Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Funtana 125 Balance point

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Funtana 125 Balance point

Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 PM
BoiseBee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Funtana 125 Balance point

I'd like to hear from anyone who has the funtana 125 (or) 100 what balance (CG) point was used and was that diff than the manual? How is the flying with that CG? I'm running a 91FX up front. Other engines being used?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Funtana 125 Balance point

Mine was gas, 10.5lbs all up, ran CG 1" in back of suggested. Not sure how a lighter engine would affect that, but I wouldn't even consider trying anything until flown as the plans suggest for a little while? Time to get used to the plane a little? Then, do what it takes to get it neutral..... I remember it handling aft CG fairly well?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 AM
BoiseBee

Thanks for the info. Over the years, I have had several plane manuals give completely incorrect CG's, even after the usual warning to balance to their specs. When the plane's in the air is not a good time to discover the error. I'm hoping for closer to the 8.5 lbs in their specs.

One other question if you don't mind. I fly this plane on my sim and it really floats on landing. Have you noticed this with your config?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 AM
ahicks

That's a Katana characteristic (the full scale plane the Funtana is modeled after). The wing carries a little extra wing area - located inboard rear corner of each wing - that other planes don't have? The Funtana uses that as well - making the airframe a little "floatier" than some. I think you'll see that when you start flying the model as well. Nice when you start playing around with high alfa stuff. When I lost my Funtana I built an 80" Katana that I still fly pretty regularly. Same story, "floaty"..... the reason I like it! Hope I don't loose that one as well. I haven't seen anything like it since I bought it! Good luck!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 AM
BoiseBee

Thanks for the help. Good luck to you also!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 AM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pulse 125 floats well. Mine is toward the back of the range they show in the manual, more AFT but still in the manual range. Dont make it nose heavy you dont need it. Also, consider moving your landing gear forward 3/4" by using the front holes in the bottom of fuse and drilling new ones for the front of the gear. Very long forum on this bird, you should read it first lots of good information out there. Mine is DLE 20 now after I removed the Evolution 1.20 glow, but I didnt fly with the gas yet, but balanced very close to same just by moving my ignition and Rx battery back some.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Uhhh..... you DO NOT want to get this puppy tail heavy.... [X(]

I've still got one of the original yellow 90's with a YS-110 on the front. It came in at about 9 pounds which is about as light as anybody got 'em according to that huge thread on the Funtana 90. I wound up putting in a pull pull rudder setup to get the weight out of the tail by moving at least the rudder servo forward. I don't remember the exact measurement on the suggested CG, but I put mine 1/2" in front of the suggested forward limit for the Maiden flight and while I learned to fly the thing (I went to it from a Nexstar...) and it was definitely nose heavy but very stable. I cannot tell you where the CG is now as I gradually moved the battery back as I grew more proficient. There are guys flying these things who have to use down elevator when they land because the CG is so far back and I don't like that at all as these models do float as noted and fighting a trim situation where you need down elevator to land isn't my kind of flying.... lol
Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 AM
ahicks

Again, a rear CG is not for the uninitiated. I would agree completely on test flights. Start right where they tell you to!

After that, when you're all settled in with time to think, CG is a matter of what you are used to, expect out of the plane, and experience? As mentioned, my suggestion is not about test flights. It's for an experienced flyer with some time on a well sorted out airframe. There's no way I would ask a rookie flier if he'd like to try landing some of my planes! Some do take a poke of down elevator to get it heading down.... no more pull back on the throttle to go into "landomatic/trainer mode" left in them. They need to be flown right down to the ground!

When you pull back on the throttle with no further correction a rear CG plane will slow to the point it will quite literally fall out of the sky. Not cool on short final.... With rear CG, controlling the planes airspeed becomes your responsibility, something you must become aware of - at all times. If it requires some down elevator on final, so be it (adding power might be another option?).

Regarding the upside of a rear CG, if you want to see how slow a plane really can fly (harrier/high alpha?), you'll normally need to start moving the CG back. (You're actually lowering the stall speed with this move?) Many are the same way regarding getting a neutral elevator for uncoupled knife edge flight (needing the CG moved back).

Nothing written in stone here. Just something to think about if you haven't considered it already? -Al