Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Carbon Cub 15cc

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Carbon Cub 15cc

Old 05-19-2020, 09:00 AM
Pilot_Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Carbon Cub 15cc

I'm about to spend on the Carbon Cub from Hangar 9, as it is a wood model that is an ARF, that looks great. I want to get a float plane to the lake in the two months and have no time to hack together a full build kit. This Carbon Cub looks awesome, but I have read a few bad reviews for the build quality of it, covering material all rinkled(but should iron out) and being really heavy.

Not sure if these reviews are by ones that just had bad luck and feel a need to slam a good plane? .. so I'm asking, if anyone has experience with this aircraft? Is that bad? And I know there will be things to improve, but most of them do.

Any experience with this model, please tell
Old 05-19-2020, 09:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

A friend of mine has one and is pretty happy with it, I've flown it several times. In fact I made custom Cub Crafters cowl logos for it.

If I didn't have the H-9 1/4 scale and the new 60cc XCub I would have no problem buying one, I almost grabbed at Perry just for the heck of it
Old 05-19-2020, 09:24 AM
Pilot_Guy

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
A friend of mine has one and is pretty happy with it, I've flown it several times. In fact I made custom Cub Crafters cowl logos for it.

If I didn't have the H-9 1/4 scale and the new 60cc XCub I would have no problem buying one, I almost grabbed at Perry just for the heck of it
I'm going to go ahead and do it, even if it needs a few wrinkles ironed out. I'm new to ARF and I heard most of them that are using shrink covering, need to be re-ironed out, but no big deal. I'd get the eflight foam Cub, which is pretty nice, bit I have an itch for wood models and the price differences are not that huge as complete, plus I can run electric in the wood Cub, which is nice. It will take a month of weekends to get it up and running, but that's ok, should be a fun project and real nice looking plane when done, should be a conversation piece at the lake, thanks
Old 05-19-2020, 03:35 PM
Pilot_Guy

Oh wow, now I've done it. I couldn't make up my mind I wanted to get flying something in the next few weeks and the Hangar 9 cub would take a couple of months to get ready, plus it would be really expensive, over 1,100 dollars to get ready. I haven't flown in a decade, so risking that big cub would be a mistake. However it is so beautiful and I'm afraid it might get sold out by the time I get it, so I made a huge decision, fueled by my desire to have some fun, aircraft and that huge Carbon Cub. I ended up getting the Eflite Maule with the safe equipped reciever, plus I got the Hangar 9 Cub 15cc, and saving it for a rainy day so I can take it slow and build it up real nice. In the meantime I believe the little Maule is going to be a heck of a lot of fun!...It comes with floats which is awesome and lights.... Thanks to everyone for the help here and suggestions I really appreciate it1
Old 05-20-2020, 03:18 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

The Maule is a blast, fly it on 4S
Old 05-20-2020, 06:30 AM
Pilot_Guy

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
The Maule is a blast, fly it on 4S
I'm getting a 3s and a 4s I'm more of a scale flyer, but will probably ring it out once I get used to it.
This is my first foam airplane, but from all the videos I saw of the Maule, it sure looks nice and flies great.
I got the ASX3 SAFE, or whatever it is, version so I can just link up the DX6e radio.
Definitely putting the floats on and itching for a real calm, no wind day at the lake so I can try it out.
It may be an expensive piece of foam, but I got thinking about it, with all the servos, electronics, pretty much all built, brush-less motor and it does fly like a dream according to everyone, plus working flaps and scale details, eve a pilot figure....for 260.00 I really think now, that it is a good deal actually.
I was going to get the FMS Beaver which is a lot bigger, but it would be 300.00 more than the maule, so I decided to get the Maule and purchase the Hangar 9 Carbon Cub with that saved 300. I'll fly the Maule and have fun with that and build up enthusiasm to get started building up the Carbon cub, which I want to do a real nice job on.

Thanks, everyone for helping me out with my latest, money burning escapade....it's all good.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 AM
Pilot_Guy

Just got my Eflite Maule today, first foam airplane. While I was hesitant on a foam airplane, I looked at my Maule and I'm sort of impressed. No doubt it is foam, but man it is a nice looking piece of foam, has a lot of detail and the big tires are great, plus the floats actually have a servo controlled rudder built in, I did not know that, very impressed. I took all of the parts out and layed them nicely on my work surface, read the instructions twice and got tools together. I plan on casually assembling this on Sunday and get it pretty much complete and all adjusted correctly. No doubt that it does fly well from what I have seen on youtube. I also have the Spektrum 6e radio that seems to be of good quality and looks nice. I'm a Futaba guy, but I got the spektrum, because it seems it is a partner to the reciever that is in my Maule. I got the BNF SAFE version. So far I do like the foam airplane, looks like this will be a lot of fun, honestly.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:18 AM
Pilot_Guy

Just received my Hangar-9 Carbon 15cc ARF today. I was kind of nervous about this shipment, being it's a huge package and fedex really doesn't care what is in it. I worked it out so I could be home for when it arrives, so it wouldn't be sitting in the hot sun all day where they usually put stuff. I wasn't chancing that. everything seems to be ok on a quick inspection, no box damage and the wings look to be undamaged. They had them in bags on top of everything, that were stapled to the box sides, so they didnt move around. I will do a better inspection tonight, but so far it looks amazing with lots of potential. I do have a random, small pucker or wrinkle or two, but nothing as bad as I have been told about these ARF's I think most of those will be easily taken care of. So as of now I am very happy with my first ARF experience and I'm planning to get this together correctly and solid. Float kit on the way now, also. P.S. I noticed it was built in Vietnam, well..... Can we not make these in America?.....nothing against Vietnam I was just expecting something like this was made in America by Horizon.

Last edited by Pilot_Guy; 05-29-2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Can't spell worth anything
Old 05-29-2020, 11:39 PM
EF

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Would be nice to see a detailed assembly thread... I also have my eyes on this model but although Hangar 9 models are usually good, the reports Iíve read on this one are so-so.

I only have the Hangar 9 Piper Pawnee, which I assembled very slowly with lots of attention to small improvements aimed to enhance its longevity, and it was probably a good idea since Iíve been flying it extensively for some 7 years and it still looks brand new (uses a four stroke engine).

BTW, if it were made in America, probably no one would buy it because of what it would cost...
Old 05-30-2020, 07:09 AM
Pilot_Guy

I have yet to really examine everything closely, just got it yesterday, but from what I have seen in the box so far, is good. I examined the horizontal stabilizer and one wing and only the slightest wrinkles in the covering, nothing that can't be ironed out. everything looks straight and nothing broken. From the one side of the fuse I could see, it also looks good. Again the slightest imperfection in the finish on one area I could see. I think I can improve it, but it was not as bad as I was expecting fr, which iom the reports I have read. I guess some had trouble with the motor mount falling off due to a bad glue job, not sure how many have done that, but I am going to improve this area when I build mine, as well as other areas people seemed to have trouble with, mainly the hinges, although I just think people don't install them correctly.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:29 AM
Mark071704

Be sure to check the ribs on the wings. Mine came damaged but was easily replaced by the company. I have the DLE20RA on mine with an aluminum engine mount. I hooked up a voltage regulator to drop the voltage down to 3 volts coming out of the receiver and it is operated to turn on and off when the IBEC is armed. Easy way to know if the engine kill switch is on or off. I am using one Life battery for the receiver and ignition. I have about 5 flights on my plane so far of which each one wound up ground looping on landing. I originally left it nose heavy but wound up having to put 2 ounces of counter weight on the fuse under the stab to balance it. I have yet to get a test flight done with the added weight to see how it affects the landing. I am flying off pavement so that makes it more sensitive. Luckily only minor damage to wing tips so far and I fixed it then glued yellow zip ties on the edge of the wing to protect it if it does ground loop. I am hoping maybe adding the tail weight will help balance it out better. Other than that the plane is a very scale flier and I am currently using the recommended throws stated in the manual. I also tried the larger dubro 6" tires but with the ground loop issue I went back to the factory 4.5" tires. I got tied up flying the pulse 125 with dle20 I picked up and finally got to maiden so I didn't get the cub up in the air to test it again with the added weight. I used the servos mentioned in the manual and the AR9350 receiver. This was my first ARF after learning to fly with the Turbo Timber 1.5 and Apprentice 1.5e.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:33 AM
Pilot_Guy

Originally Posted by Mark071704 View Post
Be sure to check the ribs on the wings. Mine came damaged.
I went over everything last night really closely and didn't find any damage. I can see how the wing ribs can get damaged though I do not like how they are packed on top, free to flop around. They had the wing bags stapled to the box, but that doesn't protect them from things sitting on top of the box and flopping up and down while being handled. The entire air frame should be packed tight in a foam casing type container. I do not like Hangar-9 packing on this one. However it was undamaged, and only the flaws in the covering are apparent, but nothing that cannot be really treated nice to get smooth again. I only had a pucker here and there, just a bit of loose covering near the tail/stab. No big deal at all and I will happily smooth it out the way it should. It's a very large plane and the colors are great. I didn't find any large gaps or cracked glue joints from what I could see, fit looked decent and air frame seems to be very true and straight. I''m sure I will find some other flaws when I get going, but I'm willing to work with it and get this thing into an amazing float plane. I think it has great potential. I even got an entire strope/navigation light system I will be putting in, from unilight. I will probably have to cut the covering to fit in the wires, which is ok....I'll make it ok I just have to have full lights on this thing, but I may install those once I am comfortable flying it for the first few flights. If I don't crash it hard I will put in the lighting system.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:20 AM
Mark071704

I currently have the recommended throws set up on the plane. The ailerons are going to need more throw as the plane can't be rolled over in flight and flies likes it's stuck in the mud. The stock rudder throws are very responsive. Yesterday while flying I was up high about half throttle and applied 3/4 rudder to see how the plane would react and the plane immediately started to roll and dive. I had to counter and add full throttle so it wouldn't crash. You really need to be easy on the rudder. I was having a ground looping problem on pavement and it was happening every time I landed. I wound up gluing zip ties to the under tip of the wing to protect it. I am flying the DLE20RA in my plane. I rebalanced the plane and added 2oz of stick on weights to the fuse under the stab. I was able to land yesterday without a ground loop by getting on the rudder as soon as the mains touched down. I also had a screw fall out of one of the wing struts that was installed by the factory so I will be fixing that over the weekend. I do love the plane for scale flying. It is a big hit at the field.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:26 PM
Pilot_Guy

Originally Posted by Mark071704 View Post
I currently have the recommended throws set up on the plane. The ailerons are going to need more throw as the plane can't be rolled over in flight and flies likes it's stuck in the mud. The stock rudder throws are very responsive. Yesterday while flying I was up high about half throttle and applied 3/4 rudder to see how the plane would react and the plane immediately started to roll and dive. I had to counter and add full throttle so it wouldn't crash. You really need to be easy on the rudder. I was having a ground looping problem on pavement and it was happening every time I landed. I wound up gluing zip ties to the under tip of the wing to protect it. I am flying the DLE20RA in my plane. I rebalanced the plane and added 2oz of stick on weights to the fuse under the stab. I was able to land yesterday without a ground loop by getting on the rudder as soon as the mains touched down. I also had a screw fall out of one of the wing struts that was installed by the factory so I will be fixing that over the weekend. I do love the plane for scale flying. It is a big hit at the field.
Im loving this airplane the more I look at it. I received the floats for it today, the reccomended floats from hangar 9. They are huge, all metal strutting, ballast hatches, servo mounting, drop down rudder and simulated control lines. Real nice. All wood and fiberglass built. At this point I'm leaning towards gas power, still not sure, but the floats are not lite and when all loaded I bet this plane is quite heavy which is ok, because I want scale flight, no 3-d stuff. However I do not know how much one of those big, brushless motors can put out....it may be fine.

For now though, I'm prepping my eflite maule for practice then putting together my new Kadet mark 2 for some brushing up experience before I get going on the big Cub. I plan to do it right and make sure everything is perfect before sending it. It's been so long since I've had airplanes.