Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Anyone flying the new E-flite giant scale 85" span Carbon-Z Carbon Cub?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Anyone flying the new E-flite giant scale 85" span Carbon-Z Carbon Cub?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 05:43 PM
John_Geo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maidened the Cub, today. I flew it three times. On the first flight, I had the 5000mAh battery in position 9 in the Morgan Mills battery tray. I balanced the CG right at 120mm but the plane was tail heavy and needed a lot of down trim. For the second flight I moved the battery to the number 8 position which moved the CG about a 1/4" forward, it flew better with a lot less down trim. Even with the control surfaces tuned way down from the manual's recommendations it's still pretty aerobatic and a blast to fly. If I remember correctly I've got the surfaces set at 80% instead of the 120% suggested in the manual. At full up elevator it does a loop that looks more like a somersault.

So far, the only issues I've noticed was the elevator/flap mix...I had mine set at 7% for mid flaps and 15% for full flaps. It wasn't enough...but I still do not believe the 43% suggested in the manual. I'll increment the mix's up some and try the flaps again. On the third flight, I heard something rattling. I thought it was flutter but it turned out to be the plastic fairing on the right gear leg being loose.

I'm running an APC 15x6 prop and there's non of that propeller noise that I've heard with the stock E-Flite 15x5.5 prop. The stock motor turns the APC just fine. I don't know what the actual amperage is since I haven't hooked a watt meter to it, but as a precaution I installed the Turnigy 85amp ESC (the one with the arming switch) and everything worked just fine.

This is the first time using the Turnigy TGY-i10 radio and I"m pretty impressed with this transmitter. The only drawback I've noticed is that the programming screen is nearly impossible to see in the bright sunlight. Other than that, it was great.

All in all...a pretty good maiden experience.

Last edited by John_Geo; 01-04-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:20 AM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Winterflying

Some winterflying in Norway