Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New arfs I have recently tried.

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New arfs I have recently tried.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:55 PM
allanflowers

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

In advance of the maiden flight, these are a few scale modification on the Zero - some additions to the LG pants, blacking out the screws holding the cowl and a little Kanji symbol on the side below the cockpit (means 'dragon').

Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
allanflowers

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

The maiden flights on the Zero were this morning at the electric field in San Diego. I had brought the plane out on Sunday but only flew the Waco due to a crowded field, not all of which are experienced fliers. Today was better, with moderate winds more or less down the runway. First I tried two different props on the Waco, settling on the 13-6 APC rather than the Dynam 12-6 which would'nt even pull the plane through a loop with the 4s4000 battery. The APC is much better but the plane still hardly makes it over on a loop. I need to keep looking at other prop options but do not expect strong vertical performance with the Dynam supplied motor and ESC.
When the wind came up and from the NW, I did the maiden on the Zero. With the Hacker motor, it has lots of thrust and it leapt off the ground - after tracking fairly straight on the takeoff run. It tended to go left and climb but I was hesitant to trim it in the air. After a good landing and about 8 clicks of R aileron and 5 of Down elevator, I tried again. It turned out the elevator had to be trimmed back to zero and 2 more clicks of R did the job. On the same battery I landed, with one cell at 14% which is worrying. After cooling off, the cells are all at 30%.
Later on the bench, I have reduced the travel on aileron and elevator some - now that I know I am centered enough for landing, etc.
The model flies well but is a little too sensitive, especially in pitch. Maybe the reduced travel will do the job but if not, a little more weight in the nose could be needed.
It looks great and has drawn a lot of favorable comments in a crowd that is familiar with all the other offerings. I am looking forward to further tests (with the gear UP) but will have to wait for the weather to mellow.

Last edited by allanflowers; Yesterday at 12:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
capt1597 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 07:07 AM
Hyjinx

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by allanflowers View Post
The maiden flights on the Zero were this morning at the electric field in San Diego. I had brought the plane out on Sunday but only flew the Waco due to a crowded field, not all of which are experienced fliers. Today was better, with moderate winds more or less down the runway. First I tried two different props on the Waco, settling on the 13-6 APC rather than the Dynam 12-6 which would'nt even pull the plane through a loop with the 4s4000 battery. The APC is much better but the plane still hardly makes it over on a loop. I need to keep looking at other prop options but do not expect strong vertical performance with the Dynam supplied motor and ESC.
When the wind came up and from the NW, I did the maiden on the Zero. With the Hacker motor, it has lots of thrust and it leapt off the ground - after tracking fairly straight on the takeoff run. It tended to go left and climb but I was hesitant to trim it in the air. After a good landing and about 8 clicks of R aileron and 5 of Down elevator, I tried again. It turned out the elevator had to be trimmed back to zero and 2 more clicks of R did the job. On the same battery I landed, with one cell at 14% which is worrying. After cooling off, the cells are all at 30%.
Later on the bench, I have reduced the travel on aileron and elevator some - now that I know I am centered enough for landing, etc.
The model flies well but is a little too sensitive, especially in pitch. Maybe the reduced travel will do the job but if not, a little more weight in the nose could be needed.
It looks great and has drawn a lot of favorable comments in a crowd that is familiar with all the other offerings. I am looking forward to further tests (with the gear UP) but will have to wait for the weather to mellow.
Congratulations Allan. Build well done, maidens go well. Good job Sir. Video when you can?
Love to see a zero fly....
Aaron
​​​​​​