Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Big Stik XL little pricey!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Big Stik XL little pricey!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 05:21 AM
hayman1
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Big Stik XL little pricey!

Just received my new Holiday Tower Talk catalog this week and on the front page a new XL Big Stik release. The Stik series ARF's from Great Planes is one of my favorite go to planes to fly. I was very excited to see they have a new XL offering until I saw the new sticker price! WOW, I think it's priced pretty high for a Stik type model even for Great Planes and there great manufactured quality that we get typically, whats everyone's thought on the price point offered? Perhaps if enough of us pilots speak up we may get a price adjustment sometime down the road. I look forward to read how others feel regarding this new product.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:27 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Glanced at mine too - what got my attention regarding the new Stik is that it isn't historically correct - it is a tail-dragger and it is big at 96" WS.

Always thought Ugly/Big Stiks had to be tricycle-geared airplanes and checked the downloaded manual only to find there is no option to install a nose wheel...
Old 10-16-2017, 06:13 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I call nose-wheeled aircraft "firewall removers"
Old 10-17-2017, 03:33 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
LOL

I prefer tail draggers, too.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:54 AM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Why not a sweet-n-low version that size?

scott
Old 10-18-2017, 11:55 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
Once prospective pilots learn how to take-off and land an airplane, the firewall remains intact.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Aloha Gentlemen,
I dully thank Phil Kraft for the design of the Ugly Stick and yes...the first ones all came as nose draggers. My first ones did...but I transistioned to tail draggers and have flown them as tail draggers ever since. Birdie and Midwest made a giant Ugly Stick...and a Giant low wing too...but u-build kits. If you want a low wing kit...you can buy a AMR u-build kit in both low wing and standard shape U-build 50cc size kit that retails for $561.00 U.S. Bucks ...you need to add shipping on to this too. The ARF that Tower's 50 cc gas Ugly Stick...cost $499.99...and its built+shipping.

I have built the 50 cc size AMR Giant Ugly Stick Twin...its the 50cc size, with a twin conversion to the wing. Its a computer cut kit and its big. I'm done with the fuse and into the wing...and its a big model. 106" wing span and with my modifications to the fuselage, the fuse is 86" long and built with a removable horizontal stabilizer (you can do this to u-build kits-not easy to ARF's).

It is a great model to transition from your first beginners model, for they fly well and very easy to fly .

I have flown all the Tower Hobbies Big Sticks...but the quality of the wood kind of went down hill for me, in my last Tower Big Stick model. The .60 size for sure (I fly with a 20cc gas engine). I have found all the Horizon build Ultra Stick models to be better built...and I make this claim only for the Ultra Sticks I purchased from them...not any other model. My current model is very well built and I highly recommend the 30cc size Ultra Stick.

I have flown and built Ugly sticks from 24" up to 106" from a Cox TD .049 to twin 35 cc gas engines. I have built and flown one, two, three and four engine Ugly Sticks...with both floats and skis...and two wings to. There is no other model as predictable flying as the Ugly Stick series and it is the most copied model too. The first small size Stick was a kit put out by Lennie Lenard, in L.A., called the little stick. I flew it with a S.T. 20. 23. Then larger and smaller engines to today's build. I am assembling the Horizons 30 cc Ultra Stick now, and have installed a VVRC twin cylinder 40cc gas engine.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 10-18-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Default Low wing

Model Airplane news years ago had article where the writer used the GP Giant Big Stick and built it upside down.

Wasn't a big deal and flew well.

Would be easy to do with the new stick too.

Simply Google it... http://www.modelairplanenews.com/gia...ts-a-makeover/

Originally Posted by csandt051196
Why not a sweet-n-low version that size?

scott