Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Is This Gonna Cause a Tip Stall on T/O?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Is This Gonna Cause a Tip Stall on T/O?

Old 08-23-2022, 11:05 AM
GorillaToast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is This Gonna Cause a Tip Stall on T/O?

The plane is a Seagull Super Decathlon 120 ARF, 79" WS.

The left wing reads 0.0 both at the root and tip. I can twist it forward at the tip to get it to read 0.0, but I'll need to enlist the aid of my wife to do it while I try to shrink the covering on the bottom of the wing enough that it holds.
I'm an intermediate pilot and this is my first Decathlon. I've read that they are notorious for stalling and torque rolling on takeoff. I normally do long, low takeoffs, so I'm confident I have that aspect of the problem covered. One guy reported he thought he had all his ducks in a row and still flipped it over to an untimely death. Someone suggested he might have had a warped wing.

I know the little down arrow on the gauge makes it look like it's reading 1.3* of washout, but the angle line to the left of the arrow shows the meter is angled up, not down. I think the arrow is to show you which way to move the meter to get to 0.0.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:22 PM
cyclops2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never had slow speed stalls. I fly with plenty of nose heavy COG at first. I even do hand tosses in dense 3 foot Orchard Grass. I fly smaller planes so stalls & damage are very rare. Until I get too daring, Stretching a dead engined wet fuel plane is a risky one.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:04 AM
mgnostic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

The first question to ask is: Is the twist symmetrical? You may have a warped wing. If so, it is a small enough warp that it can probably be fixed by putting a little twist on the effected wing and giving it a pass with a covering iron to reset the covering. As for the stall tendency I wonder how much of that comes from the planes appearance? By this, I mean that it looks like a floaty trainer but it isn't and it doesn't fly like one despite its looks. Building a little more speed before you rotate wont hurt anything.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:25 AM
GorillaToast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got back from the field where one of our most experienced pilots looked at doing with me and he felt that if I canít get all the twist out a slight bit of a trimming of the right elevator during flight should correct it. And then I can adjust the linkage to have that bit of up set in the right aileron. Iíll have to have my wife help me twist the wing while I shrink the covering this evening. Meanwhile, I have some other adjustments to make. We discovered a problem with ground loops while taxiing due to not enough rudder authority on low rates. It was suggested I put the rotor rates on a separate switch so I could use higher rates on the ground with lower elevator inhaler on rates for takeoff. Plus, he suggested I remove the 2į of right thrust in the motor. And I agree that should help.
things you just donít know, till you try them out.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:47 PM
H5606

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Balanced wash out is acceptable with a constant chord wing. In this case, wash-in is not a good thing; I would immensely try to get that side to match for 0 degrees at the very least. Long-time single life led me to be rather self-sufficient and correction can be done solo (without your wife, if your wife is not willing) - strapping and immobilizing the "good (0*)" side down to your work surface with straps, clamps, or weight distributed evenly so as not to point load is key with the working half accessible in open air so both sides are exposed. A heavy ironing board may come in handy here. Twist with one hand and heat with the other - hold until cool. You will have to heat shrink both sides - a little at a time - of affected panel (top & bottom) - you can use a heat gun and, of course - a tiny amount does a lot with care taken to restrict heat to areas that are not overlapping seams.