Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Model Cessna 337 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Model Cessna 337 ARF

Old 09-19-2020, 10:54 PM
mgp1970

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a couple more good flights with this model yesterday.

You do in fact need a very SMALL amount of down elevator when the flaps are activated. This is what I had eventually but with landing it is all too easy to run out of elevator as mentioned above in a few places.
I bounced a bit as I ran out of elevator but luckily I was very close to the ground at the time so zero damage.
From now on I think I will be landing without flap at all as well as taking off without any.
The strip I fly from is grass and not that long but I find it is sufficient to be able to do this, and as said in my opinion I think landing without flap is a lot safer giving the tendency of this model to "run out!."

With the x2 .55AX motors on board it certainly is not lacking any power at all either!
Old 09-22-2020, 05:48 AM
FPVWINGSCV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgp1970
Had a couple more good flights with this model yesterday.

You do in fact need a very SMALL amount of down elevator when the flaps are activated. This is what I had eventually but with landing it is all too easy to run out of elevator as mentioned above in a few places.
I bounced a bit as I ran out of elevator but luckily I was very close to the ground at the time so zero damage.
From now on I think I will be landing without flap at all as well as taking off without any.
The strip I fly from is grass and not that long but I find it is sufficient to be able to do this, and as said in my opinion I think landing without flap is a lot safer giving the tendency of this model to "run out!."

With the x2 .55AX motors on board it certainly is not lacking any power at all either!
that's great, how much runway run does it take you on take off?
Old 09-22-2020, 11:11 PM
mgp1970

With the two O.S 55ax's it doesn't need much runway at all with zero flap.

It takes a lot more runway trying to bring it down softly but not a crazy amount still.
I am quite comfortable doing zero flap landings as well as take offs now as I think using flap with landing means you run out of elevator and easily bounce.
It doesn't give a whole lot of warning either so I can see how some of the guys who have posted had damaged main and nose gear issues.

So basically for me flaps are useless and I certainly do not need them for taking off also.
Once in the air it flies quite well and is fairly maneuverable. I have not done any loops with it yet but it rolls easily........
Old 10-09-2020, 04:03 AM
mgp1970

Have flown my Cessna now for quite a few flights.
I believe that using flaps AT ALL is needless and useless and makes you run out of elevator control VERY quickly.
My club has a grass strip that is not what I would consider smooth or long in length at all and I have both taken off and landed without flaps at all and I have been in control the whole time.

TODAY! I did another two flights and the rear motor still seems to be overheating so I will be taking the rear cowling off and fabricating vents directly to the head.
To say that it has enough power is an understatement lol! Half throttle it flies like nothing else even with the rear motor carrying on like a cow on heat.....!?

Also on the second flight I lost BOTH engines as if I had flicked the throttle cut switch ( I assure you I DID NOT!).

Had enough height and was positioned fairly well that I did a landing dead stick x2 engines and zero flap!
Old 10-09-2020, 04:07 AM
mgp1970

PS FPV re takeoff distance I was up in less than 30 metres consistently today. This model is heavy but does want to fly.
If you have more runway ahead of you let it rotate and climb out at a shallow rate.
It will BITE YOUR ASS though if you do not fly it correctly.
Similar to a fighter but a bit more forgiving!!!