Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

I had the worst experience of my life dealing with GRAVES RC.

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

I had the worst experience of my life dealing with GRAVES RC.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 AM
Ed6500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had the worst experience of my life dealing with GRAVES RC.

I ordered a hanger 9 SBach from Graves RC on Sunday.They had 10% off which is crap.
The transaction was completed thru PayPal which both party's agree to terms and services,Then on Monday they contact me and want another 32 dollars for some con oversize shipping fee that we both agreed on free shipping.Now they told me to pay it or they would cancel the order and I already paid them.
I just wanted people to know that they are scam artist.Buyer beware!!!!!.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 AM
daytonarc
My Feedback: (5)

I have always been impressed with Graves and never had a problem.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Many online vendors offer "free standard shipping" but not oversized so one has to be aware when shopping online. It really isn't a scam, just shipping company surcharges.

That said the order taker should have made it clear at the time of the order. Although the error may have been theirs it is unlikely they will eat the oversize charge as that is what the shipping company charges them. If you want the item offer to pay half. If not cancel the order, without restocking fees, and accept a full refund.

Often your LHS can put the oversize items on their regular orders via Great Planes, Horizon, etc. and not be surcharged. Check with them first. I do this locally and often have saved money over online vendor prices. Unfortunately the "oversize shipping" charge may be a deal breaker.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Ed6500

I have purchased from them before also and never had a problem also till some new girl Lisamaire got involved with my order.
Now I'm unhappy.

Last edited by daveopam; 06-16-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not amused by your situation, just having a chuckle at your description.

Suggest you telephone again and ask for a manager or supervisor then explain you issue. If they still insist on the $32.00, cancel the order and insist on a FULL refund. No restocking or other fees.

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

As mentioned above most companies these days, in fact I cannot think of one who does not, charge more for oversize shipments and that is usually noted somewhere in the online buying process. Where items are shown as "free shipping" there is a note somewhere and you must pay the oversize charge.

I've never had an issue with Graves either, in fact they are one of the better vendors out there. Now you can do as Dick T suggested and get your model from the LHS which does help the locals but you'll pay sales tax in most states and if there are any issues to deal with, it'll have to go back to the LHS first.

I'd reconsider your attitude and play nicely if you still want the model, otherwise I'm sure they'll issue a refund.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Granpooba

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed6500 View Post
I ordered a hanger 9 SBach from Graves RC on Sunday.They had 10% off which is crap.
The transaction was completed thru PayPal which both party's agree to terms and services,Then on Monday they contact me and want another 32 dollars for some con oversize shipping fee that we both agreed on free shipping.Now they told me to pay it or they would cancel the order and I already paid them.
Don't know if this is possible, but I would notify PayPal or your Credit Card company about the change in shipping after the order has already been placed and accepted. Then state that you will not be paying the bill .

Also, if they state that they would cancel the order, then you are not liable and your payment will be reimbursed.

You can always find another model with another supplier.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:20 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a Slipstream RV-8 ARF (30cc size) and the box was huge - and they shipped it FREE! I'm happy, but sad to say they forgot to tell me there was an expiration date on the airframe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Crash 3.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	2003610  
Old 06-10-2014, 03:59 PM
daytonarc

Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Don't know if this is possible, but I would notify PayPal or your Credit Card company about the change in shipping after the order has already been placed and accepted. Then state that you will not be paying the bill .

Also, if they state that they would cancel the order, then you are not liable and your payment will be reimbursed.

You can always find another model with another supplier.
Pooba, OP could just talk to them. Graves is a great local shop with an internet site that serves the world. If there was a
miscommunication or misunderstanding I am sure a call to Graves would work. Probably best not to use the term "man beast" while discussing a reasonable solution. All he has to do is ask for Mr. Graves, Bill is the founder and there is a Son as well. If shipping can't be worked out there is absolutely no doubt they will issue a full refund. Graves has a brand new website and any oversized shipping issue is probably just a "glitch " in the new system.

Originally Posted by tailskid View Post
I bought a Slipstream RV-8 ARF (30cc size) and the box was huge - and they shipped it FREE! I'm happy, but sad to say they forgot to tell me there was an expiration date on the airframe
Expiration dates are always located inside the glue joint between the F 1 former and the side of the engine box.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:29 PM
CafeenMan

I paid $115 to have my Aeroworks Checkmate shipped. But that cost was disclosed upfront.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are a lucky man if this is indeed "The Worst Experience of Your Life". Really?

I doubt that Graves is a scam. It's a tough business with slim profit margins. Probably a simple mistake or oversight. $32 is really very inexpensive to ship a large package.

Perhaps you should fly something more affordable if $32 is causing this much anxiety in your life.

Last edited by 049flyer; 06-10-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:52 PM
ron a norman
My Feedback: (14)

Don't be a bed wetter call them and work it out they are good people, I have had great service from them.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:54 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Talking

Graves is my LHS, no problems at all, so far
Old 06-10-2014, 06:37 PM
acerc

Graves is probably one of the best, if not the best, hobby stores there is. They also list on each and every plane whether there is additional shipping, buyer oversight maybe? As for the slamming them over your idea of a scam is total BS. There was a mistake, maybe, an oversight-probably, but at least they called to let you know instead of just waiting until you went calling wanting to know where your stuff was. Like others have said, if you can't afford the lousy $32 extra bucks for a seriously large package, maybe you should find a cheaper hobby.
And maybe we would have more compassion if you were less dramatic and had more than 6 post one of which is a dumb azz rant, and unwarranted at that.

And here I thought $400 to ship a kit from Germany was steep!!!!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

You had "the worst experience" of your life?

I wish "another 32 dollars" was my worst experience in my life.

Kurt

Last edited by daveopam; 06-12-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: personal bashing
Old 06-10-2014, 07:59 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem with them five years ago. Cancelled the order and went to Tower Hobbies.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:23 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most companies that offer free shipping state " Free standard shipping". 32 bucks? That'a cheap. It isn't worth the hassle of arguing.

I just paid $600 to ship a model from France to Australia.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:37 AM
wl7cpa

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm... went to Graves web site. The following is posted in bright red letters at the top of the model in question:

THIS IS AN OVERSIZED ITEM THAT DOES NOT QUALIFY FOR FREE SHIPPING

go figure....

Last edited by wl7cpa; 06-11-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:26 AM
learn2turn

The thing about eCommerce it is is incredibly hard to code an eCommerce web site that exactly matches your business model. Any tiny special rule or exception can end up being hugely expensive to implement correctly.

I see in post above that the oversize charge was clearly indicated. The lack of a good customer experience was likely the result of the eCommerce site logic not calculating the proper shipping site for the item.

It's sort of the toss up on the fault. The site should not have let the user check out with the wrong price but the user was also notifying that the item didn't qualify for free shipping.

I'd say it's a bit of a mistake on both sides and call it a draw.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:43 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have purchased from them before also and never had a problem also till some new girl Lisamaire got involved with my order.
Now I'm pissed off.There is always one bad Apple out of the bunch.
Maybe just me, but after somebody posts a comment like this, if I were a Grave's employee capable of canceling this deal, I would do that and be rid of what is likely a very undesirable customer. Perfect example of why I'm not in retail....

Last edited by daveopam; 06-16-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:49 AM
grosbeak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I'm pissed off.There is always one bad Apple out of the bunch.

I would not be the least bit surprised if one or more Graves RC employees is a member of this forum. Do you think your insult is going to help or hinder your cause?

PS - I know I'm not supposed to feed the trolls but they're just SO DANG CUTE!

Last edited by daveopam; 06-16-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:13 AM
Homer712
My Feedback: (17)

I have dealt with Graves for over ten years, and never an issue. Just the opposite. Over the winter I was looking to change over all my planes (OK, I only have seven, but to me, that's a bunch) to my Futaba 7C transmitter. Still had four on my older Airtronics, non 2.4GHz transmitter. Noticed that Graves had the R617FS receivers still listed at the "prior to Christmas" $39.95 price, and many in stock. Everyone else had already raised the price back to $69.95. Not wanting to take advantage of a possible web site error (I needed four receivers) I called to confirm the cost prior to placing the order. The young lady at the other end told me that the units in stock were purchased at Futaba's promotional price, and until they needed to reorder, the units in their stock would be sold at the promotional $39.95. I bought four units that day. If that isn't a first class organization, I don't know what is.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:44 AM
hobbinr
My Feedback: (9)

I have dealt with Graves RC for over twenty years. Never ever a problem, in fact just the opposite. They always go out of their way to help. Lisamarie is not new. She's an excellent employee and a very nice person. Coarse remarks like those you made are no help at all.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 AM
Muttdog

FYI, if you are ever looking for a H9 or Horizon plane always make sure to check their eBay store. They offer most with free shipping (and it really is free) and no tax if your not in IL. The Sbach is not available from them so it would not help here but always check their eBay store first.

Edit: The official Horizon Hobbies Ebay store
Old 06-11-2014, 07:06 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by daytonarc View Post
Pooba, OP could just talk to them. Graves is a great local shop with an internet site that serves the world. If there was a
miscommunication or misunderstanding I am sure a call to Graves would work. Probably best not to use the term "man beast" while discussing a reasonable solution. All he has to do is ask for Mr. Graves, Bill is the founder and there is a Son as well. If shipping can't be worked out there is absolutely no doubt they will issue a full refund. Graves has a brand new website and any oversized shipping issue is probably just a "glitch " in the new system.

Expiration dates are always located inside the glue joint between the F 1 former and the side of the engine box.
I agree with you, purchase problems can usually be worked out either through email or verbal communications. My statement was in regards to what would be the proper " legal " procedure.

I recently had a issue with a purchase, need not say what it was. But the company offered to reimburse me for a part that I bought online to make the item correct. All I had to do was send them the receipt. Regretfully so, I had already trashed the receipt. But, they did apologize for my problem and sent me logo shirts of their company to help make things right. To me that was great customer service, thus they earned my respect and I would purchase their products again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.