Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60 size corsair arf

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 60 size corsair arf

Old 12-01-2003, 10:23 PM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 60 size corsair arf

Just went to the LHS Hobby Express in Cincinnati, OH. Picked up my Corsair. Great price at Hobby Express, $249.95. Worked out to $267.45 with tax. Cheaper than mail ordering from Horizon. Anyone else find a good price on it? I don't know what part they might have had problems with, but I have to think it was the cowl. The finish on mine isn't as smooth as I would like. Another of the planes that Scott received had a cowl that was really bad. He is going to have to have Horizon send him another one. I never had nor saw the retracts on the 60 sized p-51, but the retracts wire itself looks to be pretty darn beefy on the corsair. I wouldn't think bending is going to be a problem. I didn't pull my wing out to actuate the retracts, so I can't tell you how well they do or don't work. Over all the covering, and the construction seems to be very high quality. The parts all appear to laser cut, is this a standard practice on most ARF's? I would imagine it would make for quicker, more error free assembly. I am excited to get it together and fly it, but I think I am going to put it on hold while I finish up a few other projects that are already on the bench. Besides, then I will be able to take advantage of the great tips that you guys will undoubtably provide. Sorry, no digital camera hear that is worth a squat, so I won't embarrass myself by posting crappy grainy pictures. Everyone who is jumping right in to build there's, keep us informed of how things go!!

Allan
Old 12-02-2003, 01:43 AM
LDJL

Please let me know what you think.....
Guys, I'm pretty new at this and RC Universe but I have enjoyed all of the dialogue on this topic. The Corsair will be my 4th plane and I am planning to use an OS .91 4stroke (Surpass I) with a 3 blade 13x8 prop. I'd be interested in your opinions. Thanks
Old 12-02-2003, 11:46 AM
meierm01
My Feedback: (1)

More on the retracts -

I quickly built the wing to test the retracts, and I'm not happy with them.

I posted earlier that there is a small set screw at the front of the retract base that you can adjust to reduce the front to back 'slop'. When you adjust the screw to eliminate all slop, the retracts hardly deploy and lock. So, I was forced to live with a bit of slop - no biggie I guess, but with rotating gear flying off of grass, I would be happiest without any gear movement.

Now, with the gear deployed, I did some 'tug' tests with the wheels on to see how much (if any) the gear would allow the wheels to move. The results - even when the gear was 'locked' it was really easy for the wheels to 'twist', due to the plastic ball links that control the rotation. And, on many occasions I was able to pull the gear right out of lock. Not good, especially if flying from grass!

I'm not really disappointed or surprised, however. I had anticipated fitting some other gear onto this bird from the get go, as I had built a number of other ARFs with plastic mechanical gear and always replaced them with 'beefier' models.

So, I have a set of Century Jet retracts coming today. From the dimensions, they should fit with only slight modifications to the mounting blocks (adding to the existing, or raising the existing). Both the stock H9s and the CJs are 90 degree rotating, and have similar sized mounting plates (although the CJs plate seems to be slightly smaller, which is fine). I'll post more info when I am able to test fit the CJ retracts.

Other than that, the rest of the model looks great! The cowl on my kit is flawless and looks great, so anyone with problems should definitely call Horizon.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:48 AM
PigMan Buggerus

Which retract from century jet did you decide on(ie. model number), and what was the price if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!

Allan
Old 12-02-2003, 11:54 AM
PigMan Buggerus

LDJL,
I PM'd you, but it seems as if things were a little messed up this morning. As to your question, a three bladed prop would probably fly the plane fine, although you will sacrifice a little power due to the inherent inefficiency of 3 blades vs. 2. I do like the looks of a 3 bladed prop though. I say go for it, if you find that you would like a little more power/speed, switch out to a 14x8 2 blade prop.

Allan
Old 12-02-2003, 12:52 PM
F.Ciccarello
My Feedback: (60)

Can't tell from the photos if the plane has flaps, can anyone comment on that.
ie: flaps would be a nice scale addition.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:09 PM
PigMan Buggerus

no flaps
Old 12-02-2003, 05:52 PM
meierm01

Well, I got the Century Jet retracts and it looks like they'll work perfectly! The strut length is exactly the same as the H9 mechanicals, and the only thing needed to mount the CJs in the wing is some extra mounting rail height - not a big deal at all.

The model is the Centurian by Century Jet for the Top Flite Gold Edition Corsair.

Here's a link to the Tower page ($215.00):
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXA799&P=7

I'll try to post some pics of the installation, but it may be a few days - I'm really busy at work at the moment and don't have much build time available until Sunday.

mark
Old 12-02-2003, 09:27 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Now, with the gear deployed, I did some 'tug' tests with the wheels on to see how much (if any) the gear would allow the wheels to move. The results - even when the gear was 'locked' it was really easy for the wheels to 'twist', due to the plastic ball links that control the rotation. And, on many occasions I was able to pull the gear right out of lock. Not good, especially if flying from grass!
Meierm, did you have a servo attached and powered up when you did the test? All mechanical retracts will unlock and fold in that situation if a servo isn't there to hold the lock in and keep the slop out. I'm not saying the retracts aren't weak, but I have a set of air retracts on a plane and the pressure on the cam by the air ram keeps the gear tight and slop free. Without air the same retracts wobble. Maybe we should wait and see how they do in the real world instead of replacing them without trying. With that said, I'll probably go with the CJM units if I get one because they look so much better and are a whole lot more durable.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:06 PM
meierm01

rcmigpilot -
Yes, I had a Futaba retract servo powered with both 4.8 and 6.0v during my tests - same result.

Update on the CJ retracts - on further inspection, they are actually a bit wider than the existing mounting area, so there are two choices:
1) route out the existing mouting area
2) trim the mounting plates on the retracts

Option two is the easiest, as there is ample room on the retract mounting plate, and the mounting blocks on the wing are only as wide as two ribs.
I don't really want to expand into the ribs, so I'll trim each side of the retracts (about 1/8" total). There will still be plenty of room for the mounting screws.
Also, there will need to be about 1" high of extra mounting blocks added to the existing retract mounts, and the existing mounts will have to be routed a bit to fit the air cylinder.

All of these mods are quite simple - even more so than the mods needed to add Robart retracts to the .60 size H9 P-51 and the 1.20 size H9 P-51, both of which I have made previously. I'll post pics as soon as I start the mods.

mark

P.s. I did a trial fit on the wings with a bit of tape, and MAN! These retracts look great on this plane! Much improved scale looks.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:12 PM
JAkridge

****For any who care or has'nt seen it yet there's a topic going now at the warbird section on a new set of air retracts by serria that should fit this plane.
I for one will fork out the 200+ for a set to put in this plane.
Just not 100% sure they will fit .. I'LL MAKE UM FIT...
Old 12-02-2003, 11:40 PM
PigMan Buggerus

I pulled out a wing and tried the retracts, mine has a little side to side twist, but very little. This is my first experience with retracts, so maybe I am way off, but I believe that they will work. I guess time will tell. I really don't want to put another $215 into this plane if at all possible. Anyone else think that their stock retracts are going to work?

Allan
Old 12-03-2003, 12:27 AM
Fatboydrvr

Have you guys checked these out? http://www.vqmodelaircraft.com/produ...90retract.html

Wonder if they will work for this model?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:31 AM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

I had them in my VQ P-40 and they are JUNK. I would not recommend them at all.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:00 AM
SeaDog-RCU

I picked up a Corsair this afternoon, LHS got two in, I took one and the other was already sold before I got there. We looked at each kit, they looked well built, and the covering was well done. Found no cowling, or covering issues on either kit. The airframe feels real light for its size.
I think it will be a fun plane to fly next spring, there are other projects ahead of it on the workbench. Think I'll be using a RCV 90 on this plane, I also think I'll paint the thing in WW2 trim.
It'll never be scale, but what the heck.
Really looking forward to hearing about you guys building and flying opinions on this plane, and what mods you come up with.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:01 AM
HotelSierra
My Feedback: (9)

Hey guys, which pnuematic gear are more reliable & stronger, the Robarts or the Century jet(for the 60 size corsair)?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:03 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, the numbers are painted onto the cowl, which is unfortunate for me as I intend to change the paint scheme to WWII:

Oh well, the cowl can be repainted.

The stock retracts will work, maybe up to around 30-40 flights. Then they will develop slop, and no matter how much you tweak those set screws, you will never be able to remove the slop. Mine will have a set of air retracts.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:42 AM
MormonMike

Guys, you know if H9 would just take the time to do the d-mm thing right in the first place, WE the consumers would'nt have to correct the problems. I bought mine last night and yes the mains will develop into a problem as I looked into it. Robostrut 650's will correct the looks but the retract mechinism will develop slop in about 30-40 landings. Oh well, nobody twisted my arm to buy it. Maybe the 120 size will be better. Later guys, MJS
Old 12-03-2003, 09:59 AM
meierm01

HotelSierra -
The Century Jets seem to be much stronger. Many have reported problems with the Robarts (do a search here on RCU and see for yourself).

A few differences -
The Robarts have a larger mounting profile and would require quite a bit of modification to the H9 Corsair's mounting area, while the CJs require only a bit of material removed from each side of their mounting plate and an increased hight of the wing's mounting blocks.
Second, the Robarts are 100 deg while the CJs are 90 deg. Not a big deal for this project, as the stock H9 gear are also 90 deg.
The CJs have 'real' struts and functioning oles, while the Robarts are wire.

Hope that helps,
mark
Old 12-03-2003, 10:36 AM
Fatboydrvr

Are there plans for a 120 size?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:51 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CJ's retracts are not 90°. I have a pair on my Kyosho Corsair and another pair on my GSP Hellcat, and both pairs are 95°. The retract angle can be seen in the picture below:

Look at the strut in relation to the mounting base. It is more than 90°.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:13 PM
Hellcat716

I would suggest Sierria Percision retracts.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:53 PM
BillPTC

Received the new Corsair yesterday, 2 Dec, at the store. Looks good. Do not like the rear servos mounted outside, will mount inside and change the tail wheel steering for inside linkage.
Bill
Old 12-03-2003, 08:09 PM
meierm01

My mistake!

Richard L is correct, the CJ retracts are indeed 95 deg, not 90 deg. That makes them even better!

mark
Old 12-03-2003, 08:52 PM
davham
My Feedback: (4)

Can you believe there are already 3 of these planes on ebay............

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.