Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

TBM Sbach 342 20 cc Thread

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

TBM Sbach 342 20 cc Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 PM
4.6ssguy
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my dle 30 mounted up and had to cut up the cowl more may have to get the rear exhaust otherwise will have to really open up the cowl. I did get rid of all added weight and am 2oz. lighter will check c.g. all i have to do is change pipes and i will be ready to fire it up once I'm back from work travels..
Old 04-22-2015, 05:53 AM
rekit500

Don't know the FG weight, pretty light-6oz? The package it was in is long gone. Hope to see where it's going to balance soon. Yea the green FG carport lighting, great for portraits-LOL

Last edited by rekit500; 04-23-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:23 PM
rekit500

damn even with the 35RA I'm tail heavy at 4-7/8". That's with 2 4.8 and 1 5.0 batteries in front of the gas tank and ig in motor box. Disappointed. And after FG and epoxy.....

Last edited by rekit500; 04-23-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:19 PM
Bcolici

Whats the weight of your ele servos?
Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 AM
rekit500

2.2 oz. hitec 5645 mg
Old 04-27-2015, 05:22 PM
Bcolici

Mine are 59 grams. These look nice at only 38 grams each( http://www.mksservosusa.com/product....&cat=25&page=1 ) to lighten the tail but then they have to be fitted in the servo bay and are mini sized. Not sure if they would work. Specs look good,
92 bucks a pop though.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Bcolici

Looking at the mks site they have a nice selection of servos but I've never used them.
Anyone have any experience with them?
Old 04-27-2015, 05:37 PM
Bcolici

I'd like to get one of these for the rudder servo but one comes with a 5 inch arm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Single_Rud_Tray(1).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	2092701   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARF_Rudder_Tray_1-228x228.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	2092702  

Last edited by Bcolici; 04-27-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:25 AM
rekit500

With the 35 on there, I'll have the power to haul around a little lead on the front. It won't be a friggin pound like before. I am looking at maybe moving the elev servos forward, maybe on the outside?? 4.4 oz won't need to be moved much........
Old 05-09-2015, 08:02 AM
JoeMamma

Hi Guys,

Well, the inevitable finally happened........I had my first mid-air yesterday after about 40+ years of on-and-off flying.

It all happened so quickly I really couldn’t tell who's fault it was. After seeing his wing ripped off and floating downward, my buddy’s plane wound up in the woods.

I was more fortunate. My left elevator half was missing and the left horizontal stab was destroyed. The rudder was severely damaged. I also discovered multiple cracks throughout the length of the fuselage.

Right after the collision I noticed my engine was still running and the plane was sluggish but flyable (barely). I was able to land her and taxi back to the pits.

The wing and wingtube are totally unscathed. Also unscathed were the canopy, cowl, wheel pants, wheels and main landing gear. I plan on stripping the engine and electrical gear for another RC project.

Anyway, I don’t plan on doing a repair job, so if anyone want’s to travel to my place they can have, for free, all of these extra parts for spares. I really don’t want to box, crate and ship the parts so send me a PM if interested. I’ll hold on to the parts for a while until I pitch them.

Good Luck to all the rest of you Sbach guys.

Joe M.

Name:	A.  Pete Milarnick midair 5.8.15.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	2094864  
Old 05-10-2015, 06:43 AM
rekit500

Damn, all that work. Sorry for your loss. How many flights did you have, how was it flying for you? There are a lot of (proven) 20cc planes out there now, so you won't have to go thru this again. I saw a vid of a guy with a 35RA on a Top Flight 60 size Mustang!! Flew perfectly normal. So I guess the 20 on a 60 plane should work well? I'll PM you on those wings.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Bcolici

Wow that really blows big time.
Sorry joe.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:33 AM
JoeMamma

Originally Posted by rekit500
Damn, all that work. Sorry for your loss. How many flights did you have, how was it flying for you? There are a lot of (proven) 20cc planes out there now, so you won't have to go thru this again. I saw a vid of a guy with a 35RA on a Top Flight 60 size Mustang!! Flew perfectly normal. So I guess the 20 on a 60 plane should work well? I'll PM you on those wings.
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the condolences.

For all of the unnecessary work that was involved in building this plane, it turned to be a truly fantastic flyer. I had only six flights on her until the mid-air.

The .60 size Top Flite P-51 ? Yeah.....a great flyer. I just happen to have one in my hanger. Mine is powered with an O.S. 1.20 4-stroke.

I have been searching the net looking for a comparable plane to re-use the engine, muffler and electronics from the Sbach. As I had mentioned before, I rarely do 3D maneuvers as most of my flying is pattern-style. So, it looks like the Great Planes Sequence 1.20 pattern plane may be the best choice for me ttp://www.towerhobbies.com/products/greatplanes/gpma1232.html. It’s about the same weight and size of the Sbach and besides, it kind of looks
like my 85” Great Planes Reactor which has been my go-to plane for about a year.

For you guys that have sent me PM’s about the free Sbach parts, I was still hoping for someone to offer to come over to my place to pick up the parts to save me any boxing, crating, postage and packaging. I’ll wait a while to see if my original free offer works, but I WONT be just tossing away the parts.

Joe M.

Name:	DSC02399.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	2095316   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02388.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	486.9 KB
ID:	2095317  
Old 05-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Bcolici

How are you guys making out with the 30cc engine?
Mines still on the bench.
Longest put together for me. Lol
Old 05-12-2015, 05:52 AM
rekit500

I'm getting very close with my 35RA version. But it's been raining here for like 2 months, so I keep taking my time. That engine looks like it belongs. The 20 on it always looked like that drawing of the man with the tiny head, whatever that was. I've got the servos in, gonna make up a tank today, try to fix the POS tailwheel so it has some spring to it. That blue part bangs against the rudder on my other one, can't be good for the hinges. It should pull the plane as it was meant to fly.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:43 PM
rekit500

Hey joe, what prop did you end up using? How was it?
Old 05-13-2015, 07:58 PM
4.6ssguy

I haven't flown Or ordered my rear exhaust for it yet been to busy with work travels hopefully soon though as I very anxious!
Old 05-14-2015, 07:23 PM
Bcolici

Browsing the web and found these for lighter ele servos.SAVSC1251MG LOW PROFILE DIGITAL SERVO .09/125 @
Futaba make one similar as well.

Last edited by Bcolici; 05-15-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:13 PM
Bcolici

Its been a while since any activity in here.
I ended up installing Futaba S9170sv servos in the tail. The original servos i had weighed 60 grams the Futabas 32 grams ea.,so i eliminated about 2 oz.in the tail.
These servos are smaller than i had thought. I made them fit by adding some strips of lite ply to close up the hole,not much. Although these servos are smaller they should be up to the task. The output spline itself is larger in diameter the the 60 gram servos i had in there.
I reused the aluminum servo arms i had on the larger servos and had to spread open the part where the screw tightens on the spline quite a bit.
They ended up working out.
Ended up using a simple series tailwheel from redwing rc as well.

I made a li ion/ li mn 2s battery pack to power the rx and servo with a balance node for a futaba style plug the goes to my on/off switch. Connect my charger and plug my lead right to the chargeport on the switch.
The cells are 3.7 v 3500mah only problem is the the other brand servos although rated for 8.4 volts,well i guess they really can't handle it. The Futabas had no issues at all. I ended dropping the voltage of the pack to 7.5 and they all seem happy.
Ignition is mounted on right side motor mount using 1/2 inch dubro foam and a hd velcro strap. Rx pack mounted under the motor box the same way and ign. battery on right side of motor box.
I also made up a throttle pushrod. I didn't like the goldenrod so what i did is i made a pushrod from a 3/16 wooden dowel. I tried drilling into the ends of the dowel but the wood kept on splitting when i screwed in the 256 all thread stud. Reading up on how cf pushrods have the same issue i ended up doing something similar. I applied med ca to about and inch at the ends of the dowel and slid shrink tubing over it,applied some heat and let it set up. I was then able to drill the ends and install the studs with jb weld(slow cure). Seems to be pretty strong and looks like a cf rod. Lol.
Setup this way has me at 4.5 inches for cg. I have some minor finishing touches before she ready.
Engines peaked out at 8800 rpms with the 17x6 xoar with 3 tanks thru it tuning on the ground.
My beef is that i belong to a club that flies electrics and have to wait till Oct.(should of been Sept.) to fly at one of our sites to fly the gasser. I may have to look into another club to join to fly her sooner.
I see TBM does not have this on their site any longer. Last i saw they had the 30cc left.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 07-14-2015, 02:52 AM
4.6ssguy

I'm doing good I finally got a rear exhaust and mounted the dle 30cc to the plane fired it up bout 2 weeks ago ran a tank in on ground but haven't maiden it yet engine looks good and flip starts by hand easily as well and only one flip of the prop once it's warmed up... I hope to fly Monday on my anniversary, wife will luv that lol.. I need to recheck the c.g. again with motor mounted I will post up some pics once I do.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:22 AM
rekit500

Good to hear from you guys. I checked the thread last nite for the first time in a while and was surprised at the lack of posts. I had to take a break from mine, just tired of jacking with it.......The rain finally stopped and lately its been catch up with the mowing at our field. Wife got me a Syma X5C-1, best quad for $60 ever. And a great heli trainer. Controls just like the 4 channel helis, but will settle out if you let go of the sticks. And at Banggood.com, you can buy a whole nother machine w/o the xmitter and camera for $25. I need to do the antenna mod to get a little more range. youtube link: https://youtu.be/NWPEuUXQXVk Anyway, I need to get back on my sbach soon. All I really have to do is loctite stuff as I put the engine on and and install a switch (tower was out of them for months), and a few little things. Let's fly these things!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Bcolici

4.6ssguy
My DLE 20ra seems like a little powerhouse and not broken in yet. For the first start i use
an electric starter then after shes warmed up starts with a couple of flips.
Gotta get an auw now that shes pretty much done.
I just need to threadlock some screws and wire up the ignition battery balace lead as i did the rx battery..
I dont mind having to use the starter for first startup. I have a flight box from my old glow fuel days that now has the gas can strapped to it and an electric pump for gas to refuel or drain the tank and a drawer for extra spark plugs and tools. The starter hooks up to the power panel and is stored in the compartment on top of the box. No biggie.
Hopefully with the weight saved and not having to add dead weight to balance the 20 will pull it around nicely.

Throttle linkage servo arm and carb arm is setup as per the thread posted in the rc gas engine forum,works great.
Response is linear with no added curves or expo as some do.

Question ,where and what method are you all using to balance at the 4.5 cg point?
At the wing root and what are you using to balance it?

This plane is heavier than what i usually fly. In the past i just used the finger method for lighter planes.
I tried it with this but the weight of the plane has me worrying that my fingers are going to go thru the wings.lol
Old 07-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Bcolici

Rekit
I had the Dromida Ominus. Fun quad but i ended up selling it
I still do have the proto micro that i zip around the house with. I toss it up in the air hit the throttle
it self levels and away it goes.

Its getting old though recharging battery packs for the power system,especially on the larger sized planes,and then storing them at proper voltage.
So gas it is for the larger birds now. Startingwith the Sbach.
My next plane is still in the box(going gas of course) but first i need to get the Sbach in the air.
Hopefully soon.

Btw, i dont know what anyones experience is with tuning a gasser but there is a great thread on the forums. On here and F.G.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:21 AM
rekit500

My balance jig is a 2' 2x6 with 1/2" holes drilled for 1/2" dowels. I found some U shaped material about 2" long, drilled a hole so it can rock on the end of the dowel. On the SBACH I set it upside down about 1" from the fuselage at 4 1/2' mark and start adding lead LOL. I'll post a pic in a minute. You can drill holes at different widths for different planes.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:23 AM
4.6ssguy

I broke down and bought the great planes c.g. kit was to impatient to build one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.