Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kangke Waco Biplane

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kangke Waco Biplane

Old 01-30-2005, 05:51 PM
ramduster
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kangke Waco Biplane

I am thinking about this plane but the only engine that I have for it is a us41cc so what do you guys think a so so match that will fly the plane or a no go.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:32 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

I think it should work fine. My waco is WAY overpowered with my ZDZ40. While it won't be an unlimited performer with the US 41, it should work good. I have seen the GP Christen Eagle fly pretty well with a US41 in it, which is a fairly close comparison to the waco in terms of size and weight.

THe US also weighs about a pound more than the ZDZ but you shouldn't notice any difference with that small amount of weight difference. I have well over a pound of extra weight with my smoke system installed and there is no noticable performance difference with the extra weight.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

You will definately want to beef up the landing gear if you use the US 41. Even with the ZDZ 40 the landing gear are too light and needed help.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:14 PM
sbaugz

I agree, I used Bennett landing gear reinforcements to beef mine up. Got sick of breaking my 20x10 props when the gear flexed.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:38 PM
ramduster

Thanks guys I think I will be ordering one soon who on the web has the best price. tower has them but only limited stock.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Birddog-RCU

Looks like Tower has the best price. Many of us paid $450 for first release kits. You could possibly get other discounts from Tower for purchasing over a certain dollar amount(s).
Old 01-31-2005, 03:03 PM
sbaugz

tower definately has them for the lowest price when you use one of their sale coupons. If you call Kangke direct, they will probably match the tower price if tower doesn't have them in stock.

Otherwise, chief aircraft would be another option, and they will usually haggle somewhat on the price or maybe even ship for free. Another option to keep in mind, this plane comes in an all cream covered version, and you can apply your own trim scheme. I am not aware of any other mail order places that carry kangke.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:46 PM
ramduster

Thanks guys I talked to a hobby shop in town today and he said he will met or bet the tower price and also told me he will go ahead and order me one and hold it for me until I get my money back from uncle sam .
Old 02-03-2005, 01:51 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: OVER WORKED

Here is my finished plane, Chestnut brown with gold stripes.
This is the plane used for the instructions.

I just ordered the Beige Waco... I'm not sure what color I'm going to do on mine, but I just love how yours looks. The one question I had was how did you to the canopy?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25591.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	224492  
Old 02-03-2005, 03:44 PM
sbaugz

That beige one looks nice. I would have ordered that one instead of the red if I had been better at covering, but I was afraid I would have screwed it up. Make sure you post some pics of yours when you get it all trimmed out.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:57 PM
BULL-RCU

Now I just have to decide on which motor to put in it. Everything I have is nitro... I think I want this to be my first gas. I wish I knew more about the different motors... I don't want to hack apart the cowl to fit a gas motor... I'm going to try and find something small in sz with power. Just need to do tons of checking on quality vs price... etc... I have other planes of the same sz. but in nitro. I'm going to make this one my show plane so it's going to take some time. I have a couple friends who are incredable with covering so I can't wait to get started on this plane and come up with some covering ideas.

Keep the threads coming so I can get some ideas... I haven't seen any Video posted on this plane? RC Universe is great for ideas and answers to questions.

I'm going to order the landing gear suports from B&B right away.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:07 PM
sbaugz

Good idea getting the Bennett gear braces right away. I would definately recommend them to save your props.

You can't go wrong with the ZDZ40. Excellent power, easy to run, and lightweight. That is what I have in mine. The Waco instruction manual shows this motor installed on Kangke's test plane. The only "hacking" of the cowl was on the bottom for the cylinder head and is pretty minimal. You cannot see this at all from the side of the plane. It does not detract whatsoever from the looks. Vertical is unlimited.

I considered putting a saito 300 in mine when I was building it but that would have required alot more finesse as far as fitting the heads inside the cowl. The other reason I stuck with gas is that a smaller fuel tank can be used. If you go nitro, you will have to put a rather large tank in there.

Other good options for gas would be the RCS180 on the small end of the range or the DA50 on the larger end of the range. The DA50 is an awesome engine- very lightweight, very powerful, and looks incredible, but,,,,, its expensive. The brisson 2.4 would work too and you may be able to get a nice combo deal from your local dealer by buying these together since Kangke distributes them. The Brisson definately won't have as much power as the DA or ZDZ though.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:03 AM
BULL-RCU

The zdz 40 offers side and rear mount muffler... I see how one of the guys did his with the rear mount... Did anyone use the side mount?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:26 AM
sbaugz

Mine has the side muffler mount, rear carb. I used the supersonic smoke muffler from RCS and it works great. There are three important keys to mounting this same combo.

1) you cannot mount the engine exactly inverted with this combo (say 12 and 6 o'clock position). You have to rotate slightly to about 1 and 7 o'clock to get the muffler to fit.

2) the rear carb ZDZ requires cutting a pretty sizable chunk of the firewall away so the carb can extend inside the fuselage. Don't worry, even though it looks like you took half the firewall away, it will be okay.

3) you need to use standoffs to get the proper engine/cowl spacing. I used hardware store cable ferrules. They fit just right and I did not have to modify them at all. I can't remember the exact length of them but I can tell you if you are interested.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:17 PM
ramduster

I would like to know how hard it is to put the wings together at the field and if any one is having problems with the bolts coming lose after flying or bolt holes wearing out over time.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:30 PM
sbaugz

I have not had problems with the bolts coming undone yet.
I have not flown this plane alot because it is kind of a pain to assemble and transport. That is definately one of the drawbacks in my opinion of this plane. Barely fits in my jeep with the back seats down and the front seats pushed all the way forward. The top wing is very long and barely fits.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:10 AM
BULL-RCU

I know this is not the Kangke waco, but my best friend is buuilding a PICA Waco and it is coming along great... Just thought I would share a couple photos. Can't wait till my Kangke Waco comes and I get started on it.

Name:	Jh15613.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	225936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21048.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	225937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93255.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	225938  
Old 02-08-2005, 06:13 PM
BULL-RCU

If someone gets the chance please let me know the dimentions of the cock pit area for a pilot. I'm looking to put in a perfect pilot figure if it's larcge enough.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:00 PM
sbaugz

The width of the pilot should be 3 inches or less. You don't want the height much more than 3 inches either, otherwise the head will be above the windshield. Hope this helps. Steve
Old 02-13-2005, 10:45 PM
BULL-RCU

I was thinking about using the MVVS 35cc gas New one coming... Anyone heard good / bad about them? Weight is ok and power is very good for sz.

Thanks Lee

Here is a couple extra pic of what I do for winter flying... Upstate NY Wind / Snow... Gotta find somewhere to fly indoors. LOL talk about slow fly byes... I fly at all the AMERKS Hockey Games... Fun Fun

Name:	Wu61708.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	229083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36249.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	229084  
Old 02-14-2005, 07:08 AM
sbaugz

Cool!!
Old 02-14-2005, 12:37 PM
ramduster

I got my waco last Friday and man dose this plane look good and my us41 will fit nicely so I will keep you guys posted about the build and the flying.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Birddog-RCU

Flew mine again Saturday and had a great time. I am however still having problems with incidence. I'm going to add some down thrust as it keep climbing at anything above 1/2 throttle. I'm running a ZDZ 40 by the way. It is a very easy bi-plane to fly and has a great presence in the air not to mention it's an eye catcher at the field.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:07 AM
BULL-RCU

OK guys... I'm going crazy here... My Waco will finally be here this next week... I am going crazy deciding on which motor to use. I want to keep the weight down because I want to add smoke. Right now I'm looking at MVVS 35cc / Brison 2.4 or 3.2 / BME 44 or 50 / zdz 40. Really kinda short on cash and would love to just order the zdz but aaaagggggggg the money... Really just watching for a like new something... Any reson to not chose one of the above... MVVS is the heaviest I know. I know the specs on them all but really just wantig to hear what you guys have to say after fling fo a while with them... Handleing things like that... I know zdz does it all...
Old 02-20-2005, 12:20 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

RC Showcase sells combo kits with Kangke ARF's and ZDZ engines at good prices. Go to www.rcshowcase.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.