Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

No more Hanger 9 products for this hobbyist !

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

No more Hanger 9 products for this hobbyist !

Old 02-21-2014, 07:35 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Propworn...the slowed down speed of the playback of this video gave the engine a great sound. I wish I could get my planes to sound like that.

Greg
Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM
lflf
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Hangar 9 and others with varying success over the years, but now I only use Tower because of their huge inventory of stuff, some top quality lines, and they still supply balsa and other things scratch builders need. They also have great customer service. I also scratch build my planes in general. That way, if there is a problem, I can only blame the manufacturer.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by erik valdez
Granpooba, good luck to you in this hobby, by your accounts these companies will be out of business in a short time their products are junk. No worries to you then. It must be by accident that they are staying in business.
Do not need any luck to stay in this hobby ! There will always be a KIT manufacturer out there and I do enjoy building.

I have complaints with (2) companies. I doubt very much that will keep my out of the hobby. As I stated previously, I have no complaints with GREAT PLANES ARF's. Still have their ARF's sitting in my hangar, Little Toni is a perfect example and as I stated, I also have four Revolvers by Great Planes. Perhaps Great Planes could serve as an example on how to do it right, for some of these other manufacturers !

I have gotten stung by two companies and yes I complained about their models. Would you not do the same if you got stung ? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'd like to be around and see your reaction, when it happens. LOL

Could go on and name numerous other models that I have, but I do not want to bore anybody and there just is not enough room on these sites !

Last edited by Granpooba; 02-21-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:23 PM
BelAirBob

If I remember, I had an Airtronics sailplane. As mentioned above, the parts were machined and not die crunched and the kit went together soooo nice. Is my Olympic II an Airtronics? I can;t remember, but it is sitting behind me.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Yeah Bob. Oly II and the Aquila, both fantastic fliers and great builds. Airtronics also made the Acrostar bipe, the Jetfire, and some others I can't remember. Wonderful models all.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:55 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by BelAirBob
If I remember, I had an Airtronics sailplane. As mentioned above, the parts were machined and not die crunched and the kit went together soooo nice. Is my Olympic II an Airtronics? I can;t remember, but it is sitting behind me.
I had the same one! I converted it to electric:-) I think it was indeed Airtronics. Nice wood! It had a can motor, servo activated on-off toggle switch, and it was powered by 6 anemic NiCads:-) For many in my club, that was the first functional electric they saw. It would climb only once per charge (and slowly). But I did not need to install the high start. I would love to be able to get a kit of the Oly 200 again:-)

Gerry
Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by erik valdez
Granpooba, good luck to you in this hobby, by your accounts these companies will be out of business in a short time their products are junk. No worries to you then. It must be by accident that they are staying in business.
Oh, the ARF business will be around for a while. Some may migrate from one ARF supplier to another, when they encounter problems, but that won't change things. Overall I see it as correct the obvious. When it starts getting dog-eared from hard landings or shows signs of stress, then that's a good time to correct.

Besides, how many crashes are due to pilot error, or not QA'ing an aircraft after a rough landing, or standard preventative maintenance, that caused control linkages to fail, wiring separation, uncorrected engine or electric motor problems, hidden or ignored structural damage not repaired and etc.?

There are always ways to improve things, and if one isn't happy with ARF's certainly can build their own to their satisfaction. There is much freedom and latitude in the hobby, that one can find a place where they can be content and comfortable.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:49 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still recall the old pattern ships. They were heavy enough to be almost considered missiles in the air. (About 1/2-1/3 d more than a "modern" ARF pattern ship.)

Last edited by chuckk2; 02-22-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:19 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

No more Aeroworks arfs for me....at least I can thank them for being the ones to bring me around to my first love of building from plans or kits. Happy camper now!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:10 AM
Neverlost1

Originally Posted by Granpooba
and I have at least 60 years of building experience under by belt. Tough enough like I said that if I am going to spend this much time and money, that I am going back to building from a kit.
Aha!! There is the root of the problem (you're really old) Your building experience is why you see all these issues. Other than the more serious problems (unthreaded blind nuts), most ARF "builders" would probably not see any problems, because they never built from a kit, never covered an airplane, never glued ribs,stringers, formers, bulkheads, etc., and the poor hardware works just fine for them.

I will admit, most of the planes I fly today are ARFs, and they all seem to have some minor "flaws" when assembling, but, for the price, I am satisfied with them.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:26 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I still have to laugh when people post that they bought a kit from the manufacture being complained about, and that their kit was perfect.
As if their validation of a kit negates the OP's complaint because their kit was good.
As I see it, they are off topic, because the OP was pointing out valid reasons why the manufacture failed to supply them a good kit. The fact that they bought the same or a completely different kit from the same manufacture and had no trouble with it makes absolutely no difference and has nothing to do with the topic.
If you want to be a fan boy and compliment a manufacture, just start your own thread.

Off the soap box.

Greg
Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Neverlost1
Aha!! There is the root of the problem (you're really old) Your building experience is why you see all these issues. Other than the more serious problems (unthreaded blind nuts), most ARF "builders" would probably not see any problems, because they never built from a kit, never covered an airplane, never glued ribs,stringers, formers, bulkheads, etc., and the poor hardware works just fine for them.

I will admit, most of the planes I fly today are ARFs, and they all seem to have some minor "flaws" when assembling, but, for the price, I am satisfied with them.
AHA !! Really old ? Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa and feeling older with every passing day. I do see your point, that unless you have built many, many kits, that you will not see the flaws in the ARF's. I do have some good, great flying ARF's. But I have to admit that I am greatly looking forward to building my new kit. Perhaps I am just trying to regain some of my youth. LOL
Old 02-23-2014, 08:12 AM
jdan

I think we spoil these guys by constantly repairing and replacing their junk. If enough stuff is returned maybe they do something about it .
Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by jdan
I think we spoil these guys by constantly repairing and replacing their junk. If enough stuff is returned maybe they do something about it .
Can not agree with you more. I purchased my Christen Eagle for about $325.00 and that price was marked down from about $400.00 ! I have a Saito 125 mounted on it that sold for about $350.00 . I can only be hoping that I did not waste my money by putting a good engine on a piece of junk airplane. But then again, I am hoping that with all the corrections and mods I made to the Eagle, it turns out to be at least a half way decent flying model.

Personally, I think they should have discounted the Eagle about another $300.00 !
Old 02-25-2014, 02:26 PM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

Awesom sound! What engine/muffler combo do you have in the Pitts?

Bill
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Propworn

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OldRookie
Propworn...the slowed down speed of the playback of this video gave the engine a great sound. I wish I could get my planes to sound like that.

Greg
I know I wish I could duplicate that sound in real time. We have no idea how or why the video went to slow motion it was not recorded or posted with that intent. We have had luck deepening the sound with larger volume mufflers where we can fit them in the airframe, along with installing baffles however one has to be very careful not to restrict the exhaust flow. The best we have ever done is about half of the effect of the slow motion video. It would be awesome to be able to recreate that sound but I have not been able to achieve that with what I have tried so far.

Bill I hope this clears up the sound question for you. Its due to the slowing of the video not the muffler/engine combo. I wish it were.

Dennis
Old 02-26-2014, 07:30 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by WacoOne
Awesom sound! What engine/muffler combo do you have in the Pitts?

Bill
RC Specialties Turbo Header muffler ! Also went with their 90 degree connection. It was the only way I could keep everything under the cowling. Otherwise with the stock Saito muffler which is to large, I would have had to cut the cowling to mount it.

Also installed a Isolated Glow Plug Igniter. With this I did not even have to cut a hole for the glow igniter. Only hole in the cowling is for the needle valve and naturally the bottom of the cowling was cut for cooling air flow.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Propworn

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

By the way I had a Brison 2.4 with a custom home made exhaust system on the Pitts with smoke.

Dennis
Old 03-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Fs one

Nice plane Propworm and I like the very realistic sound.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Fs one

I am not a fan of Hangar 9 Arfs.I feel they build them too light I had the Edge 54o 80" wing.The landing gear is not strong enough I had to beef it up.I have seen other Hangar 9 Arfs not impressed with them.I like to build my own kits as well but I do have several Arfs and I believe there is a place for them.I have 3 Seagull kits I find the ones I have well built and less cost than many other Arfs.I alway's beef up the firewall with some angle stock but honestly on the Seagull kits I find covering painted parts and quality is very good.Pilot Arfs are good quality and you can't beat the free wood if you have a mishap.I believe if you haven't built from kit you are a hobbyist.I consider myself a Modeler because I build kits and repair them I also believe if you own Arfs and don't know how to repair you are going to throw away some good models.Building brings many learning curves you learn a lot about covering ,electronics and much more.Enjoy your Arfs but I encourage you to build your own as well.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:09 PM
jbfly

I like to build, but any more I ARF. Have an ECONOMOD BENDIX w/ OS .70FS. It is the greatest!!! Just finished a PICA .60 WACO kit & hope to fly next week. I have 2 Hanger 9 war birds, P-47 & Spitfire. The Thunderbolt is7 years old
while I am on my 3rd fuse/ 2nd wing on the Spit, also a Pacific Aeromodel Tiger moth. If you do not like ARFs then, glue cover & paint if you want to stink up the house. Me I will be on my next ARF at the field.

jbfly
Old 03-13-2014, 04:51 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by jbfly
I like to build, but any more I ARF. Have an ECONOMOD BENDIX w/ OS .70FS. It is the greatest!!! Just finished a PICA .60 WACO kit & hope to fly next week. I have 2 Hanger 9 war birds, P-47 & Spitfire. The Thunderbolt is7 years old
while I am on my 3rd fuse/ 2nd wing on the Spit, also a Pacific Aeromodel Tiger moth. If you do not like ARFs then, glue cover & paint if you want to stink up the house. Me I will be on my next ARF at the field.

jbfly
Have plenty of ARF's to fly in between building kits. If I do happen to stink up the house, then so be it as it is MY house and I will do as I please . Hahahaaaaaaaaa
Old 03-13-2014, 03:24 PM
jbfly

Keep up the good work...if more people built, possibly some mfg would step up.

jbfly