Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Anyone Flying the New Phoenix Models Sukhoi .46 From Tower Hobbies?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Anyone Flying the New Phoenix Models Sukhoi .46 From Tower Hobbies?

Old 09-17-2003, 04:00 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 72 vs. O.S. 46 FX

I did a quick check and the Saito 72 is listed at 16.6 oz including muffler and the O.S. 46 FX weighs in at 13.2 oz (not sure if this includes muffler or not). These weights were taken directly off each manufacturers web site. So with the Saito there will be roughly 3.5 oz more weight on the nose. I don't see much of a problem with that. When my plane arrives and I get to building it I'll let everyone know how it goes. Later!
Old 09-17-2003, 10:17 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Saito 72 vs. O.S. 46 FX

Pauly, I think that weight for the OS .46FX is without the muffler.....because I believe that the Thunder Tiger Pro .46 weighs in at 16.1 oz with the muffler, and the OS should be right about the same....
I think the .72 would be great......and you should get it to balance OK without having to add any weight if you're creative with battery placement.....

Diablo, is that the Giles you're referring to? I was thinking the same thing about the wing loading.....but my Sukhoi says a flying weight of 6 lbs on the box, but it came in at only about 5 1/3 lbs. Surprisingly, it's a real floater on landing. I'm guessing the Giles will probably be lighter than advertised too.......

Inter, the SS 40 and T-34 are both flying great!
Old 09-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

Ptgarcia, I think the Saito 72 will be the hot ticket for this plane. Thats what I would have put in mine if I didn't already have an Evolution .46 laying around with no airplane to put it in. One thing to keep in mind, my Sukhoi came out pretty nose heavy with the Evolution .46 with an inverted pitts muffler. I mounted my RX just in front of the servo tray and the battery pack behind the servo tray and it is still a little nose heavy. The instruction book shows a wide rage for balancing, the Sukhoi can be balanced with a CG anywhere between 100-120mm. I have mine balancing slightly nose heavy at 110mm from the leading edge. With a heavier engine be prepared to mount your battery pack well behind the servo tray towards the tail. I would avoid adding lead weight to the tail as suggested in the instruction manual at all costs. Let me know how yours flys with the Saito 72, I may have to buck up and get one if you have good results.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:15 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diablo, is that the Giles you're referring to? I was thinking the same thing about the wing loading.....but my Sukhoi says a flying weight of 6 lbs on the box, but it came in at only about 5 1/3 lbs. Surprisingly, it's a real floater on landing. I'm guessing the Giles will probably be lighter than advertised too.......

It's on sale for $99 on Tower in todays sale, no telling how long it will be there Im still thinking about it
Old 09-18-2003, 10:21 AM
ptgarcia

All right fellas, I'll be sure to report how the Saito 72 works out.

Those of you in the air already, please let us know if you encounter any problems that can be fixed while assembling.

See ya!
Old 09-18-2003, 11:22 AM
inter

I think the best praise u can get for a model is an offer from someone to buy it from you, or they go buy one themselves.

This model was gets plenty of "ohh and ahhhs" at the field, and my partner reckons its the prettiest plane I have had. Not bad, cause all she USUALLY does is ***** about the space they take up

I would have kept mine if space wasn't an issue and that I am trying to get in the bigger stuff. A 40 size is always nice to have, but I guess I have my trainer for that.

You really can't beat it for the price.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:13 PM
glowplug

Diablo, I say go for it....for that price, you can't afford NOT too!

ptgarcia, 2 more flights on mine last night....that brings it up to about 10 or 11 flights total, and no problems yet....I haven't really wrung it out yet, but I'm getting there.....she sure does some nice tumbles.....very easy to recover from too.....nice stall turns too. Snap rolls are wicked.....
It seems to be holding up very well......and like inter said, always lots of "ooohs and ahhhs" too....it's that huge cowl that gets 'em....
Old 09-18-2003, 10:36 PM
inter

One thing, (I'm sure the other guys will agree), is stick to the 10mm or a LITTLE more elevator throw until u are comfortable with it.

I wanted max throws on mine and had a lot more than 10mm on the first flight. In hindsight, It was not a good idea.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:10 AM
glowplug

inter is ABSOLUTELY right! mine snapped at the top of a loop with only about 16mm (my high rates) Low rates are about 12mm, and it's fine...no snapping tendencies.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:10 AM
ptgarcia

Thanks guys, thats the stuff I wanted to hear!
Old 09-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Swat Cop

I had a little mishap with my Sukhoi today, not sure what happened but I was flying for about 2-3 min when it went deadstick. I didn't hear the engine go out, another guy was running his engine up behind me and I didn't notice mine until I noticed visually the prop was not turning. To make a long story short I was in a bad position and had to make a 180' turn in order to make the field and avoid the lake or fence, and was too low. I cracked the right wing bent the gear and did some minor damage to the cowl. It feels like the crank shaft on the Evolution .46 is broken. I am not sure if this happened in the air causing the dead stick or impact with the ground, ground I am guessing but it didn't even break the prop. So, I guess I will be making repairs and since I need a new engine I will be looking for a Saito .72. If anyone knows where I can get a good price on one let me know. The best I have found yet is $224.00 and that seems pretty standard everywhere.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:09 PM
inter

Sry to hear bike,

Just thought of something to help any would be buyers, I adjusted the cg a little to the rear (say 5mm from the cg of 110mm) and OMG, what a nightmare. She was buckin' up and down like a wild horse. Christie was spot on.

Anyway, I got her back down but the landing was real hard. No damage or a scratch. They are tough little models.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:10 AM
glowplug

Default RE: Anyone Flying the New Phoenix Models Sukhoi .46 From Tower Hobbies?

bike, sorry to hear about that......that's a bummer

inter, wow, I can't believe it! Mine is at 110mm also, and since the manual said it will go back to 120mm, I considered moving it back, I'm glad I didn't!! Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 09-22-2003, 11:01 AM
flynboy-RCU

Well, finally had a chance to fly mine over the weekend. Overall, the plane flies very well. I only got in two 5 minute flights (I changed the rudder to pull-pull and was getting some centering and drift issues with the rudder, which were the result of my linkage and not the plane). Also, my flights were without the cowling so...

Takeoff - piece o' cake, little, if any rudder needed.
tracking - tracks very well, tends to climb under power application, may need some down thrust (will check next flight)
stalls, slow flight - will slow down more than expected, will drop a wing at stall, but is not violent.
loops - round and large, no tendency to snap
rolls - fast, not axial, but may be related to my rudder centering issue
spins - spins quickly, but can also flatten out. note, my recovery from upright flat spin took over two rotations.
inverted flight - required quite a bit of down ele. may be helped with downthrust.
landing - flies approach good, slows down well, but took me several tries to get a decent touchdown as it was sensitive in pitch. Added some more expo to elevator and this helped some, but will take some more landings to get smooth.

Some info on my config:
weight - ?? didn't have scale, several people remarked on how light it is though.
cg - right in middle of suggested range
engine/prop - new gms 47, with apc 11x5
throws - ailerons, +-15mm; ele +-15 mm; rudder - as much as possible (approx 40-45deg)

Joe
Old 09-22-2003, 12:00 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe thats an excellent flight report!!

just fyi to all, they are abour $92 or so now at Tower. Im sure they wont last long at this price!
Old 09-24-2003, 05:58 PM
ptgarcia

What's up fellas? Well, FedEx just dropped of my Sukhoi and I am stoked! This thing is an F'in steal at the $103 I spent! After a quick once over, it's perfect! I can't believe the control surfaces are hinged, with dubro hinges by the way, and pinned! The factory has done so much there's not much left for the modeler to do! Even the pilot and canopy are mounted. I plan on putting this thing together at my office during my luch break over the next few days. I'll keep everybody updated. Until then...SEE YA!
Old 09-24-2003, 10:27 PM
Iddons

Mine just turned up
Yep - it looks good.
Now the key question. .46 or .61 or Saito75..............
Old 09-24-2003, 11:26 PM
Swat Cop

Go with the Saito .72, gotta have that four stroke sound and the power!
Old 09-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Iddons

oops .72 - yeah
Old 09-25-2003, 09:03 AM
glowplug

ptgarcia....you'll be happy to know that this plane is actually an enjoyable assembly experience......we've ALL had those ARF's that you wanted to slam against the wall, haven't we?? I wish all ARF's went together this easily........straightforward, simple, and everything fits right!

Old 09-25-2003, 09:32 PM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

I've always wanted a Sukhoi, and can't belive the price at Tower Hobbies! I may have to go ordr one now.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:37 PM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

Wow!!

I just ordered the Sukhoi from Tower for $88.03! I threw in an OS .46 FX which brought my total to $200 and they were giving away an aluminum spinner with the engine. Got $20 off, free shipping as a member of the "super saver" club.

The whole deal for $180 shipped!!

I can't wait to get it. Glad I looked on here tonight and read about this sale!

Carl
Old 09-25-2003, 11:48 PM
Swat Cop

You might want to pickup a pitts muffler for your .46 so you don't have to butcher that pretty cowl.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:40 AM
glowplug

$88??!! I think I need the Giles now too!!
Old 09-26-2003, 07:04 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ordered the Sukhoi from Tower for $88.03!
I'm starting to think I got ripped off, I paid $98.00 for mine. Still can't get over the amount of plane you get.

You might want to pickup a pitts muffler for your .46 so you don't have to butcher that pretty cowl.
Actually for this plane you don't need one. The cowl is really big and the motor mounts 45 degrees below level so the muffler is centered in a channel on the bottom of the plane. Only really big stock mufflers will require cutting. My K&B screamin 48 muffler fits completely inside and it's bigger than the stock one for the OS 46.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.