Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Super Sportster - What prop for OS 160FX?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Super Sportster - What prop for OS 160FX?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:42 AM
fheppenheimer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Super Sportster - What prop for OS 160FX?

I have this plane with a new OS 160FX (single cylinder two stroke) mounted, stock muffler and no Perry Pump: what prop to use for relaxing Sunday flying style, slow not fast, just a few simple maneuvers? I was thinking wood, maybe 18 x 6, but I'm afraid it won't load the engine correctly. Someone suggested 17 x 12 or 18 x10 and throttle back.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:56 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd try the 18x6. It's what I use on my Sysa 30 gasser GSS. If you're CG is on the plans suggested, you're going to have enough trouble getting it slowed down with that....
Old 08-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd probably try a low pitched 20" prop, maybe a 20x6. What is the all up weight of the airplane?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:16 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The 160 FX likes the APC 18x6W or 18x8. If you want to use wood, I think you would be happiest with an 18x8 as well. An 18x10 would easily top 90 mph, but the 18x8 would have good speed and better vertical. The 20x6 would be pretty slow, (maybe 55 mph wide open) but the acceleration and vertical would be awesome.

In these days of high fuel costs, using a big glow engine at reduced throttle is worth a lot in fuel savings, but you have to prop for decent acceleration when you need it. The 10 pitch would be pretty sluggish accelerating from half throttle, and you would need to use nearly full throttle all the time with the 6 pitch (regular blade). Our guys have all settled on the 6 wide or 8 pitch for the best performance and economy.

Jim

Last edited by jrf; 08-12-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jrf View Post
The 160 FX likes the APC 18x6W or 18x8.
I concur completely! I have a 160FX in a 17 pound Midwest Harvard and it provides stellar performance with an APC 18x6W. I have a second 160 going into a TF Staggerwing which will probably tip the scale at over 20 pounds and will start with the same prop on that one as well. Since the OP is looking for a bit more sedate performance and what I assume is probably a lightly loaded sport model the 20x6 might provide better take off and climb performance at the expense of top end speed. As you noted though, it may require more throttle thereby reducing the fuel economy. As such the more efficient 18 inch props might be a better choice and simply reduce the throttle to achieve the desired performance. If a wood prop is desired then I would definitely recommend avoiding the cheaper options (read Zinger) as they make better paint stirrers then they do airplane propellers!

PS - The OS 1.60FX and OS 1.08FSR have been the two most reliable glow engines I have ever owned. I am slowly replacing all my glow motors with gas but will keep at least one each of the aformentioned motors as they are really great powerplants that have no equal in certain applications as far as I'm concerned. My .02 cents anyway.