Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hobbyzone Super Cub Brushless Motor Upgrade

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hobbyzone Super Cub Brushless Motor Upgrade

Old 03-22-2015, 05:43 PM
ArcadeAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbyzone Super Cub Brushless Motor Upgrade

Hi Folks
I wanted to share this motor upgrade of my Hobbyzone Super Cub.
I selected a Park 480 1320KV motor, a RCTimer 30 amp esc and the FrSky X8R receiver for this upgrade.

First, removed the old brushed motor and gearbox assembly, then removed the old Spektrum receiver / brushed ESC. Before removing the motor, I measured the distance from the fire wall to the prop shaft so that I could get the new motor's shaft to wind up in the same place. I discovered that I would need to shim the new motor out by 1 inch to accommodate fitting the engine cowl properly.

This pic shows the size difference from the old brushed setup and the new brushless power plant.

Next, from my measurements, I determined the location of the motor mounting screws. I am using 1 5/8 inch #6 fine thread drywall screws for the task. I pre drilled the new mounting hole locations so that the plastic fire wall would not split. The thrust angle is built into the fire wall, so I did not have to worry about getting the motor angled properly.

Then, I used a large drill bit to counter sink the new motor mount so that it would accept the drywall screws. It is not the perfect angle, but the screws should hold good and tight.

Now I had to find some kind of a spacer to get the new motor extended outward by one inch. I found these pegboard spacers at the local hardware store. Each one is 1/2 inch. By stacking 2 each on all four screws, I got my one inch extension.

My pre drilled holes seemed too small, so I re-drilled them a few sizes larger, then attached the new motor and mount.

After the screws were good and tight, I put a drop of hot melt on the screws to keep any vibration from loosening them.

The motor placement was almost perfect. I had to nibble out a little bit of the cowl for clearance.

With the cowl back on, everything is looking good.

I will add part two tomorrow. I can show you the installation of the electronics and possibly a video of the run-up.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB01.jpg
Views:	1863
Size:	593.2 KB
ID:	2083435   Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB02.jpg
Views:	1491
Size:	842.6 KB
ID:	2083436   Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB03.JPG
Views:	1432
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	2083437   Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB04.jpg
Views:	1454
Size:	705.5 KB
ID:	2083441   Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB05.jpg
Views:	1427
Size:	725.7 KB
ID:	2083442   Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB07.jpg
Views:	1902
Size:	565.2 KB
ID:	2083443   Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB08.jpg
Views:	1392
Size:	610.3 KB
ID:	2083444   Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB09.jpg
Views:	1391
Size:	564.7 KB
ID:	2083445  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB10.jpg
Views:	1408
Size:	582.4 KB
ID:	2083449  
Old 03-23-2015, 10:44 AM
ArcadeAir

Part Two:

The motor leads were not long enough to reach inside the fuse, so I had to solder extensions on. I also soldered 4mm bullet connectors on the leads and the ESC. Shrink tubing was used on all solder joints also.

Now Ive got everything plugged in and Im ready to bind the receiver to my FrSky Taranis Plus !

Everything is mounted with two sided adhesive vel-cro.

Last but not least, a wheel upgrade. I used Dubro 3" wheels for grass landings.
The telemetry is all set up for my receiver voltage and RSSI. I have voice alerts set to alert me of impending doom.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB11.jpg
Views:	1428
Size:	776.0 KB
ID:	2083639   Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB12.jpg
Views:	1349
Size:	632.0 KB
ID:	2083642   Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB13.jpg
Views:	1382
Size:	594.5 KB
ID:	2083645   Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB14.jpg
Views:	1384
Size:	736.3 KB
ID:	2083646  
Old 04-28-2015, 05:39 AM
ArcadeAir

Finally got a good flight in with the updated Super Cub. I had to add weight to the nose... it was tail heavy and un flyable. With the CG in good shape, she flies great... Lots of power too!
Old 02-01-2021, 08:14 PM
laurencekeeton

Default laurencekeeton

Originally Posted by ArcadeAir View Post
Finally got a good flight in with the updated Super Cub. I had to add weight to the nose... it was tail heavy and un flyable. With the CG in good shape, she flies great... Lots of power too!
What batteries did you use?