Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Piper Tri Pacer ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Piper Tri Pacer ARF

Old 04-28-2021, 12:49 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well guys getting close to the finish line, here are a few more pics of my detail, just had to do the fender on the nose wheel!!!!!
Struts on the tail feathers took most of the morning, drilling and inserting a threaded 4-40 sleeve in the fin and 2 in the stabilizer.
Fender on the front strut was an after thought, had a piece of 3" sch. 40 pvc pipe ( ID 3" ) turned it down on my lathe to get it thin,
then cut to size that looked right, tapped bottom of strut 4-40 and attached, bent 2-56 rod for fender stabilizer bars. Now got to
disassemble everything solder the strut end and fender bars, paint and put back together. Hopefully get to maiden it next month
if the rain will ever stop, our flying field is very soggy right now.

Front View with wing struts on

Upper Fin & stab bars

Lower stab bars

Front wheel fender side view

Front wheel fender head on view
Old 05-01-2021, 06:10 PM
Bill Diedrich

Not the quickest revamp of an ARF, went back and looked at the time line on this thread, I rec'd the kit on 9 / 08 / 2013
and finally have it finished and flight ready today 5 / 01/ 2021. (7 years, 8 months ) Will be test running the engine tomorrow,
weather permitting. First flight weather permitting mid to end of next week.

Bill D.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:04 PM
Bill Diedrich

Well here she is in all of her glory, decals applied, ready for test run of engine.

The following users liked this post:
capt1597 (05-02-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 10:16 PM
deadstickdan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought I'd put up a couple of pictures I took tonight of my progress so far. Not a scale paint scheme and while it's close to the original covering design of the ARF, it's a little different. Not really much covering left to do, I'm just a slow poke and it's been hard to keep my motivation up. Still need to order matching paint and clear for the cowl. The cabin door will be trimmed out to match the fuselage trim.

Dan

Right wing top

Left wing top

Last edited by deadstickdan; 05-05-2021 at 10:22 PM. Reason: add more info
capt1597 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 02:38 PM
Bill Diedrich

How did you end up hinging the door? I did mine in the same heat shrink film I used to cover the plane.
My "ON - OFF" switch is accessible by removing the front cabin hatch & windshield, keeps the outside
lines "slick & clean"! I decided to wait to do any type of interior detail till after the first flight, if all goes
well and it flies good then I will install a pilot and a couple of sperate more scale looking front seats.

First flight was to be today but had to take wife to doctor, rescheduled for Saturday. Wish me luck!!!

Bill D.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:04 PM
deadstickdan

Hi Bill, Don't know how it will hold up but it's better than stock setup, I bought hinges that were very similar to what came with the ARF. Used 3 hinges on the door. They look like this:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hatch-hi...en_us_products

The flat fixed part of the hinge I cut down and drilled a hole on each side of the center arm and used no 1 sheet metal screws to hold that part of the hinge to the door. The hinge side of the hinge I mounted to the inside edge of the door opening with no 1 screws also. I'll get some pictures of that when I get the door permanently mounted.

The colors in the picture are a little lighter than what they really are. I used Monokote Missile Red, Monokote Insignia Blue and Monokote white.

Hope everything goes well on the test flight!

Dan

Last edited by deadstickdan; 05-06-2021 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:41 AM
Bill Diedrich

Well bad news for the first flight, our flying field is temporarily closed due to the heavy rains
we have been experiencing in our area, field is saturated as is the road into the field. Was.
told they hope to re-open the field by next weekend if not sooner, depending on the rains
coming next week. This has been the wettest April (almost 27" of rain) and May ( 12.7"
of rain) so far this month.

Bill D.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:29 PM
deadstickdan

Hi Bill,

I'll see if this video works. Tried to make a video on my door hinge. Video quality is from an old phone but I think you'll see how I did it. In the first video I said they were machine screws but they are actually sheet metal screws.

Dan

Last edited by deadstickdan; 05-12-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:05 AM
Bill Diedrich

You need a door handle take a look at mine, bent it out of 3/32" aluminum wire over pliers and
cut to length for installation with epoxy.

BTW nice door hinge technique, looks like you rebuilt the door out of thicker material,

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 05-13-2021 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:37 PM
deadstickdan

Hi Bill,

The last 10% I have left to complete on this plane is taking more time and I guess it's because being picky slows things down. I have just about all the covering done. I ordered paint so I can repaint the cowl and I think I'll paint the trim on the windshield instead of using tape. Speaking of picky, I kept looking at the main wheels and it really started to bug me so I ordered wheels a bit larger at 2.75" and it looks much better. I also ordered the Robart nose strut pieces to see what I can do with that. I still need to finish the radio installation which leads me to a question. Where did you end up putting the receiver and battery? How long were the servo leads you used for the flaps and aileron servos?

Dan
Old 05-19-2021, 04:47 AM
Bill Diedrich

OK Dan here goes, the receiver was put on the floor next to the rear cockpit bulkhead,
used a small straw piece to the antenna wire vertically and another to hold the other one
in a horizontal position. I'm using a Futaba radio system. The battery is positioned just
forward of the elevator and rudder servos on the cockpit floor held in place with Velcro.
the leads for the ailerons and flaps are at present just dangling inside of the cockpit with
keepers on the connections, I will tidy this up after the maiden flight and run them down
the side post center cockpit.
For the time being I am sidelined for a couple of weeks, as I blew my left knee out and have
had to have surgery to re-attach the tenons in my knee, surgery was successful and will have
intense physical therapy for the next 2 weeks to get me mobile again. During the therapy
sessions I will be ale to work on my other project, my Byron RV-4 I've had for several years.
Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Bill D.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:04 PM
Bill Diedrich

Well my physical therapy has been going great and it looks like I'm almost back
to normal, if you can call it that at my age. Knee catches every now and then, a
reminder that it's going to take a while for the muscles and tendons to get back to
where I can walk without it catching or feeling like I have stretched something.
Test ran the engine on the Tri-Pacer and have the needle set at about the sweet
spot for the maiden flight which will probably take place mid week. Will report on
how it goes later.

Bill D.
capt1597 (05-30-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 08:43 PM
deadstickdan

Yep, I'm slow at getting this plane done. I am making progress and am not that far away from being done. I have the nosewheel strut in place, have the aileron servo extensions ordered, installed the front bulkhead support rods in a more scale like location and applied a matte black vinyl anti glare panel in front of the dash. The cowl is painted to match using West Wings RC paint and it came out really good. I also ordered better wheel axles and wing hold thumb screws (hope they work). I still need to attach the wing struts, complete the radio installation and then I should be just about set to go. I'll get pictures up when I get a little more progress done.

Dan
Old 06-17-2021, 02:46 AM
Bill Diedrich

Still no maiden as of yet, weather not being very co-operative down here, 1st day it is
favorable and I have to take my other half to a doctors appointment, maybe next week
after the big bout of rain moves through from the tropical depression in the Gulf of Mexico
headed our way, looks like they are forecasting 5-7 or 7-10 inches of rain over a 3 day
period from this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!