Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New arfs I have recently tried.

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New arfs I have recently tried.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:43 AM
Hyjinx

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by allanflowers View Post
Here are two progress photos of the Waco. I won't drag everybody through the obvious build traumas (struggles with hardware, lack of decent instructions, etc.). So far, however, I like this model. Hopefully when the battery gets here late this week and I can balance the plane and go for a maiden.

Thanks for posting Allan.
I would sure like to know the aggregate hours up to maiden status for this arf if you decide to document that aspect of your experience.
Thank your for consideration.
Aaron-
Old 10-20-2021, 09:53 AM
scottrc

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had the Dynam Waco for about six years now and its my most flown plane. Like most have said, throw away the hardware and re-glue and repaint the fuselage and you have a really good airplane. I replaced the servos and speed control and kept the motor.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:56 AM
scottrc

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, and make sure to secure the cowl with either magnets, or I used toothpicks, because it will want move forward into the prop.
The following users liked this post:
capt1597 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 12:00 PM
allanflowers

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The model I have has the cowl part of the fuselage, not separate. I will confirm this.

OMG! The cowl IS separate. I have now secured it with some steel pins (aka, finishing nails).
This is the beauty of these websites, thanks scottrc.

Last edited by allanflowers; 10-20-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:38 PM
allanflowers

I finally was able to do the maiden flight on this Dynam Waco this Oct 31st morning.

Take off was fine, rudder not very sensitive but the plane tracked straight. Power with the new four cell 2200 battery was not very energetic.

It needed a few clicks of right aileron and a couple of up elevator, then flew pretty good hands off. I will want to refine the trims more in the future. After about 3-4 minutes, it seemed to be loosing power so I brought it in. I actually thought it wasn’t going to make it but managed to do the last couple hundred feet at about a yard high. The landing was good and the plane taxis easily enough.

After working to see if I could ‘reset’ the ESC, and finding the power felt okay with the battery at about 70%, I tried another flight. The takeoff was
fine again but it exactly didn’t leap into the air. Nonetheless, I had a strong 2 minute+ flight and decided, the trims being okay, to bring it in. The landing was quite good by my lax standards but, it was slightly aimed at the fence. I gave it full right rudder but couldn’t avoid the damn fence.

The repair will be doable but I am still p#### about the lack of rudder response. I had full right rudder for the last 50 feet and didn’t see much response at all.

It had been set to the low end of the manual’s recommendations but it is clearly not enough. I am not the best flyer but hate to accept blame for a poorly setup plane when I was following the manual’s exact recommendations.

Other issues on the model:

- Balance according to the manual is right on.

- Elevator distortion from packing, when the surface is lined up perfectly, the aerobalance section on the ends is distorted and may be causing slight problems.

- Same thing with rudder, distortion makes it hard to determine when the surface is properly lined up with the fuselage.

- As mentioned in the maiden flight report, I do not have a lot of confidence in this 2200 battery. This may be because my not being used to the ESC and it’s power output but, at the end of the day, I am struggling to keep altitude without resorting to a higher throttle setting than I am used to. Hopefully I can adjust to this situation without resorting to the bigger batteries, which I do have for all my other electrics.

- Plane looks great and draws lots of positive attention (partly because of the painted struts and Acrylic finish which brings out the color so much better.

_ EASY to see and fly!

_ I think the plane could be built and in the air with maybe three hours or so but I took about 15.

Last edited by allanflowers; 10-31-2021 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
capt1597 (11-01-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 09:24 AM
allanflowers

The wing tip repair is almost done, using lite-weight spackle. I still have to find a black paint which won't dissolve the foam.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:08 AM
allanflowers

Two flights yesterday. This model still seems sluggish, especially on takeoff. I find that the power curve is strange compared to my other electrics. There is still power but right at the top end of the throttle stick. At odds with this is the fact that the low end is almost immediate with the slightest stick - kind of dangerous because the slightest touch causes the prop to start. This is a problem when one is checking/measuring control surface movements. At the end of the day, a loop requires planning to get through it because the total power is limited.
I could try to find a battery with a higher C rating (the one I have is 35C) and that might help the feel of it.
The plane is very easy to see and control so I will continue to work with it. It also draws compliments from other flyers because of its appearance.

One comment on the use of lightweight spackle for the foam repairs - I pushed cut off toothpicks into the wound to support the repair. I also painted on some titebond glue as a sort of primer to help the spackle to adhere better. The foam is almost the same hardness as the foam and makes a pretty good looking repair when painted.

Last edited by allanflowers; 11-05-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:45 AM
allanflowers

I flew the Waco at the Veterans Day Fly-in at the Weedwackers Field in Lakeside, Ca on Saturday. Also, this morning at my club field in Chula Vista, I got in two flights on each model. A good day and perfect weather.

capt1597 (11-15-2021)