Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kangke Waco Biplane

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kangke Waco Biplane

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 09:25 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kangke Waco Biplane

I didn't spend the $400, the guy I bought it from had bought the engine at an estate sale, the box was still sealed from Horizon though, I guess the guy that paid died. I was kind of nervous when I read what they had done to the engine, i.e. started changing stuff and hoping.
I'll look a see if I can find the invoice and post it, gotta go to the Doctor's now.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I'm glad you're not out the $400.00

Hope you feel better.

Bob
Old 01-10-2005, 03:16 PM
soarrich

I ran the engine, it sounds very different, last time it sounded like a lot of little Harleys ( V twins?), this time it sounds much smoother. I was able to get 9000 RPM at first, then the top RPM keep getting lower, and I wasn't able to over richen it, so I assume I have dirt in the needle valve. I ran two tanks out at 4000 rpm, and had it idling at 1100 RPM. I was getting 230* on #1 & #2, 265* on #3.

I've posted the invoice. The way he describes it is the way it was when I got it, by changing the timing 360* on the #2 cylinder, it's now a nice compression bump every 240* like it should be. If you read the invoice it seems like he's guessing, and he never said he fixed it or that it had proper power levels. I'd be pissed if it had cost me $400!

I figure my neighbors heard it enough for today, so I'm going out for some large fuel tubing, I have medium on it now, and it's quite long so that may be a problem. While running the engine the radio got glitches when I stood over the plane, so I'm going to rewire the aileron servos with heavy twisted wire, and get rid of the metal pull pulls.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72533.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	213207  
Old 01-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Meesh

Hi Rich,

Could be the low speed is a little lean. Ultimately the low speed needle affects the high speed as well but just to be sure pull the high speed needle and blow everything out. Could be some fuel residue in there.

Sounds like your on the right track though. Put about 3 qts through it at half throttle running rich then tune for performance. Remember, all the rings were replaced and a couple of cylinders so it needs a breakin.

I've got a gallon and a half through mine and once it's warmed up it doesn't drop a cylinder.

Good luck

Don't you guys get any snow or cold weather in NJ??

Bob
Old 01-10-2005, 05:56 PM
soarrich

The cold and snow keeps JUST missing
I had enough cold in October when I was in New Hampshire and Vermont...burrrrrrrrrr at the top of Mt. Washington.

I forgot that the low might affect the highspeed I'll check that, thanks.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:34 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

I though I would post an update on my smoke situation in the waco. I acquired a used TME smoke pump from a clubmate, along with a dubro 24 ounce tank. I already have a dubro 20 ounce tank in the plane. I thought for sure there would be no way the two tanks would fit. When I got home, I was surprised to see that both tanks fit in the plane. I will mount them one on top of the other, right where the stock tank is supposed to be mounted. No grinding or cutting will be needed. Speaking of cold weather, I think I have both of you guys beat. We have about 14 inches of snow on the ground and the temp is hovering around 5 degrees during the day.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:05 PM
tigerrag

I have the WACO from Sportsman Av.Worst ARf I have ever seen! Look this one over GOOg before you start! For one thing the push rods are 1/16 .Way too small and flexible for a 60 size plane.The wind screen seems too small for tis size plane.The control horns sent are grey! this looks like crap on a white plane.I am replacing all control rods with golden rods and using white control horns.wheels are also too small for the size plane.YOU PAYS YOUR MONEY YOU TAKES YOUR CHANCES!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:07 PM
sbaugz

I have the WACO from Sportsman Av.Worst ARf I have ever seen!
tigerrag, not sure you realize it or not, but this post refers to the Kange Waco, not the sportsman waco- totally different plane.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:58 PM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: sbaugz

I was surprised to see that both tanks fit in the plane.
I was surprised when you were concerned if the tank would fit. If ever there was a biplane that could be used as a tanker, this is it. I think you could fit a couple 2 liter bottles in it.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:21 PM
sbaugz

Rich,
Despite having a large area inside the waco-believe it or not, things are really tight in there. My ZDZ 40 has a rear carb that sticks about 3 or more inches inside the fuselage. Add to that three battery packs, smoke pump, ignition, throttle servo, carb choke servo, receiver, etc, etc and there is actually very little room left- basically the only free area is underneath the bracing where the wing support mounts. In addition, I want those tanks as close to the CG as possible. Anyways, my point is that those two tanks barely fit in there- one on top of the other.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:24 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: tigerrag

I have the WACO from Sportsman Av.Worst ARf I have ever seen! Look this one over GOOg before you start! For one thing the push rods are 1/16 .Way too small and flexible for a 60 size plane.The wind screen seems too small for tis size plane.The control horns sent are grey! this looks like crap on a white plane.I am replacing all control rods with golden rods and using white control horns.wheels are also too small for the size plane.YOU PAYS YOUR MONEY YOU TAKES YOUR CHANCES!
Quote Worst ARF I have ever seen!

This arf for $200 has weak landing gear area... bad hardware... cost to fix... $10 - $15. It flys great .... looks super... covering very good. I've built 8 arfs and this is as good as any. Where are you from and what arfs have you built? Most every one I know changes the hardware and usually reenforces the landing gear area... We all have our prefereces for control horns ... rods and hookups... The Waco in this thread is $500 and people are changing hardware ... reenforcing the landing gear... and making there own mods... It's what this sport is all about... Worst ARF give me a break...

Sorry guys I know this is not about the Sportsman aviation ARF and don't mean to get off the subject... You want to see worse try a VMAR arf...

The WACO in this thread is excellent and the Sprtsman waco is also ... Each for the money is well worth what you get!!!
Old 01-13-2005, 08:49 PM
nuvaring
My Feedback: (6)

Any flying report updates on Kange's Waco? recently caught my eye, and wondering if a DA 50 would be a good choice.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:53 PM
sbaugz

DA50 would be awesome. Mine flies unlimited vert with a ZDZ40, so your DA50 would be even better. The waco is a great plane. Its got tons of wing area, so its not terribly difficult to fly and it has no bad tendancies. Ground handling is superb. No tendancy to by squirrly on the ground (like say the christen eagle).
Old 01-14-2005, 12:43 AM
soarrich

I've only got two short flights on mine, seems to fly like a pattern plane to me.

I flew mine while only getting 7100RPM with my Saito FA-170R3, it flew great.

I got 9200 RPM today, I can't wait to be over this cold so I can go out to play!

I would buy one again in a heartbeat.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Meesh

Hey Rich,

9200 RPM? What prop and fuel were you running?

Sounds like you've got all your issues worked out. Maybe you ought to get a job as a Tech. for Horizon!

Old 01-14-2005, 09:12 AM
soarrich

Meesh

I'm still using the same a 16 x 8 APC, using 20% oil, 20% nitro.

I dismounted the engine to get the carb off, I was going to take the manifold off the back of the engine, but I don't have a picture of how it should be setup, I have to assume it's right, so I saw no point in taking it apart. It seems like a lot of aluminum just for a manifold, the same space and weight you could easily have a diffuser/supercharger. I took the carb apart and cleaned it.

A small thing which I think made a big difference is I shorten the fuel line. When I first set the engine up I had the fuel line, (medium size), go from the tank to the cowl ring, then through a connector, back through the cowl ring to the carb, probably 12 inches total. Now it comes from the tank to a T fitting, then the carb, maybe 5 inches. I fuel it with the extra line off the T fitting now, rather than at the connector by the cowl ring.

I don't know if it's totally sorted out yet. Funny thing is when I finally felt like running the engine it was about 4:30pm, I started to test and the sun went down so the tach stopped giving readings after about 10 seconds of 9200 RPM, I thought the tach had died, but it was just no light being interrupted by the prop, with it getting dark so quickly I never got to setup the low speed settings, now it's raining.[:@]
Old 01-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Meesh

Hey Rich,

It's raining here too. Too bad because it's 57* outside! If it weren't raining I think I'd be flying (instead of working). Do you have the manual for the radial? If not, E:mail me [email protected] and I'll send you the .pdf file.

Bob
Old 01-14-2005, 09:59 AM
AJT

nuvaring
My waco has a Taurus 3.2 for power. I'll post on how it fly's as weather permitts. Right now I'm trying to figure out where to mount my 21oz smoke tank. It won't fit as a piggy back with my other tank. So it looks like I'll have to mount it just behind the C.G. My smoke system is a harris, and always has worked GREAT. If this plane fly's as good as it looks I'll be happy.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:30 AM
soarrich

Bob
I have what came with the engine, but the only thing on the manifold is the exploaded view, which isn't very good. Is there a shop manual?

AJT
It flys BETTER than it looks!
Old 01-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Meesh

Hi Rich

Not that I know of. It's the same book as I have.

Bob
Old 01-14-2005, 11:01 AM
sbaugz

I am just getting around to setting up and mounting my smoke. I am using a dubro 16 ounce tank for fuel, with a 20 ounce dubro piggybacked to that for smoke. Both of these just barely fit in right at the CG. My smoke pump is the TME smartsmoker.

Speaking of weather, we have 40 degrees BELOW ZERO with windchill right now. I won't be flying mine for a while now.

The one benefit of living in northern wisconsin, is that you get a LONG time over the winter to work on airplane projects.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:03 AM
sbaugz

Does anyone have the creme colored version of the waco? If so, I would be interested in seeing pics.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:49 PM
AJT

sorrich : Thanks for the heads up.

Sbaugz. I'm trying to use two sulivan 21oz very square tanks. they just won't work over the C.G. as a pair. Even the stock tank with one sulivan won't piggy back! I'll have think about this for awhile.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:15 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

Sbaugz make sure you get some pics up of your tanks and smoke install.Really would like to see how those tanks are fitting in there,Thanks.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:08 PM
sbaugz

okay, when I get to it I will post some pics. Right now I have been working on my CAP232 and the waco has been pushed to the side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.