Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kangke Waco Biplane

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kangke Waco Biplane

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:48 PM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kangke Waco Biplane

I have to believe you are right on the money. There are two flying at my field right now with 160's Plenty of power but not enough:-))

Stan
Old 04-17-2005, 11:33 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: l.wilber

Man oh man is that a sexy airplane. Maybe offer some different colors or even ARC. I wish there were more ARC's out there. I don't like my plane looking like the other members... but I don't have time to build. You choose your favorite covering and cover as you like.
I baught the cream colored one and going to paint or cover it different then the rest to make mine different. been to busy to work on it but will start it next week. I have a Brison 2.4 gas coming for mine.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:16 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I took my WACO out today, it's powered with a Saito FA170-R3. The engine is perfect for the plane, and the plane can be flown by anyone that can fly a Sig Kadet. At 15 pounds this plane flys like a very light plane, being a bipe when you cut the power it comes down, but it can be slowed to a crawl. I have two servos in the bottom wing, 90oz, driving the top ailerons with slave rods, great roll rate, way more than is need for "realistic" flight. The rudder is very powerfull, great wing overs and knife edge flight. I wish I had put a bigger tank than the 20 oz. one I have in it, the Saito sucks it dry in about 10 minutes, even though I'm flying it at about half throttle most of the time, at full throttle the plane will hover, but if I wanted to hover I'd fly a heli. I found the LG to be fine, not too springy or stiff, I have no extra bracing on it.

I LOVE MY WACO!
Old 05-05-2005, 06:01 AM
AJT

I have four flights on mine as of yesterday. This plane is outstanding . Does everything I have asked of it. Great knife edge, Four points, inverted, rolls, spins, ect. ect. and lands slow. What more could you ask for ? I'm very happy with this airplane. As soon as I get more stick time I'm gonna really ring this plane out. Harris smoke system bellows out smoke like crazy. 20oz tank lasts about 4min continious. Off and on will last the whole flight. I'm using the stock tank for Gas. Hitec digitals on everything except throttle. TAURUS 3.2 for power . And the vertical is OUTSTANDING. Weight is 16.5 lbs dry. I'm sure this plane will hover at less then 1/2 throttle. I have used the B&B set up for the landing gear (a must). And I'm running a BELIA 22/8 carbon prop. 6800 rpm's pulls like a tractor. Forward speed is NOT overbearing with this prop. I did try a few other props but the BELIA won out. I did realise that any prop I tried that had 7000rpm's or greated did NOT fly the airplane as well as the power props. And I tried a few!!
Happy flying to all.
AL.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Rich,

We must be connected mentally.

Same set up as yours except for 4 servos in wing, Saito 170 Radial and.....the car is packed and I'm on my way to the field for the maiden. Thanks for the encouragement!!!!!

Bob
Old 05-05-2005, 08:14 AM
soarrich

Bob
BTW, mine flew with no trim adjustments.
Rich
Old 05-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Meesh

Bad news Rich,

Had to do a go around on the first landing but the engine had dropped a cylinder. Throttled up and tried to climb but stalled the plane. Kicked over to the left and nosed in. It's banged up pretty good but its repairable. ent both wing tubes. The top of the fuse is toast, plywood formers behind the firewall are broken, had battery packs zip tied to them. Gear plate got ripped out along with the lower wing bolt plate. Stringers behind the cockpit are broken.

[:@][:'(]
Old 05-05-2005, 09:30 PM
soarrich

Bummer On the good side you can have it any color you want now. I hope you didn't damage the R3.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Meesh

Rich

I lucked out. Our flying field is just that, a big field, and the ground is pretty soft this time of year.

Bob
Old 07-04-2005, 10:47 AM
BULL-RCU

I baught the Beige Waco way back and been so busy haven't had time to finish it yet... Just finised the Paint... Painted Chocolet Brown Trim / edged with Gold Trim 3M tape... ( showed it to a couple friends and they were suprised how well the paint job came out.) If any of you decide to paint with Latex look it up here on RCU, there is a guy who gives exact mesurments for mixing the paint / FLowtrou / and water ... Paint went on perfect! I have a Brisen 2.4 40cc gas to put on it. With the pits wrap around pipe. Any sugestions of mounting the motor... ( did any of you use Vibration dampening mounts).

Saw the red and silver Waco at an Funfly airshow this weekend guy didn't fly it... Made want to get mine done. Will be finished hopfully next week...

Any problems you guys had or tips fill me in....

I've read the thread but it's long... LOL easier to be lazy and say HELP!!!

Later All!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:03 PM
ramduster
My Feedback: (2)

Thought I would post some pictures of my waco it has a us 41 in it and flys just great I am having so much fun with this plane that I can hardly wait to fly it again
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24549.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	294125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25024.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	294126  
Old 07-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Meesh

Well, unfortunately, mine is still being repaired after my maiden mishap. Too many projects, too little time!

Bob

Old 07-08-2005, 09:07 PM
BULL-RCU

I'm using a Brison 2.4 40cc gas engine... What did you guys use for engine standoffs... I'm almost ready but I have to use between 1/2" - 1" offset to get it out far enough. Looking of line but want something easy to use. Thought about ply as last option is someting else is'nt better... Any sugestions?

Thanks Lee
Old 07-08-2005, 10:52 PM
soarrich

Mine with a 170R3 didn't need anything for a stand off. You know you use the cowl to adjust for engine length? The cowl is constant size and can be moved for and aft for adjusting for different engine lengths
Old 07-09-2005, 10:10 AM
FenceMagnet

How tolerant is this plane of HEAVY engines? I'll NEVER fly 3D, just standard aerobatics.... I have a SuperTigre 4500 that needs a home.... it's been converted to gas and all-up (mount, muffler, ignition) weighs about 4.5 maybe 5 lbs....

[:-]
Old 07-09-2005, 06:21 PM
ramduster

My waco has a us 41cc and flys just fine as a matter of fact I had to put some weight up front to get to balance.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:17 PM
BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: soarrich

Mine with a 170R3 didn't need anything for a stand off. You know you use the cowl to adjust for engine length? The cowl is constant size and can be moved for and aft for adjusting for different engine lengths

I am using a Brison 2.4 with a pitts muffler so I need it forward a bit for the pipe to clear. I did some searcing on RCUniverce and found that most are using 1 1/4 in OAK Dowels cut and drilled to length.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:22 AM
FenceMagnet

"My waco has a us 41cc and flys just fine as a matter of fact I had to put some weight up front to get to balance."

What's the all-up weight of your US41 and how much does your completed plane weigh?

[:-]
Old 07-13-2005, 05:53 PM
BULL-RCU

Just trying to finish up my WACO... I have one of the early kits ... NO Instructions. I downloaded them from the net. Most is done... found all the holes for mounting things, but what screws did you use to hold the Wings to the struts? Silly but can't tell by my instructions... Wood screws look too small... Black ones wont work unless their is a threaded peice inside... Aaagggggggggggg Help... Thanks...
Old 07-13-2005, 07:03 PM
ramduster

The weight of my waco is 17 lbs and flies great not 3D mind you but good enough for me
Old 07-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Meesh

Bull,

There are blind nuts in the wings for the strut bolts. You should have a bunch of 3mm (120") diameter ones about 5/8" long. (Approx.). They look like 4-40 capscrews but the threads are finer.

Bob
Old 07-16-2005, 07:35 AM
BULL-RCU

After sitting in my closet since last Augest Finally got started the Waco and it's finally getting to the last steps. Wings are painted. Wing servos installed. Pull / Pull installed. Brison 2.4 is mounted / Bisson Pitts muffler mounted. Only had to trim down the botttom of the fire wall 1/4" to get the pitts muffler to fit. Covered the area where muffler sits with aluminum shielding. Used oak dowels for stand offs on the engine. Trimed the cowl. Only thing left is puting the B&B reenforcment on the landing gear ( I had the 1/4" but the Wire seemed so big decided to order the 3/8 version will be here Monday or Tuesday ( trying to keep weight down). Bolt on the wngs... Mount the wind sheild. Recheck & LOCK TIGHT EVERYTHING!!! Then Zoom zoom zoom.....

Don't have smoke yet... Really want to add it, but funds are short so hoping next month I can get a system.

Almost there and sooooooo far to go.... LOL
Old 07-19-2005, 06:45 PM
BULL-RCU

Couple pics of my Waco... Since the pics I have all the struts done... All harware done. Landing gear done including B & B reenforsments. I still have to mount the wheels & pants. Paint inside of pilot area. Mount pilot. Snoopy Head! Go back through Lock tight everything... Balance and set throws.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11340.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	299231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81729.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	299232  
Old 07-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Sad to hear that Jimmy Franklin was killed in an airshow accident July 10. My Waco done up in his markings will keep on flying in his honor. We'll miss you Jimmy.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:27 PM
BULL-RCU

Finally after soooooo much time... got my first flights on my WACO... Absolutilly GREAT.... Need a few clicks of Down elavator but other then that was perfect. I need to change the wing incidence and put just a little more neg in it. Very please with this plane. Take offs were some of the smothest I've ever done. landings were just as nice... Love the Brison 2.4 works well with this plane. Got six flights on it Thursday and will get a few more tonight... After flying a bunch were over taking a look... I built the beige one and painted it so most didn't know what it was. Ohhhhh soooooooo nice...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.