Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Texas R/C Planes Drastick .60 Size

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Texas R/C Planes Drastick .60 Size

Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Texas R/C Planes Drastick .60 Size

I've bought one and will do a build thread on it since I don't see much information on these. I plan to put a DLE 20 with an ES Composites tuned pipe spinning a Vess 18x6. I'm going for across the runway take off runs and "Stupid Vertical" here.

[link=http://www.texasrcplanes.com/st60nielonor.html]Texas RC Planes Drastick.[/link]
- Wingspan: 66.1 inches
- Wing Area: 973.6 sq. in.
- Length: 59.7 inches
- Engine: 2C 0.60-0.75 cu.in (not included)
- Requires radio with 4 channels and 5 servos (not included)

It came double boxed and well packed. I love the nose hatch on this thing with the easy open spring loaded latch. Plane seems well made out of laser cut light ply that interlocks everywhere - no but joints. It is very light. I bet this plane comes in under 9lbs and if it does, I'll have me a nice missile. I would have liked to have seen a bigger landing gear block and flaps but at $149, it is hard to beat.

Normal ARF Stuff:
- I used CA+ on all of the joints with a spritz of activator to make sure everything was glued together well since the DLE 20 will vibrate some.
- Reenforced the landing block as much as I could.
- Ran thin CA down the fuselage joints by holding the fuse upright and angling it as I dropped the CA in.
- Reenforced the wing bolt down blocks with tri-stock and as much glue as I could get away with. Thick CA/Activator and some epoxy.
- Tighten the covering here and there but it didn't need much. Covering was well appliled and reasonably tight.

Several things I've changed on mine.
- Bigger landing gear. I make mine out of 1/8" stock I get at Home Depot or Lowes. Mine is about 1.5" taller.
- Bigger wheels to add even more height for that 18" prop.
- Bigger rudder for more stupidity.
- Rudder servo in the back - I need the tail weight as it turns out.
- Robart hinges on the rudder.
- Great Planes CA hinge material on everything else.
- Lots of tri-stock in the corners.
- Fiji water bottle (330ml) fuel tank for less weight and I plan to mount it close to the CG.
- Sullivan tail wheel. My tail wheel of choice for everything. It is easy on the servo and simple to install.
- Doubled the firewall as I have to cut a lot of out for the DLE 20 rear carb.

Initial balancing put the battery as far back as it would go (with no real place to put it) so that is why, I'll be putting the rudder servo in the rear.

The only problem I've had is that the trim colors delaminate real easy and the rudder was pre-de-laminated for me because as soon as I touched it with an iron, it melted all over my iron (hence the black rudder). This after just tacking down the wing and fuselage trim. I thought it was monokote but it looks like it might be Toughlon - which I absolutely HATE!

For servos, I'm using a Hitech HS-5625 on the elevator a Tower Hobbies TS-160 (a rebadged Hitech HS-5625) on the rudder, a HS-225MG on the throttle and a pair of Power HD DS090Ms on the ailerons (a bit more strength than an HS-5625 but faster with better centering) with 1.5" futaba arms. All surfaces are maxed out and I'll put 30% or so expo on them and make low rates about 60" of the max.

Have no idea what the DLE 20 will do with a pipe but my goal is to get it to turn a Vess 18x6 the same RPM as it will turn a Vess 17x6 on the stock muffler. Testing the limits of the old cantilever crank pin!

Hoping to fly it next week if I can get some decent weather.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20075.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	1726219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89734.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1726220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75143.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1726221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52782.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1726222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82591.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1726223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp94213.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1726224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw42152.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1726225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ba90976.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1726226  

Click image for larger version

Name:	On94836.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1726227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu91292.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1726228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy10122.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1726229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc20067.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1726230  
Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 AM
Capt Cash
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Texas R/C Planes Drastick .60 Size

Wow that is nice!Should beballistic with that setup.

I've beenthinking recently of getting that same plane and DLE20 for my son. Let us know how it flys.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:23 PM
P-47 Man

That Drastick 60 sure looks sweet.

I can't wait to see it fly.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 PM
SpinnerRow

I'm putting the rudder servo in the back. I need the tail weight and I like the positive feel a directly connect rudder servo gives you.

Name:	Qo40351.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1727145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66988.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1727146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86048.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1727147  
Old 02-15-2012, 12:02 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Spinner:

I cringe when I look at your elevator pushrods. Are they 2-56? Even if they are 4-40, that bend you put in them is just asking for flex. At high speeds you are very likely to experience either "no up elevator" in a power dive, or elevator flutter. Either one of which will be fatal.

I would say that straight 4-40 pushrods would be the least you will need.

Or put the elevator servos in the tail as well.

Jim
Old 02-15-2012, 01:55 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: jrf

Spinner:

I cringe when I look at your elevator pushrods. Are they 2-56? Even if they are 4-40, that bend you put in them is just asking for flex. At high speeds you are very likely to experience either ''no up elevator'' in a power dive, or elevator flutter. Either one of which will be fatal.

I would say that straight 4-40 pushrods would be the least you will need.

Or put the elevator servos in the tail as well.

Jim
I agree with you. I don't like them either and have thought about going with a 4-40 as well. There isn't a straight shot out of the fuselage though. They bent the pushrods pretty good when they glued them in.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:20 PM
jrf

Give the elevators full up on high rates and hold it there, then see how much finger pressure it takes to manually push the elevators back down.

You will be less likely to get flex if you do whatever bend is necessary right next to the exit from the fuselage, (give the controls full down before you bend the pushrod) then have a straight shot from there to the control horns.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 AM
SpinnerRow

I had tried some 4-40 rods but they were too stiff and the curve of the tubes was too much inside the fuselage. The HS-5625 wasn't centering right and buzzing constantly. If I pushed down elevator, it would stay slightly down. If pull up, it stayed slightly up when I let go of the stick. So I straightened the stock pushrods out and put some carbon fiber tubing over them which made them much stiffer. Man, I hate pushrods!

Name:	Fd92254.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1727670  
Old 02-16-2012, 06:09 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

I had tried some 4-40 rods but they were too stiff and the curve of the tubes was too much inside the fuselage. The HS-5625 wasn't centering right and buzzing constantly. If I pushed down elevator, it would stay slightly down. If pull up, it stayed slightly up when I let go of the stick. So I straightened the stock pushrods out and put some carbon fiber tubing over them which made them much stiffer. Man, I hate pushrods!
Spinner does your book show those tubes with push rods in them? Mine looked like they were for routing an antenna . here is my pushrods install .

Name:	Jh15838.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1727679  
Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: mighty9

Spinner does your book show those tubes with push rods in them? Mine looked like they were for routing an antenna . here is my pushrods install .
I'll have to check. Is yours a .60 size? That looks like a 1.20 size with the pull/pull rudder.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 AM
mighty9

It is the 120 and i added the pull pull because those tubes were installed in such a way that they would never work to move the control surfaces. I think if you put your control horns on the top you could get the geometry a little better. I now know i would never buy another plane sold from them. They are made by cy models and have to many build issues. Its a good beat around model but there are better options. I hope you get yours whipped into shape.Ill be glad to help anyway i can.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: mighty9
Its a good beat around model but there are better options. I hope you get yours whipped into shape.Ill be glad to help anyway i can.
I haven't had too many issues with mine so far. It is built really light like an old Hangar 9 Ultra Stick.

I bought it to test out the DLE 20 with a pipe. I had an ultra stick .40 with a Super Tigre 90 and a pipe on it for a while so I like my planes just a "bit" over powered.

With this plane, I'm hoping for 17lbs of thrust and an 8.5lbs plane. We'll see how it comes out.

What engine did you put on your 1.20?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 AM
cutaway

I plan to put a DLE 20 with an ES Composites tuned pipe spinning a Vess 18x6. I'm going for across the runway take off runs and ''Stupid Vertical'' here.
The plane won't last long if you do this. They are VERY light, and VERY fragile.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 AM
mighty9

ORIGINAL: cutaway

I plan to put a DLE 20 with an ES Composites tuned pipe spinning a Vess 18x6. I'm going for across the runway take off runs and ''Stupid Vertical'' here.
The plane won't last long if you do this. They are VERY light, and VERY fragile.
Thats the combo that texas planes has on their 60 size so i cant see why it wouldnt work
I used an rcgf 26cc with a canister. I built the rcgf from parts i bought at BP hobbies as i had an extra ignition and cylinder already.That lil engine is jewel.Its a shame that the pre assembled ones dont have better quality control.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 AM
jrf

Spinner:

Your pushrods are MUCH improved. Mighty9's setup would be better if you could fit it in, but what you have now will probably work if you limit your top speed.

Jim
Old 02-16-2012, 08:57 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: cutaway

They said that about my Ultra Stick 40 with a ST 90 on it as well. I flew it till I got tired of it and then sold it. Wouldn't be the first time I've done something stupid like this!

The plane in the video of the Drastick .60 on Texas R/C Planes site has a DLE 20 on it. I won't be making that much more power than a stock DLE 20. My bet is that the DLE 20 breaks before the plane falls apart. I've glued and reglued everywhere I can think of on this thing but with use, I'm sure I'll have to fix a few things here and there.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM
mighty9

Thats the spirit experiment and keep the hobby fun. I hope it does all you expect of it. I missed the second pic of your push rods, it is much better and should work well.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM
SpinnerRow

Got it flying without the pipe on it. Decent vertical but not what I was want. I was wanting to go straight to plaid type vertical.

I'm going to buy a [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/tuned-silencer-26gt-1-6EVO30943266]tuned silencer for an Evo GX26[/link] as I don't think the ES Composites header I bought is big enough o r right for this engine.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:36 AM
SpinnerRow

Had a problem with my Drastic last week. I broke one of the supplied control horns on one of the elevator halves while doing an inverted flat spin (man does this thing spin flat!) Turns out the control horn was bottoming out on the elevator and the brass control horn pulled through the hole (I have a stout servo on the elevator). The elevator half started flapping and by the time I got it down safely, the elevator half was broken. Fixed it this week and will fly it again this weekend but not before I check the elevator throws. I've got all surfaces set to as much as I can get (I have 1.5" arms on the ailerons!) and this is a pretty fun plane. The engine is getting more powerful and is able to pull the plane vertical with ease. I may forgo the pipe as the plane flies so well without it.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:02 AM
rodestar99

Got it flying without the pipe on it. Decent vertical but not what I was want. I was wanting to go straight to plaid type vertical.

I'm going to buy a [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/tuned-silencer-26gt-1-6EVO30943266]tuned silencer for an Evo GX26[/link] as I don't think the ES Composites header I bought is big enough o r right for this engine.
I have been looking at this plane as I had a hangar 9 ultra stick .60 that was my favorite plane. I was bummed when horizon quit selling them.
I installed the rudder and elevator servos in the back of the fuselage to keep from having to add tail weight. I flew it with a magnum 90 four stroke and it was
a floater....It had unlimited vertical with the magnum so I can t imagine needing a dle 20.
Do you think this is the same plane as the ultra stick that is just rebadged....They are not in stock now but i surely hope to buy one if they are not a lot heavier than the ultra.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:23 AM
AA5BY

The Drastick does not have a quad wing option as did the Ultra Stick. While some didn't care for the quad setup, I like it. It adds a flight window that is fun.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 AM
rodestar99

Do you know if the weight and airfoil shape are the same as the ultra stick?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:53 PM
SpinnerRow

It's not an Ultra Stick 60. The rudder in stock form is way smaller but I enlarged mine to about the size of a US-60. Also as mentioned earlier, it doesn't have quad flaps which wasn't a deal breaker for me. It flies great with the DLE 20 and has unlimited vertical but I'm a power nut and am still going to find a way to get a pipe on the DLE 20 for even more power. I'd like to spin a 17x8 on the pipe the same RPM as I'm spinning a 17x6 now (8200-8400). Its a fun plane and flies like, well, a good stick should fly. I have all of the throws maxed out mine with a good bit of expo. I don't have dual rates just all I can get all the time and you can still land this thing at a walk with the nose way high. I had to add 4oz to the tail to get it to balance with the DLE 20. When the pipe was on it, I needed to add just 2oz to the tail.

As far as the weight and airfoil comparison to the US-60, I have no idea as I've only seen one US-60 fly and don't know the specs on it.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:25 PM
mjraines1

Hey, just got my Drastick 60. Looking at what little instructions that was sent, they indicate the elevator control rods are on top? In your pics it shows the control rods on the bottom? I don't like the little hinges that come with this so I'll get something better? I am confused about the elevator?
Have you flown yours? Any issues I need to know about?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: mjraines1

Hey, just got my Drastick 60. Looking at what little instructions that was sent, they indicate the elevator control rods are on top? In your pics it shows the control rods on the bottom? I don't like the little hinges that come with this so I'll get something better? I am confused about the elevator?
Have you flown yours? Any issues I need to know about?
Well, I haven't been very happy with my Drastik but I did overpower the BeJesus out of it with a DLE 20 and a tuned pipe.

The rudder and elevator are fragile to say the least. If I had it to do over again, I would have sheeted both in 1/32" balsa to strengthen them up. The push rod layout for the elevator is a joke on this plane. In hind sight I wish I had used Hitech HS225MG mini servos for each elevator half and used a push rod on the rudder.

The plane itself is a great flier. Lands at a walk with the throws maxed out everywhere (which is the way I had it) it would do wickedly flat inverted flap spins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.