Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

giant Nobler ????

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

giant Nobler ????

Old 07-14-2018, 06:24 PM
r ward

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default giant Nobler ????

has anyone ever expanded a Nobler to giant scale size..... maybe 7-8 ft wingspan ?. what are your thoughts ?.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:50 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The original RC Nobler had a 51" wing span and I believe was set up for a .40, @ 175% you would have a wingspan of 89 1/4' (7' 5 1/4"),
it would have a very think wing root, as it was a direct adaptation of the C/L Nobler. Checked on Outer Zone and they have the plans for
download if that is what you want to build, you could convert all of the thicknesses and spar sizes to suit the power you were thinking of
using to get this baby airborne. Heck if your going big, go 200% ( 8 1/2' W/S), what a hoot to fly. I would also recommend lengthening the
fuselage just a tad to make it look a bit better, rather than short and stubby. Good luck if you decide to go with the project.

Bill D.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:46 AM
r ward

might make this an official winter project this year. built a few as a teenager and always liked their looks.

Last edited by r ward; 07-17-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:40 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I already have the plan downloaded, if I didn't have a bunch of other projects I would, tackle this one to
Maybe as a 200% giant job with 40 to 50 gas engine in it.
Keep me informed if you decide to do this one, would love to see how it turns out.

Bill D.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:40 PM
r ward

I will do that !, I have the Outer Zone plan, also. currently looking at weed whacker conversions. I have a couple candidates that I don't use anymore and "engine" knowledge and experience is my strong suit. i'll most likely size it to one of them. lots of reading to do now..... biggest concern is airfoil for plane of projected size.....study similar size planes and copy wing chord and thickness, I expect. I agree about the fuse,....a little more tail moment,.... when you take away the control lines, you have to find a new way to make the back end to stay behind the front end ! beyond these two issues, I don't think there will be much problem about expanding it. I know there is an r/c plan and I remember reading that one of the changes was lengthening the tail moment for this reason. will also look at lengthening to balance out front weight of chosen engine. I believe in building to balance rather than adding weight,....., at least to the point of having to add as little weight as possible.. you can only do so much on the drawing board.
i'll keep you posted........