Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Fly Model 30 cc THunderbird

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Fly Model 30 cc THunderbird

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 04:54 AM
Tazx100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly Model 30 cc THunderbird

I just bought a flymodel 30 cc thunderbird that is NIB and would appreciate any feedback on the bird, especially what engine you used and how the bird balanced. I was thinking bout either a vvrc 40 twin or a dle 35 ra depending on the cg. I would rather not add any lead on either end. I would add a link but the site says I cant untill i have had 10 posts.The plane is at Rcjetsworld.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:14 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

There is a link to thread on another forum on the rcjetsworld.com Thunderbird page..
Old 10-25-2017, 01:52 PM
Tazx100

yes ive looked at that thread and the info im looking for isnt there thanks
Old 10-27-2017, 06:41 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't built that plane, but so many of these "China built" planes are so similar, I think it safe to say you could build it with either of those engines without worry about adding ballast. The trick is to do a CG location mock up to see where "stuff" needs to go about 1/2-3/4 of the way through your build. Installing the rudder servo at mid ship using pull/pull vs. mounting it in the rear with the elevator servos can make a huge difference in CG location, just like your battery locations.

1/2-3/4 done CG mock up = engine fully installed, including prop and spinner, wings completed with servos and linkage installed, and tail surfaces installed (but no servos yet). Assemble the wings on the fuse, set the cowl on top of the engine temporarily, set the canopy on the wing, and check your balance. At this point, screw the plans! Move the rest of your stuff to get the plane to balance as desired (usually on the wing tube). Been building this way for quite a while now, and have not added 1 once of ballast to any plane since adopting this practice.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Tazx100

Thanks for the advice, just got the plane today and I agree totally with your advice. It did come with a pull pull set up for the rudder and the tail can be assembled with one servo for the elevators, im not a 3d guy but id like two servos on the elevator

Last edited by Tazx100; 10-27-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:00 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, exactly. Use your mounting options wisely, with final CG location as a priority, and never add ballast again! My latest, a 30cc Skyline Edge I completed about a month ago, came in at 10lbs 2 oz. That's SUPER light for a plane of this size and power! In sorting it out/getting to know it, I find it's right on the borderline regarding my preferred CG, so I may end up moving the rudder servo to the rear and relocating the battery (again) before I'm all done messing with it, but that's no big deal. I will not need to add any weight!

Best of luck! -Al
Old 11-16-2017, 08:16 AM
Tazx100

ttt