Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pilot 1 Red Lion ?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pilot 1 Red Lion ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 05:36 AM
rhowardsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot 1 Red Lion ?

Anyone know anything about this ARF ? Looked at one yesterday at Hobby Lobby, seems nice enough but rather pricey !

Thanks,
Ray
Old 10-29-2011, 08:32 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pilot 1 Red Lion ?

It's a good looking plane, I'm interested as well.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 PM
rhowardsta

I have looked at it up close and now I want one even more ! Fiberglass fuse with plug in wings..... My BME 50 would fit real nice in that cowl ! Headed to a swap meet this weekend to sell a few (hopefully) to pad the wallet.Keep ya posted ..........
Old 11-07-2011, 10:05 PM
sheograth

You are referring to the 1/4 scale one right? That plane looks awesome. Though aesthetically I've never really liked planes with huge landing gear like that (Gee Bees and stuff) Though this one looks more streamlined.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
rhowardsta

Looks like Troy Built "ECOMRC"line is gonna have one that is a little bigger ! All built up wood and covering and is scale to the 27% Pac Areo Models Gee Bee ! A friend of mine has the Gee Bee so looks like there will be a Gilmore in my future !

Ray
Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 AM
djmoose
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just started building mine. I was going to do a full build log, but it's rather straight forward. We'll see.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 AM
djmoose

In case anyone in still interested. Mine is complete and has flown.

I have two build issues and 1 flying issue.

First, my package came with elevator control rods that were too small. Hobby Lobby is aware of the problem and sent me new ones quickly for free.

Second, the top of the wheel pants do not fit well against the fuse. When flying, I'm getting a lot of weird noise and I'm pretty sure it because of the air rushing past these. I need to figure out a way to clean those up.

Flying, it's weird...the rudder has a lot of authority, but the vertical stab doesn't. Does that make sense? LOL You'll need to stay on the rudder constantly in turns and coming out of turns as the rear end ends to slide a lot. I guess I would describe it like it can do full flat rudder turns if you'd like...but you almost always have to correct with opposite rudder when completing the turn to keep the plane going straight. It's nothing terrible, just a little un-nerving when you're not expecting it.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:07 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Pics DJ,,Pics,,,,
The noise might be the flying wires,, the can sing some times,,

So you're saying it continues to Yaw after the ruder is returned to neutral??

This guy makes it look like it flies well,
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pilot_1_g...33858_prd1.htm
Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 AM
djmoose

You know, I never thought it was the wires...you're probably correct!

I have to open her up to get the flight packs out, so I'll snap some pics soon.

Yes, she continues to yaw after the rudder is neutralized. Not terribly...but more then I'm used to. Nothing that a little bit of opposite rudder doesn't fix. If you look at it, the whole stab and rudder is rather small. I'm used to flying large aerobatic planes, so I think it's just a matter of getting used to my first 50cc scale plane.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM
stuntflyr

Exactly as the real airplane did as described by test pilot Carl Pascal when test flying some replica Wedell-Williams in the 90's. Typically the keel area forward of the c/l (big wheel pants, large cowling) will drive the yaw by overpowering the vertical stab because it's too small as well as low aspect ratio to be very effective. The rudder movement keeps it all lined up, but it has to be done in a coordinated manner with the bank in and out of a turn. A lot of work for the typical R/C pilot!
My son's 40 sized Spitfire does the same thing, little vertical, big cowling and scale wheels and landing gear doors on a fixed gear model makes it do funny stuff only corrected by proper rudder input.
Chris...
Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 PM
flatsguide
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys how is the building progressing?
I bought one a few months ago but just now opened the boxes and was disappointed with poor fit,material and pretty shoddy workmanship on the firewall. That whole area will need work and reenforcement. A Zenoah G62 will be used for power. I think it will be pretty nice though when completed. 
Regards Richard