Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Good 2nd Low Wing?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Good 2nd Low Wing?

Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Avistarpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good 2nd Low Wing?

Alright guys, I have a feeling this may have been beat to death but as the title says I'm back into the rc world and looking to get a 2nd plane in my hangar. I currently fly an avistar and am getting comfortable with it again after a couple year hiatus. I'm also building a kit but am feeling an itch to get a plane sooner and keep tinkering on the kit over the winter. It's a GP Super Decathalon.

A plane that caught my eye is the .61 GP Escapade. I've read the threads on the .40 and .61 versions of it and it sounds like they got most of the early kinks worked out. In general I'm looking for a good entry level sport plane, in a .60 sized. Ide love a 330 or Yak but I'm trying to be realistic and think those would be a bit too big of a step at this point. I've also thought about a four star .60 or 120 but wonder if ide want more after a little while.

Any of you have any suggestions on a good 2nd bird? I'm thinking a low/mid wing sport plane arf...let the debate begin!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Good 2nd Low Wing?

I think a U-Can-Do could be a good second plane. It really flies nice and slow, tracks very well, and is quite docile on low rates. It's not as much of a 3D machine as it claims to be, but it still is a lot of fun on high rates.

I had the Phoenix Dolphin as my second plane; it was a lot of fun but only in a .46 size. Cheap, too.

The Avistar is a 'sporty' trainer which is good. I think you should be able to handle any of the 'low wing trainers' and probably the UCD. I agree with you that an Extra or Yak or something might be a bit much for a second plane.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Smasher12

My second plane was a Carl Goldberg tiger 60 with an OS 81 four stroke. The tiger is a lot like the four star by looks. I loved this plane! Very simple very easy to handle and gentle flying. It is also capable of doing your basic rolls,stall turns,loops, etc. It's really the plane I learned to fly with other than just circles with a trainer. Still have that bad boy in the hangar as my "when all else fails" airplane. Good luck with your search!!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:00 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I think you've got an excellent candidate for your next plane picked out already. The Escapade is a terrific flying low wing trainer and sport model. The .60-size ARF is a bargain considering the quality of construction and materials as well as the flying characteristics. Pair one up with your favorite .61 2-stroke and the smile will likely never leave your face.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Avistarpilot

Wow thanks for the quick replies guys...as for how I fly now I can do basic aerobatics with the avistar but its still a trainer and with a 40 LA my performance is pretty limited. I'm tempted to get a .46AX or .55 for the avistar to bump it up a notch. I do have to admit its still fun to fly though.

Keep the suggestions coming! I've also tempted with the GP revolver but that may be close to the 330/edge 540/ Yak realm that in not sure I'm ready to tackle yet.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:52 AM
dignlivn

The revolver flies great,

Bob
Old 08-19-2012, 04:01 AM
thailazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Smasher12

My second plane was a Carl Goldberg tiger 60 with an OS 81 four stroke. The tiger is a lot like the four star by looks. I loved this plane! Very simple very easy to handle and gentle flying. It is also capable of doing your basic rolls,stall turns,loops, etc. It's really the plane I learned to fly with other than just circles with a trainer. Still have that bad boy in the hangar as my ''when all else fails'' airplane. Good luck with your search!!
Lots of good suggestions on this thread already, but my vote on a first low wing is also the Tiger. Just a straight forward, light, and rugged airplane that can have you doing dozens of beautiful Cuban 8's on every flight. My favorite windy day ship.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:10 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Escapade 40 with a Magnum XLS 46, the Escapade 60 with a Fox 74 Eagle IV, and the Revolver 70 with an OS 95V four stroke. They are all great flying planes. You will be happy with the Escapade 60 with a good 61 or 75 two stroke engine or a 91 four stroke engine.

Bruce
Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Avistarpilot:

You have made a wise choice moving to a gentle sport low wing before finishing that Decathlon. The GP Decathlon is fast, heavy and loves to tipstall. Don Anderson (President of Great Planes) told me years ago that they had to discontinue that kit because so many people crashed it on their first landing attempt.

The Decathlon is a good looking airplane and you will probably enjoy it once you have the skills to deal with it's nastier flying qualities. (Build it as light as possible and keep the elevator travel on low rates.)

Jim

OBTW; The Pulse 60 from Horizon is a great second low wing also.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

If I may put in my two cents (which aint worth much now days!) I had an Escapade for my 3rd plane.  I put a Monster Power 46 in it since I'm into electrics more than glow (moving to gassers now though).  I must admit, I loved that plane!  Yep, put it in one day when I forgot to turn on my timer and the battery ran out at low altitude when I was pulling up to climb out.  Stalled and went in before I knew it.

One thing though, it seemed a bit heavy to me and it landed rather fast, might have been using too big of a battery, not sure.  That brings me to a question, how does the 61 compare, power to weight or wing loading?

I agree with the others, the Escapade is a great plane!  Oops, don't get them confused!    And to me, for the money, I'd probably stick with the 40 size, and go electric.  But that's just me.

Good luck!
David
Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 PM
seagull extra
My Feedback: (12)

I also started with an Avistar with a LA40 for power. Great trainer. For my second plane I went with a Phoenix Sea Bee and I would highly recomend it as a second plane. It handles wind well and flys true. I have a .52 Surpass in mine and it seems just right but a .46 two stroke would do a good job as well.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

That's a nice looking plane indeed.  But for me, since I'm CHEAP, I'll stick with the Escapade 40.  Don't let me influence you.

(I really don't have a whole lot of money to throw around, really!) 
Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 PM
MercerAUST

The Pulse 60 would be a fine choice as well. It's a medium paced flyer, very acrobatic and also great at slow manouveres. It's one of those planes that really makes you look good. It's at its best with an 80 sized 4-stroke where you can coast along on the torque wave during manouveres.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Avistarpilot

Ive thought about Pulse but for the price you really can't beat the the Escapade. For the price of the XT 60, I may as well grab up a 120 sized for a few bucks more. Oh the options...I guess as of now its between the Pulse and the Escapade. Anyone have other suggestions similar to these? Im really not digging the Tiger...looks like a boxy trainer with a wing stuck on the bottom.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Well, if you didn't like the Tiger then you probably wouldn't like the Sky Raider Mach II from World Models, or is it now The Wings Maker.  It's a decent flying plane.  It was my first low wing trainer (good for a trainer!) and the important thing is that it was even cheaper than the Escapade.  In fact when I bought mine about 3 years ago it was right around $90.

Your probably better off if with something else if you want something better looking and a little more lively.  And, by the way, I know where you're coming from trying to make a decision on the next one.  Good luck!

Take care,
David
Old 08-23-2012, 06:26 AM
grosbeak

Another vote for the Pulse. I have the 125 XT, but by all accounts the 60 XT is a great flyer too.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM
buzzard bait

Another vote for the Skyraider from World models, or actually what I have, the LA Racer, which is almost the same plane, but with a cleaned up look. The price has gone up, but the plane is worth it.

I fly mine with an Irvine .39 and it is a terrific performer! Towering figure eights almost right out of sight with that power. Excellent aerobatic trainer in my opinion. I'm on my second season with mine and I just like it better and better the more I fly it. Very straight tracking, easy to land, fast but it is light enough to slow down really well. Practicing knife edge and slow rolls with it lately.

Jim
Old 08-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Jim,

I've got to agree with almost everything there.  I made my electric with the Monster Power 46, unlimited vertical.  The only thing I couldn't really get it to do was knife edge, too small of a rudder I guess.  But the rest, landing the thing was great!  It made a good first lowing trainer.

Are you getting any more confused Avistarpilot? 

Take care,
David
Old 08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
kerwin50

I like a twist. reason being is it is very gentle yet the wind does not bother it. It just makes it fun. Alot of fun
Talk about flatspins and lomchavks thier a breeze. This plane is just much to easy to fly
Old 08-23-2012, 03:00 PM
buzzard bait

David, I've been doing some knife edge with the LA Racer. I don't know if it's a good plane for that or not since I'm just learning and don't have any comparison for that.

The Twist is definitely for a different style. The LA Racer is faster and quite "fighter" like. I would expect the fat airfoil of the Twist to give you much slower, tighter maneuvers, and it's probably easier to fly. It depends on what you like. What I like changes. Right now I'm really enjoying the giant, fast, roaring, towering maneuvers I can do with the Racer. Also inverted spins, flat inverted turns, snap rolls and bad looking (so far) slow rolls. I suspect slow rolls would be easier to learn with a Twist though.

Jim
Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Oops! Guess I misread that a little. I was thinking Sky Raider Mach II when I talked about the knife edge. I haven't seen or flown the LA Racer, might look the same, but...

I have seen but not flown a Twist, Kerwin50. Looks like a fun little thing. Wonder how it compares to a Handyman? Good little park flyer.

Well, I'm not in this for a new plane just yet, no money for that, too many bills!!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:58 AM
acdii

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

If you can find a 4*60, they make a really good flyer too. I know where there are 2 4*40 ARF's, a red and a yellow one, but haven't seen any 60's.  I have the 120 with a DLE20 on it and it is a blast to fly.  I'm tempted to get the yellow 4*40, but then would need another engine and servos.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:36 PM
GoBeach75

I fly a VQ Models Fly Baby and is is a great easy to fly plane. This was my 2nd plane and it is super easy to fly. I put a 4130/04 motor in it and it flys like a 40 size sport plane. Low wing and good looking. It is the perfect 2nd plane.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/vq-glb-fly-baby-50-size-arf-airplane-63-span-ep-gp.html
Old 08-25-2012, 11:25 AM
frivera12

Escapade 40 with 55ax, it really hauls................