Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

hanger 9 timber or ultra stick

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

hanger 9 timber or ultra stick

Old 01-21-2020, 02:18 AM
logerkev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hanger 9 timber or ultra stick

hello
i got a bran new fuji 43 cc engine laying around looking for a new home im really looking at the timber 110 but wondering if it would require a bigger engine.
option two was maybe the 30cc ultra stick.
im looking for sport flying nothing crazy like 3D flying id buy a dle or DA for that plane when the time comes.
thanks
Old 02-01-2020, 10:51 PM
W6CMR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Building a Timber 110 now. I have a RCGS 60cc to put in it. Overkill for sure but it's what I have. I think a 43cc would do fine for the flying you describe.

Craig
Old 04-15-2020, 10:38 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Aloha,
I have both and powered my 30cc Ultra Stick with a VVRC twin cyl. 40 cc gas engine. I purchased after market landing gear, because of prop strikes. I went through to many props with the standard gear and besides the landing gear supplied with the kit is way to weak for the airframe. Your Fugi 43 is a heavier engine then my VVRC and you will need to go to heavier more robust landing gear and use at a minimum of 4.0" or larger tires. There is no clearance for the proper sized prop your engine will use with stock landing gear. Believe me, you will need to make changes to the landing gear on this model, and I would strongly add to use an after market 1/4 scale tail wheel-mine was a bit heavier the first thought. It is a good flying model and fun too...but does not float like most smaller Ugly Sticks are famous for. For balance mount all your servo's in the aft of the air craft and I had three mounted aft. I made a second mount forward on the port side of the aircraft, just forward of the hole the kit built into the kit (the kit provides two servo holes, and are covered over with film-one on each side of the vertical fuse. sides). You will have two servo mounts aft near the forward end of the stab. I mounted my Rx aft of the fuel tank and I mounted my fuel tank as close to the C/G as I could. I made a servo mount inside the normal fuel tank area on the starboard side, aft against the leading edge of the wing, bulkhead. I mounted my 6v ignition battery and ignition in normal fuel tank area. I had an electronic RPM gauge, on/off ignition light and two battery checkers mounted out side the fuel tank area, with my fuel dot. I ran two servo's for elevators and one for the rudder.

I put an EME 35cc gas engine with auto start in my Timber. The Timber is a ***** cat and well put together model. I used the recommended scale Super Cub landing gear and tail wheel assy. on this model. Its shows this on the Horizon video and I also used the 8" wheels recommended too. It is a sweet heart in the air, more stable then the Ugly Stick. The auto start is a sweet addition and highly recommend you try it. I just stand hit a switch and she starts in a heart beat. The EME is a solid engine and use the EME 60 auto start in my T.F. F6F. Good engines...take the time and tune it...and you will be amazed at how solid an engine these little jewels are. I have slats installed....and its so fun to hang on the prop and drop it in for a landing with full flaps.

Both are good flying models, but the Ugly Stick is a point and fly model. It will not auto correct and is not as stable flying as the Timber. If you are a good average pilot the Ugly Stick is fun to play with. But personally....I love the Timber.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 04-15-2020 at 10:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tailskid (04-16-2020)