Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

RC Guys 33% Pitts S1 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

RC Guys 33% Pitts S1 ARF

Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 AM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the guys here who have the RC Guys Pitts S1. I've read most of this thread but not all of it. I normally would build a plane like this but as of right now I have only two planes that even fly and I don't like flying either of them.

So I get the part where you say inexperienced need not apply and some work needs to be done. No problem with either of those things. I have only one question for you.

Knowing what you know about this plane would you still buy it?

I see the price range from different vendors from $500 to $550. The difference in shipping costs can make them all equal so I plan to call around and find out exact shipping costs if I buy one.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:37 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Hi Cafeen Man,

Nobody said that inexperienced need not apply. I'm doing this build thread to discuss what I've found, and I'm trying to go the extra mile to help those with less experience to work through the stickier parts. That's how we grow in RC, and helping others to grow is more of what RC is about than anything else.

If you're looking for a plane along these lines, but perhaps not as complicated, might I suggest the Great Planes Giant Super Sportster? It takes a 26 to 35cc engine, it has beautiful lines, two-piece wings, and has very few real building issues. And what a flyer! It's gorgeous. My favorite plane. I never rebuild crashed planes, and I rebuilt mine back to brand-new after breaking it in two on a power-line - that should give you some idea of how much I love this bird.

It's a huge thread, but you can see much about how I built my GSS here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-...ml#post4224277

The last I knew, the ARF GSS is about a hundred dollars less than the Pitts, and the shipping is less as well.

As for the RC Guys Pitts, knowing what I know about it, I'd still buy it, but I'd plan for a strip-down and recover first thing, with assembly done while it's in the bones, so the changes can all be made before the covering is applied. It has required substantial re-engineering, more than I would have hoped for, given the price. You can count on having spent $600.00 on average - delivered. Order it direct from Dan Speers at RC Guys if you order one.

~ Jim ~
Old 03-09-2014, 01:51 PM
WI53072

Dan Speers is an excellent customer service rep and stands behind his product. I just wish they would abandon the Chinacote if they haven't already. The covering is the only gripe I had and it wasn't even that bad to be totally honest. Their SD fly's very we'll on a DLE 35. It's flight characteristics were greatly enhanced with aileron differential and a tad of rudder mixing.

Paul
Old 03-09-2014, 04:01 PM
CafeenMan

Originally Posted by TexasSkyPilot View Post
Hi Cafeen Man,

Nobody said that inexperienced need not apply.

As for the RC Guys Pitts, knowing what I know about it, I'd still buy it, but I'd plan for a strip-down and recover first thing.

~ Jim ~
Actually someone did say inexperience need not apply. I'm not going back and looking for it but something meaning that was said.

I couldn't care less about Super Sportsters. I can scratch build something like that in my sleep in two weeks if I want to and it's Great Planes so I'd never even consider purchasing it.

Your last sentence answers my question. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:20 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by CafeenMan View Post
I couldn't care less about Super Sportsters. I can scratch build something like that in my sleep in two weeks if I want to and it's Great Planes so I'd never even consider purchasing it.
Well if your that bloody good then scratching a Pitts wilst awake should be of little effort!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:44 PM
CafeenMan

Sorry if I sounded harsh. But no, scratching a pitts takes a lot of time. I've been looking at the same pitts you're building (I've been following your thread for a few months) for a long time and plan to have on eventually but for now I just want to get a couple planes in the air quickly. If I ever get around to the Pitts you're building I don't plan to put that kind of effort into it. I want it for the flight qualities, not for the museum scale.

And I don't have to be that good to scratch a sportster. I mean planes don't get much simpler, right?
Old 03-09-2014, 04:51 PM
acerc

Yep, your absolutely right. I have seen a couple RCGUYS Pitts and would say, for an ARF they are not to bad.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 PM
CafeenMan

You know what? I just had a moment of genius. You should give me the Pitts you're building. Man.... I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. I'm up all night if you can drive it over now. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:10 PM
acerc

All it would take for that to happen is 10K!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 06:15 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Cafeen Man,

If it was said, then the choice of words was unfortunate and that particular sentiment was not intended. I'm pretty sure I made a point of saying that, with some effort and patience, even a less-experienced builder can make a good job of this Pitts ARF. That's why I'm here - to help others. Doing this is very time-comsuming for me, and overall it's not a great benefit to me to spend all this time taking photos and discussing each step with the guys. Even so, I consistently learn new tricks through this, and pick up some rare gems. I do the same thing at the flying field. I spend 2/3rds of my time there helping the other guys with issues. Just as the more experienced guys helped me thirty years ago when I was still learning. The unwritten rule I learned was that it would someday be my job to pas on the things I learned.

My recommendation of the GSS was based on the experience level you first indicated. Since you suddenly claim to be far more advanced than that, it should be pointed out that my reason for doing this build thread is helping the guys who aren't that advanced.

We're not here to insult each other. Go to any other thread if that's what you want to do. Good natured joshing and back-and-forth bickering over techniques is typically as severe as we get in here. I appreciate you guys' consistent efforts to ensure that it doesn't go beyond that.

If you're looking for something in between this and scratch-building, I've heard that the more recent Pilot Pitts kits are nice. I built one of the older ones, and the Pitts was pretty impressive.

The GSS is a wonderful RC model, despite the fact that it's a Great Planes model. The plain fact is, they don't make planes much prettier, more responsive, or better flying. I can see how distressing it would be for you to end up with the looks and flying characteristics that most other guys find to be so desirable.

This probably isn't the thread you're looking for.

~ Jim ~

Last edited by PacificNWSkyPilot; 03-09-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:40 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Back to business. Guess what just arrived yesterday? My new Rings for the Valley View 40cc engine. These famous Frank Bowman piston rings were highly recommended, even though I haven't run the engine at all yet. Super-high quality rings like these add life to these engines, from all I'm told. They're supposed to give better compression and create less friction, so the wear on the engine is much reduced, while at the same time it increases the RPMs by a few hundred.

That's kind of cool. I'll try to take some photos as I change out the rings. I don't know if this engine has one or two rings per piston, but Frank told me that all I need to do is change out the top ring on each piston to do the job. Pretty straightforward stuff, for an old wrench like me. I started out in the 60's and 70's, rebuilding my own motorcycle and car engines, and of course, that included installing new sets of piston rings. The only difference here is that I'm doing so on a brand-new engine. I shouldn't find any surprises at all. But we'll see!

I'm going Hog-hunting tomorrow, so I probably won't get to this job until Tuesday.

~ Jim ~
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 PM
CafeenMan

TexasSkyPilot. I'm not here to insult anyone. My experience at RCU has been that I ask a question and then I get really remedial replies that don't answer the question which is why I state my question clearly and usually add something about the parts of the thread that I understood and don't need repeated.

For example, someone will be talking about an engine, I'll ask aks about a specific aspect of the engine and the person comes back explaining 2-stroke engines 101 and fuel tank setup.

So when I asked if the people who bought the pitts would still buy it and getting a super sportster recommended that's really annoying. Why would you even talk about a completely different airplane when someone asks a very specific question about a specific airplane? It's not even the same type of plane.

I asked a simple question and it's the only question I wanted an answer to. Reading through the thread it seems like this Pitts has some problems and I wanted to know if the folks who are building it thought it was worth it.

Anyway, I got my answer. Carry on.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:36 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Why would somebody do that? Because they have a lot of experience. Because they're already two steps ahead of you. Because they're trying to help you get to the REAL answer.

You want your answers just the way you want your answers, Crash, and it's clear that you already know so much that nobody's gonna tell you anything, so it's okay to be rude to folks.

Let me save time and answer all of your questions at once.

This isn't the thread you're looking for.

~ Jim ~
Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 PM
CafeenMan

So if you ask a question about a set of retracts and somebody recommends that you build a sailboat that would be an acceptable answer to you? You mentioned how time consuming it is helping folks and taking photos. Take a look at my website sometime.

Again, I apologize if I came off as rude. It was not my intention.

Peace.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:51 PM
CafeenMan

"If you're looking for something in between this and scratch-building, I've heard that the more recent Pilot Pitts kits are nice."

Right now I'm looking for really fast to the air just so I can get flying again. I thought Pilot went out of business a long time ago. They still around or are you talking about ebay or rcu classifieds?

Edit: Just used the googles and found this: http://www.pilot-rc.com/

Is that the same company as pilot kits from the 70's and 80's?

Last edited by CafeenMan; 03-09-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:45 AM
WI53072

CaffeenMan,

I have a Pilot 28% Super Decathlon I am working on. So far so good. I think the quality is top notch so far as I can tell. Not sure if this is the same Company from the 70's or 80's? And I looked at their website and did not see a Pitts?

I know PAU http://flypau.com/ Makes several Pitts ARF's such as the Challenger and Bulldog for Around $600 or so and there is an excellent review of it as well over at Flying Giants just cant seem to find the thread or I would of included a link to it for you. Also, I did run across one or two RC Guys Pitts threads over at Flying Giants, but don't know if they will help you or not.

Paul
Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 AM
CafeenMan

Paul - Thanks for that link. Everything I've read about the RC Guys basically tells me I have to strip the covering sooner or later. It would be nice if they'd do one of two things - either use good covering to begin with or offer the model ready to cover. I'd rather pay more for a model that is right. The PAU Pitts look really good although I haven't researched any build threads on them yet. Wish they had an S1 though - it's really the *only* Pitts in my book.

Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 AM
CafeenMan

Originally Posted by acerc View Post
All it would take for that to happen is 10K!!!
In all honesty, if I had built that plane to the standard you did I wouldn't even consider selling it for $10K. Unless you find a very wealthy person, a labor of love like that will never get the price that it's worth so you keep it for yourself. You've done a really beautiful job on it. I keep looking at the Falke motor gliders they have but there is no way I can get it in my car. The fuselage is 100" long and I can get 8' from dash to hatch with the seats folded down. To have that plane I either need a different vehicle or a trailer hitch welded to mine and of course the trailer itself. But man... what a nice plane that would be.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

So what are the differences between the Bulldog and the Challenger? No, I do NOT mean the models but the real aircraft.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM
acerc

Bulldog is what Jim Leroy named his Challenger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDiPEgysYI

May he rest in peace.

Last edited by acerc; 03-10-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:02 PM
toolmaker7341

Yes I would buy again. 50-60cc twin is the best
Old 03-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by acerc View Post
Bulldog is what Jim Leroy named his Challenger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDiPEgysYI

May he rest in peace.
Why do I get the idea you knew him?

Oh, by the way thanks. I have a Challenger I need to remove the 3W 74 from and get it fixed to run properly is sort of why I was asking. It is (poorly) finished out 1-800-Collect.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 PM
acerc

If you have not seen his other scheme here it is.
I like this version best!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1096757M.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1976941   Click image for larger version

Name:	1976516019_1cfc649142_z.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1976942  
Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 PM
WI53072

Guys,

I placed an order earlier this week for a set of Charlie Hilliard vinyl transfers for my Pitts. Working on another project first. I will eventually get around to getting them on the plane. I will snap a few pics of it when done.

Paul
Old 03-21-2014, 04:37 PM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by WI53072 View Post
Guys,

I placed an order earlier this week for a set of Charlie Hilliard vinyl transfers for my Pitts. Working on another project first. I will eventually get around to getting them on the plane. I will snap a few pics of it when done.

Paul
Where did you order the Charlie Hilliard vinyl

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.