone ever clip the wings on this plane or is it already pretty aerobatic? I kind of planned on clipping the wings after giving it a try but I think I might actually kind of like more sluggish aerobatics. What are your guys' thoughts?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:07 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Anyone ever clip the wing on a Hangar 9 Cub 40 size?

I think it is a bad idea unless you don't care how the strut placement looks like after you clip the wings. Or unless you are very good at modifying metal wing fittings and metal stuts to bring the attachment points closer in to the fuselage to make it look right. It would just not be worth the trouble or headaches involved.

Also, if you live in or fly near Boulder, Colorado (5,000 feet altitude +) you need an extra large engine to compensate for the thin air up there. I would recommend a .60 or better yet a .75 two stroke if you insist on a two stroke in a cub just to compensate for the altitude. Heck, you might require a .90 size. Comments from anybody from Denver/Boulder about this????
Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 PM
trab1925

Very interesting, I never considered this but now that I think about it, you're probably right!

Thanks for the heads up! I would really appreciate someone else's comment from Colorado on the engine size.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:28 PM
trab1925

I did some more reading and I don't think the engine size is going to be a problem. A .40 2-stroke is not even the minimum recommended size so I think I will be OK. However I am definitely going to refrain from clipping the wings.

I honestly think most people over power their planes anyways.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:50 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Here are a couple of threads about higher elevations and engine "needs". I'm only at 1,870 feet so I usually don't pay close attention, but I have noticed similar conversations the further west one goes.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#1297218

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3752443/tm.htm
Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 PM
RCShadow

I clipped a H9 Cub wing back in 98-99 timeframe and it worked well. I did not like the typical floaty feeling of the full size wing. I took the ratios from a Goldberg Cub kit plans to get the numbers. In the end, it was taking out one wing bay to get the numbers I needed. I did move the strut attach points as well but I used ply I laminated together for that (no metal).

It made for a very nice flying and aerobatic Cub that I wanted. Good luck to you on yours. If you decide to do it and take your time, you will enjoy the experience and how the Cub will fly.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Some people will tell you elevation doesn't matter, then again they don't fly at our altitudes. I had one guy tell me it was just because I didn't know how to tune my engine properly.....typical insult.

A friend had that cub with a Enya 53 4 stroke for power and it flew well, so do with at least a 46AX in boulder. A 10X6 will be pretty quick and fly it well, and an 11X6 will give you nice performance.

Clipping the wings to the first bay would be alright, but struts as they say maybe......It should fly nice without clipping though if you have a 46 in it.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:17 PM
RCShadow

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

Some people will tell you elevation doesn't matter, then again they don't fly at our altitudes. I had one guy tell me it was just because I didn't know how to tune my engine properly.....typical insult.

A friend had that cub with a Enya 53 4 stroke for power and it flew well, so do with at least a 46AX in boulder. A 10X6 will be pretty quick and fly it well, and an 11X6 will give you nice performance.

Clipping the wings to the first bay would be alright, but struts as they say maybe......It should fly nice without clipping though if you have a 46 in it.
I can certainly understand what you are saying. As a full-scale pilot, we had it drilled into our heads during flight training to calculate altitude, and more importantly, density altitude on hot, Summer days.

As a grusome example, a couple of weeks ago, a family was killed in a Cessna 421 Golden Eagle in Alabama after the pilot lost an engine and tried to get to an airport. He ended up stalling the plane and screwing it into the ground. He left behind a daughter of 16 that decided not to go with her other three siblings that died in the flight along with the parents. You wonder why they call these expensive toys purchased by docs "doctor killers". Unfortunately, they usually take someone with them as well.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:44 PM
trab1925

RCShadow, I'm sorry to hear that, that's very unfortunate. Quite ironically one of my old planes actually went down because of the thin air on a hot summer day. I was coming in a little slow with a .40 sizewar bird and instantly once I got over the tarmac the air above it was heated and thinner than the air above the grass; my plane instantly fell out of the sky. At least I assume that's what happened. I started up my OS .40FP today for the first time. I could definitely tell it didn't have the pull at lower elevation but it should still fly without a hitch. I do plan on upgrading to a four stroke eventually.

Thanks for all your comments.