Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

HK Rotating Retracts TF Corsair 60 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

HK Rotating Retracts TF Corsair 60 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HK Rotating Retracts TF Corsair 60 ARF

Here's an 18 second video showing Hobby King rotators in the center section of a Top Flite Corsair 60 ARF.
http://youtu.be/xplUdKgenKs
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 AM
Tony Iannucelli

Default RE: HK Rotating Retracts TF Corsair 60 ARF

In response to questions: these retracts cost $29 for the pair, plus about $5 shipping. They include 5mm struts which are heavier than 3/16", and they also include all hardware and axles. They have metal trunions. I used H9 warbird wheels in the video and will use them on the plane. I've cycled them at least 40 times. They do not heat up, they don't use a lot of battery, have built in electronic safeguards, and overall seem like a real bargain to me. I use the non-rotators in several other planes with great success. I think they are a real break thru on cost and dependability. Very easy to install too.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Keep us informed Tony and thanks for the vid. Very interesting if they hold up in actual operation. At that price you could have a couple sets of spares! I've got a TF Corsair ARF on the shelf and may consider these. Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
opjose

Yes please let us know.

Also let us know how the 5mm wire supplied with the retracts fares.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 PM
SkyPilot101

Delete
Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys , I hate to rain on your parade but i started what turned out to be about a 30 page forum in another website on these retracts.
My goal at the time was to compare them to the $89 retracts from horizon as far as overall electronics , strength ect .
The good news is that for $29 they are great and hands down they beat the Horizon $89 version with zero problems .

But just like the Horizon gear sold at $89 , they are not suitable for planes over 6 lbs (long term ) .
The problem is in the worm gear , it simply is to weak to handle the load of planes long term over 6 lbs .
Again , I am not an advocate of the more expensive gear , just matching the right hear with the correct weight of the plane
Old 01-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Tony Iannucelli

I've got 40+ flights on my Spitfire, probably 60-80 on my AT-6, and never a problem. There have been a few hard landings and a couple of nose-overs. The gear always has held up. My piloting skills are not always on the money and the AT-6 struts have been tweaked more than once, but the retract units remain perfect. I re-bend the struts and fly some more. Electronics stay good. The struts on the Spitfire are 5mm and are very strong. They are Top Flite P-47 struts. These are 10 pound airframes. I've used Robarts on them also. They lift the extra weight no problem. These are the SAME units as the ones labeled "46" size (7.7 pounds) on one HK listing, and are rated for ten pounds on another. The rotators actually have metal trunnion blocks and 5mm struts where the 90 degree units are composite trunnions. My money is on the rotators to be just as strong or stronger. That being said, the wheel landings will be controlled and not crashed into the ground (hopefully). Time will tell. My last Corsair was "fun" especially in cross winds.

Given the cost of these, I'm sure there will be worn out parts after a while, but can't imagine I won't get my money's worth five times over any others. HK sells a lot of them. Get them when you can if you are going to try them.

We all need to go with the experiences we've had. Mine have been good. Actually, couldn't ask for better. If you try them, I hope you have good luck too. -Tony
Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
LDM

Tony , I think its great and I am very glad that you are getting great results . Perhaps they introduced a heavier version then the ones we tested . I am 100% in your camp and my original thread was started because I could not understand why I would pay $89 for retracts that I could get at the time for $ 7.00 a unit ($14.00 ) in total . and they worked great and equal to the $89 .
Then it dawned on me that between the USA distributor mark up and build in margin for warranty they needed to build all those things into the cost .
If you visit RC Castle , you can get a set of rotating gear with a scale corsair wheels, aluminum struct covered in a plastic scale looking corsair gear leg for $69 bucks . I will try to post a picture
Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 PM
LDM

Could not find my pics on the corsair ones that I have , I will take some on Friday , this is the same type offered but P51 style
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61789.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1841616  
Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 PM
LDM

Ok , this is the FMS corsair gear , sold by RC Castle with wheels , struts ect, designed for the 67" FMS corsair
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25510.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1841621  
Old 01-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Tony Iannucelli

Those look neat. Since they include functioning struts and wheels too the price is fair. One thing I don't like about those and the HKs is that the footprint is small, almost square. I have some fear those big tires will act like the end of a lever on a hard landing and since the struts are strong they will pull the screws out of the mounting rails or worse. The shock absorbers would be a real bonus in a bad landing. (Not that we have bad landings occasionally, oh no). The worry will go away after some less than perfect landings will prove no damage. In fact, I'm counting on it. The rails in the wing look pretty strong too. I can see there's enough glue in there and the wood is hard. I'm really slow on the build, so it will be a while before the test flights. Thanks for the information. It's always good to learn new stuff even after 40 years in R/C. Yikes, that's a long time.

PS, I wish the Robarts were electric and about 1/3rd the price. They have a footprint that looks proper for this plane. But I'm finished with pneumatic retracts, and paying high prices. Tony
Old 01-18-2013, 07:55 PM
LDM

Thats a long time Tony , hahah , just kidding buddy , by the way Hello from another Itialian "DiMarco" !!
52 years of age , been dreaming about rc when I was a teen , could not afford it , but had a great dad who always tried to make it happen . Then college , marrage , great kids , and the last 4 years back in RC .Good news , I can afford it now lol , so I to be careful not to spend on silly rc whims , like you I look for great values.
I am useing Turnegy 80 degree retracts in my Platt dora kit , there not bad , all medal ect but the circuit board has some gaps and that creates slop in the retracts .
If anyone stumbles on the Turnegy rotating all medal gear retracts , dont buy them , the motor is infront of the assembly and will force you to cut into the leading edge of your plane to get the retracts to fit !!!
Have a great weekend !!!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 AM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ate_Pair_.html
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Tony Iannucelli

Here they are in action, no cutting necessary.

http://youtu.be/xplUdKgenKs
Old 01-20-2013, 07:37 PM
m3_express

LDM,

Interesting. I didn't know these existed. I looked up the FMS 1.7M Corsair and it seems the AUW is about 9.5 lbs... So, it seems these retracts could hold up work well with the TF Corsair. Just need to find the specs on the strut length and wheel diameter....

M3
Old 01-20-2013, 08:08 PM
LDM

i have an extra set and will measure them for you, i bought them for my red box P40
Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 PM
m3_express

LDM,

That would be great if you would do so. I have the TF Corsair .60 ARF and was going to go the Lado route but I'd love to save ~$200 by using these if possible.

M3.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM
LDM

m3 no problem we soon as i return home from work on Monday will post pics and get you the measurments ,possibly post a video
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 AM
LDM

M3 this is the retracts and there size
http://youtu.be/tbfQCXcqf2I
Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM
m3_express

LDM,

Awesome vid. Thanks for taking the time to make the video. So it seems the measurement is 6.5" from top of retract housing to center of the wheel and about 3.75" for the wheel diameter.

You state that they seem fairly robust; but I'm still concerned about the fact the strut housing is made out of plastic.... How does the rotating mechanism appear? From the video, it looks like there is a pin used to rotate the gear. I wonder how stout this method will be in preventing the gear to twist out on a less-than-perfect landing.

M3

Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 PM
LDM

m3 the gear unit is very very stout .THe FMS corsair is in the 9 to 11 pound range .
The least of the concern is the mechanism , the legs do not have to be purchased and you can add struts of your choice .
So far those using them on the FMS corsair have had zero issues .
All of the Electric units have a linear type drive screw that rides over a circuit board .
The ones used on the FMS gear is very heavy duty and the compression strut takes mush of the load .A Robart strut, VQ , Shindig , RC Ski lite etc will only add to the durability.
I am going to draw the footprint of the gear and take better closeups on Thursday night
Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Ijust ordered a set of these tonight http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...roduct_Count=0 even though the motor is in the front the dimensions will fit inside the opening of my Top Flite P-40 ARFwithout modifications. They look pretty solid and only cost $112 shipped. When I get them Iwill do a report and let you all Know. Thanks LDM for your video again and your help.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 PM
LDM

Hi Raptureboy , that gear in the pic is the RC lander gear . I hope they will work for you but in most cases the motor is prohibitive as you stated because it will cut into the leading edge.
I do see the great forward rake so perhaps they will allow you to install them far enought back so that the motor will clear the leaging edge .
Keep us posted and good luck
Old 01-26-2013, 03:42 PM
raptureboy

LDM, thanks. Iknow what about the motor but looking at the total length of the unit and the size of the opening in the wing of my P-40 I know they will fit, but my only concern will be where the strut will fall as it crosses over the spar.I really like that they are made of metal so cross our fingers and hope fro the best
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM
raptureboy

Well the new retracts came in today, Iwill have to say that they seem very well made and operate without issue. Idon't think they will work for the corsair and hellcats without some major changes to your setup because the motor is mounted in the front, but because Iam using them in a P-40 which has the retract covers it should not bea problem. Iwill post some pics and video in a day or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.