Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

.40 size glow powered trainer

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

.40 size glow powered trainer

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 AM
USMC2111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .40 size glow powered trainer

I have been looking at a lot of different websites that sell RC airplanes and I cannot find any .40 sized nitro ARF trainers. I have switched most of my current planes to electric, and now I’ve got the itch to go back to glow. I’m also going to be teaching my son to fly (he’s already doing well on a simulator), and I want to teach him on both electric and glow motors. But everywhere I look, everything is unavailable or temporary unavailable with no mention of when more will be available. Is everything going to mostly electric now and companies are really cutting back on glow powered planes, or did I just happen to coincidentally catch all this at a bad time and and more will be available later? I was really wanting to get a Avistar Elite ARF or something similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-22-2019, 07:25 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

SIG still sells the Kadet ARF in a dual glow/electric version (https://sigmfg.com/collections/sig-a...-lt-40-egv-arf

But generally, there are no "new" glow ARFs or kits. That part of the hobby is dying fast. I saw a posting from a designer at Hangar 9 that they are very close to abandoning any new wood airplanes in the future. Wood flyers will buy foam on occasion, foam guys rarely by wood. So someone learning on an electric foam trainer will tend to stay in that world....
Old 09-22-2019, 10:03 AM
USMC2111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tedsander
SIG still sells the Kadet ARF in a dual glow/electric version (https://sigmfg.com/collections/sig-a...-lt-40-egv-arf

But generally, there are no "new" glow ARFs or kits. That part of the hobby is dying fast. I saw a posting from a designer at Hangar 9 that they are very close to abandoning any new wood airplanes in the future. Wood flyers will buy foam on occasion, foam guys rarely by wood. So someone learning on an electric foam trainer will tend to stay in that world....
I really hate to hear that! While I think there are some great foam planes out there, there is just something special about hearing a glow motor, especially a 4 stroke, on a plane. It gives it a bit more realistic sound and feel. I really hope someone steps in to fill that void.

If the companies are leaving wood behind, then I suppose the glow engines won’t be far behind. So far, there seems to be plenty of them on the market at the moment.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:42 PM
tedsander

The other straw-breaking-the-camels-back....check out the price of glow fuel! Between hazmat fees and nitro not being produced in the US any more....

The other day I needed to grab a full jug from my stock, some of which was getting pretty old. I was having a hard time figuring out which was oldest vs new. Considered using the amount of dust on the bottle as a guide. Then realized I could do better by putting them in order via the price stickers still on the jugs.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:14 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

If you look everyday on e...B...a...y, you will find one. I remember seeing a couple that came on the market today, Monday.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:22 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMC2111
I’ve got the itch to go back to glow.

Don't blame you one bit. Glow is where it's at for me. I recently got two electrics and have had nothing but problems with them. Either the ESC not working with my RX or the motor burning up. The constant charging is the biggest deal breaker. When I take my electric to the field I fly my glow models many times over while the battery is charging. I can fill up my SIG Senior equipped with a large tank and can stay airborne for twenty minutes, land, refuel in 4 minutes, and go right back up. Try that with an electric.
Is everything going to mostly electric now
Sure seems like it and I don't like it one bit. Good news is that you find great deals on glows models. I have bought all my stuff from Craigslist for peanuts.
I was really wanting to get a Avistar Elite ARF or something similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I actually purchased an Avistar with along with a Nexstar recently that sat for many years. I only got the Avistar back in the air and the larger Nexstar is sitting as a desk ornament for now. Judging by the spotless glow plug and piston top I don't think it was ever even started much less flown. If you were closer to southern Wisconsin I'd sell it to you. Here are my oil burners at the airport last weekend:

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 09-25-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:20 AM
Skyhawk940

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Avistar is one GREAT airplane and trainer. You won't outgrow it. Even after having an Edge 260, the Avistar was the goto airplane!
Old 09-26-2019, 08:25 AM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by Skyhawk940
The Avistar is one GREAT airplane and trainer.
This. I liked the Superstar I had once too. That one flew slower but this one is more maneuverable.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:39 AM
ramboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can find glow trainers for sale on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:09 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are willing to go to the dark side, RCG has an active classified and trainers are common, usually cheaper than fleabay.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:36 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-2-Ho....c100010.m2109
Old 09-28-2019, 06:02 AM
ramboy

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
Don't blame you one bit. Glow is where it's at for me. I recently got two electrics and have had nothing but problems with them. Either the ESC not working with my RX or the motor burning up. The constant charging is the biggest deal breaker.

I had the same problems. I bought a Sig Kadet LT-40 ARF to build as an electric. The instructions explained exactly what LiPo batteries and electric motor to use. I used those specific items and still had problems. I am not even sure the electric motor recommended in the instructions is correct for the LT-40 application.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:34 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by ramboy
I had the same problems. I bought a Sig Kadet LT-40 ARF to build as an electric. The instructions explained exactly what LiPo batteries and electric motor to use. I used those specific items and still had problems. I am not even sure the electric motor recommended in the instructions is correct for the LT-40 application.
I learned the hard way that the throttle channel has to be reversed when an ESC is plugged in. Lucky only cost me a broken prop and not a severed finger. Glow engines usually don't fire up by themselves when you merely fill the tank. :-)

Here is a Craigslist example. New in box Superstar RTF for $150. Tempted to get it myself.

https://muskegon.craigslist.org/for/...970109609.html

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 09-28-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:11 AM
ramboy

Speaking of ESC's my Kadet has a Castle Creations ESC. Nowhere in the ESC instructions does it mention you need to calibrate the transmitter throttle/ESC after arming the ESC. You need to move the throttle stick to full for 3-4 seconds, then move the throttle stick back down to off. I only found out about this after talking with Castle customer support.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:28 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's standard procedure to set up ESC's and motors with your radio WITHOUT a prop attached. Every instruction manual I've ever read for an electric system says this. If a plane came to life unexpectedly and caused an unsafe situation, that was user error, not a flaw in electrics vs. glow.
My club has had a hard time finding trainer planes too. If really makes you wonder what the ARF manufacturers are thinking. How are they going to sell aerobatic and scale planes if new pilots can't get past the beginner stage with a good trainer?
Old 10-07-2019, 06:06 AM
tedsander

Ditto in my club, if we are talking about glow trainers. Members constantly haunt the estate sales, craigslist, etc. to find ones to keep in stock. But the reality is that MOST beginners are being steered to the foam electric trainers - The Apprentice, etc., which make up the bulk of the training where I teach. I'm the outlier, sitting there with my glow trainer....