Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

G.p.pitts / G-62 First Flights

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

G.p.pitts / G-62 First Flights

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 03:15 PM
RICKY ROCKET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G.p.pitts / G-62 First Flights

Originally posted by knpjdad
What prop you running with the G-62?
I'm using a Zinger 20x8-14 prop. Seems to give me more speed, and better pulling power. Turning about 6500+ RPM. and better ground clearence.

I tried using Zinger 22x10 props, which fly it pretty good, although the Pro Zinger 22x10 prop seemed to perform much better than the standard Zingers. However, it didn't take much of a nose over, :stupid: or a bouncy landing to nick the prop rendering it useless.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:44 PM
knpjdad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using a Zinger 22x8 and was wondering about the clearance.. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:05 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by RCISMYLIFE
rcpecc:
The beefing up of the landing gear depends on the finished weight of the plane, Mine weighs in @ 18# dry & 21# wet with fuel & smoke oil. I rigged mine with 135# leader wire from the bottom of one side of the gear to the top of the opposite side with springs @ the top. @ first I used a light duty spring & after a slightly hard landing it spread the gear. I straightened the gear & used heavier springs & all is ok now. As I said before the mods you decide to use on the gear is pretty much defined by the weight of the finished product.
Good luck
Gil
I am thinking about getting one of these.

Anyone else have engine and all up weight info?

18 lbs seems a bit heavy.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:43 AM
rfw1953

Default First Flight

Yippee! Had my first flight on my Pitts and all I can say is, Wow! What fun!! After getting the operator/pilot errors out of the way we had success. The Fuji 50 performed well. I still have much to learn about gassers and 1/3 scale airplanes, but after 2 flight and having everything hold together nicely, I'm very pleased. Thanks to the many threads on this post for your help. I am especially appreciative for the comments on flight characteristics. Yes, power on landing.............Here is a picture of my first flight and proof
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64235_11582.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	6431  
Old 03-20-2003, 02:23 AM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default Prettty

Nice Shot....
Keep checking for loose nuts, screws, etc.......
If you have one of the IMAA CHECK SHEETS perform that before each flying session and might catch a loose something........
Old 03-20-2003, 03:09 AM
rcpecc
My Feedback: (3)

Default 3WB2 installation

Gil
Thanks for the info. I've just finished the motor installation. The snow is starting to melt and I'm getting the fever.

Joe
Old 03-20-2003, 11:10 AM
clevis

Default antenna

I'd like to get more input on how you folks routed your antenna in the pitts so that it is completely concealed. The antenna tube is shorter than the antenna wire. What do you do with the rest of the wire? Loop it somehow inside the fuse? My throttle and choke servos are about the head of the cockpit, receiver and battery are at the rear of the cockpit and the elevator & rudder servos are located at the tail end. Would appreciate any comments.

Many thanks.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:11 PM
rfw1953

Default Don't coil

Mounted antenna outside the fuselage as recommended in the multiple threads. IMHO Don't coil If you coil the antenna you reduce the range and are more susceptible to interference. I mounted mine outside and up to the tail.

I bet I read each one of the post in this thread and on others. I have to say that it really helped me avoid some real potential problems. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:12 PM
Tim_Indy

Default Re: GP Pitts

Originally posted by rcpecc
HI! Roger and Gil

I finally opened the box with the Pitts and was impressed at the quality and substances of this kit. ...... Hopefully I will git this ready for summer, after I finish the 330L.

Joe
Hey Joe, which 330L are you putting together? (just curious). I, too, am finally getting around to putting my GP Pitts together (got the wings joined at least! ) Guess I'll check the wings and beef up the firewall for my Taurus 52 next.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:37 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default Lets get going!!

Tim:
You need more then wings for the PITTS.
Sorry you did not get to see mine fly in when you where here.
I have flown mine a couple more times since we where together, snapped it a couple of times and does it snap.
After disassembling her to take home one of the 90 degree brackets that help hold the top wing on fell apart in my hand.
Had already ordered the beef up from GP, just had gotten them on yet.
Just small minor things you have to keep tinkering with to keep it flying. But if I remember right my other gasser was the same way. Took all summer to get all the bugs worked out.
Get the PITTS done before I come over there to the INTERNET FLY and we will fly in formation (LOL)
Lets us know the progress.
RORO
(Roger)
Old 03-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Tim_Indy

Default Re: I used a MatchBox

Originally posted by RORO
Have about 10 flights, have added smoke.
Fine tuning every time I go up, but do not need to do much tuning as it flies pretty good.

Roger
Hey Roger, finally getting started on mine, and glad there is a wealth of info here to go by. I expect (hope) the flight characteristics to be similar to the Cermark Pitts (couple inches smaller wingspan than the GP) that I put over 100 flights on before selling it. After mixing out the pitch and roll coupling at the transmitter, the Cermark was excellent at super slow rolls, rolling circles, point rolls, knife edge loops, etc.

Looking forward getting back in the Pitts mix, you guys have answered most of my questions already, but I'll holler if I need help.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:53 PM
Tim_Indy

Default Re: Lets get going!!

Originally posted by RORO
Tim:
You need more then wings for the PITTS.
LOL, yep, I'd better get on the stick! I've had the the plane, motor, servos since September, just haven't gotten to them yet.

Sorry you did not get to see mine fly in when you where here..................Get the PITTS done before I come over there to the INTERNET FLY and we will fly in formation (LOL)

Lets us know the progress.
RORO
Sounds like a plan to me! BTW, you guys aren't gonna wait till the INTERNET FLY-IN to come over are you?

I'll keep you guys posted on Pitts Progress!
Old 03-21-2003, 02:27 PM
rcpecc

Default Re: Re: GP Pitts

Originally posted by Tim_Indy
Hey Joe, which 330L are you putting together? (just curious). I, too, am finally getting around to putting my GP Pitts together (got the wings joined at least! ) Guess I'll check the wings and beef up the firewall for my Taurus 52 next.
Hi Tim

The 330L is Hangar 9 1/3- I've installed a 3w78 B2 that I was using on a Carden Cap 30%. The engine is a bit heavy for the Cap so, it was replaced with a 3W48 B2 wich putsout 5Hp and swing a 21x10 prop.
I've uploaded picture of another 3W48 B2 installed on the Pitts; somewhere along the way they got lost.
I chouse to finish the fuse first do to the difficult engine installation because of the rear carb. The problem was working the choke ant truttle since they endedup inside the firewall box.

Joe
Old 03-21-2003, 08:29 PM
rcpecc

Default Re: Re: Re: GP Pitts

Originally posted by rcpecc
Hi Tim

The 330L is Hangar 9 1/3- I've installed a 3w78 B2 that I was using on a Carden Cap 30%. The engine is a bit heavy for the Cap so, it was replaced with a 3W48 B2 wich putsout 5Hp and swing a 21x10 prop.
I've uploaded picture of another 3W48 B2 installed on the Pitts; somewhere along the way they got lost.
I choose to finish the fuse first do to the difficult engine installation because of the rear carb. The problem was working the choke ant thruttle since they endedup inside the firewall box.

Joe
Old 03-27-2003, 05:43 PM
agbjarn

Hello all

You may want to take a look at Tony Clark's 1/3 Pitts. See how he mounts the G62 and note the large silencer. He uses the "hydro mount" vibration damper he sells.

Pitts pictures:

http://www.toni-clark.com/index_en.htm

You may also want to download his three catalogs.

Regards

Agust
Old 03-29-2003, 02:15 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

agbjarn:
The tony clark pitts really looks good with the g-62, I cant wait to get in from offshore. I have some work to do to mine & i'm looking forward to getting some flying in while i'm home.
Take it easy

Gil
Old 03-29-2003, 03:02 AM
rfw1953

Default Love those Star and Stripes

Agbjam,

Love those stars and stripes. Thanks! Airplane looks great.