Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Small Revolver, which engine?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Small Revolver, which engine?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 PM
TPL33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Revolver, which engine?

I have a small revolver coming my way, also ordered an OS 72 Four Stroke. Since the engine is back ordered and I have time to contemplate engines, would an .81 or .82 be a better choice? The specs say up to a .70 four stroke. I'd like it to be fast, but, not over powered or ridiculously fast. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by TPL33 View Post
I have a small revolver coming my way, also ordered an OS 72 Four Stroke. Since the engine is back ordered and I have time to contemplate engines, would an .81 or .82 be a better choice? The specs say up to a .70 four stroke. I'd like it to be fast, but, not over powered or ridiculously fast. Thanks.
Thus far I have assembled and flown 3 Revolvers. First one a Revolver 70 powered by a Saito .91. Second one another Revolver 70 powered by a DLE-20, but Mother Earth ate that one. But I already have another Revolver 70 new in the box, waiting for me to mount the DLE-20 again. Finally, I have the smaller Revolver 59 and it is powered by an OS .55 AX.

This smaller Revolver is a great flying model and I flew it most of all last summer. Performance is great and fellow club members that have observed it flying do not believe that it is powered by the OS .55 AX, but it is. They state that the performance and speed goes way beyond what a .55 powered aircraft should look like.

Revolvers with four strokes are great combo's and I do have many four strokes. As a matter of fact, I am presently putting together a Hanger 9 Christen Eagle II and I will be powering it with a new Saito 1.25 . But I know come next summer, one of my favorite planes to fly will be the OS powered Revolver 59.

If you are of the mind set on a four stroke engine for your Revolver, I would not hesitate one second to go slightly beyond the recommended engine size for that aircraft. I doubt that it will be over powered and besides they put that throttle control stick on your radio for a reason. You can fly it at any power setting or speed that you may want or need.

What ever you choice may be, have fun with it and enjoy it, as I know that you will.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:22 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

I would make every attempt to keep it as light as possible, while maintaining power at a level I can live with. Myself, I would stay 2 stroke, probably another 55AX plane.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I would make every attempt to keep it as light as possible, while maintaining power at a level I can live with. Myself, I would stay 2 stroke, probably another 55AX plane.
WOW !! Ditto !! Somebody that agrees with me.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:32 AM
rlytle

I have the small revolver with an OS55AX. The plane is very fast. It wants to land hot. That being said I would keep the setup as light as possible. If you are dead set on the four stroke, check on the weight of a saito. In most cases the newer saito is lighter than other four strokes. Good luck with a fun plane to rip around with.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Chris Nicastro

I flew one for two seasons and sold it in perfect shape. It had an OS 55 with a Macs pipe on it. I just flew the heck out of it and finally got bored so I sold it while it was in great shape. That being said I would suggest the same engine or the newer OS 95 four stroke engine which is awesome. I have it installed in another plane, Fokker D7, but it hauls this heavy bipe around with no problems. Its a very light compact engine with excellent performance.
You need to give this plane a little extra power to keep it fun and edgy. I would say the 55 was just OK and good average match for this airplane. If I did it again Id use the 95 or a two stroke 60 high performance engine.

Another point would be a small mod to the wing to build inboard flaps to help with landings. I was close to doing this before I sold mine. Now I want the Revolver 70 someday but Id do the same on that one!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:11 AM
Granpooba

Maybe improved pilot skills would help with landing your Revolvers.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:56 AM
Dauntae

I'm just getting back into flying after taking a few years off to do other things but also have a revolver 50 and love the plane, Real slippery airframe so the speed does get up there, With my OS 55AX a lot has to do with the prop, I used a 12x6 to get used to it and it still moved along pretty well but not crazy fast. It DOES like to come in hot for landings so I may look into adding flaps myself just for the fun of it and see how well this plane will land with them, But it's a great plane and a lot of fun.

Dauntae
Old 01-02-2014, 03:23 PM
TPL33

Well, I was thinking about a four stroke but seeing I can't get the four stroke I currently have tuned correctly, I may go with a two stroke. I've never had a four stroke before, all two's and have never had an issue getting them running correctly. The field I fly at has a paved runway and it isn't terribly long. A hot/fast landing plane has to run off the end of the runway and into dirt. I don't particularly like or want to do that. What do you think a good engine would be so this revolver isn't blistering fast? I would like the plane to be semi fast, but, I'm not looking to break any speed records. .55AX but exercise throttle control? Smaller, .46AX or LA? One of the OS .65LA's?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by TPL33 View Post
Well, I was thinking about a four stroke but seeing I can't get the four stroke I currently have tuned correctly, I may go with a two stroke. I've never had a four stroke before, all two's and have never had an issue getting them running correctly. The field I fly at has a paved runway and it isn't terribly long. A hot/fast landing plane has to run off the end of the runway and into dirt. I don't particularly like or want to do that. What do you think a good engine would be so this revolver isn't blistering fast? I would like the plane to be semi fast, but, I'm not looking to break any speed records. .55AX but exercise throttle control? Smaller, .46AX or LA? One of the OS .65LA's?
I found that none of my Revolvers have been blistering fast or even semi fast on landings.

You talk about throttle control and I feel that you have found the correct solution. I start slowing my Revolvers on the downwind leg, slowing even more on base leg and holding a good slow/controllable landing speed on final to touchdown.

This technique comes from both real life and flying RC models. Note that I am a retired Airline Transport Pilot, thus I try to incorporate the real world into flying my RC models, as the only difference is that one pilot sitting in the plane and the other is standing on the ground.

I feel that RC pilots need to practice more throttle control. That stick on the left is not to just make the aircraft go fast !

I am flying my small Revolver is the .55AX and very pleased with the combo. Nooooooooooooooo speed problems. NOT ONE !
Old 01-03-2014, 05:11 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

It's possible for a plane to want to come in pretty hot even with a properly idled engine - due to forward CG. Great Planes kits are notorious for this when set on the recommended CG (which are intended for "test/maiden" flights?). Somebody having trouble here would do well to try moving the CG back a little (1/4" at a time?) to see if that helps the issue? Until you get really crazy with this mod, moving the CG back a little will actually lower your stall speed! DON'T let some "expert" convince you any attempt at moving the CG back will end in an uncontrollable pile of balsa. That's simply not true....

Many "snap happy" planes can be civilized pretty easily using this method, along with keeping elevator travel within limits while at landing speeds? FWIW, -Al
Old 01-20-2014, 06:32 PM
shooboy
My Feedback: (52)

I fly my little Revolver with an Evolution 61 with stock muffler. It hauls pretty well and lands fairly easily as long as I cut throttle on the downwind leg of landing. I come around pretty much at idle as I turn on final and she glides right in with a small flair at the end. I did try to land it too softly once and she dipped a wing that touched the ground and I tweaked the landing gear, but that was my fault.Just don't try and land it like a trainer and you'll be fine. Fun plane, weak gear since they are fiberglass, and you'll probably fix the fuse where the gear mounts once or twice unless you strengthen it when new. Still tons of fun !!!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:57 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by shooboy View Post
I fly my little Revolver with an Evolution 61 with stock muffler. It hauls pretty well and lands fairly easily as long as I cut throttle on the downwind leg of landing. I come around pretty much at idle as I turn on final and she glides right in with a small flair at the end. I did try to land it too softly once and she dipped a wing that touched the ground and I tweaked the landing gear, but that was my fault.Just don't try and land it like a trainer and you'll be fine. Fun plane, weak gear since they are fiberglass, and you'll probably fix the fuse where the gear mounts once or twice unless you strengthen it when new. Still tons of fun !!!
Have to agree with weak gear mounting on the Revolvers, especially the Revolver 70. On one of my 70's the gear itself was delaminating and then another time, the whole mount broke and just folded back on a perfectly good smooth landing. It was easily repairable, is still flying as one of my favorites. When I built my smaller Revolver, I just beefed up the mounting area and to date, not problem one.