Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kangke Waco Biplane

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kangke Waco Biplane

Old 11-22-2005, 04:09 PM
mga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kangke Waco Biplane

I read the review, and in his summary says, he like the no epoxy wing, meaning I guess the no glueing to join the two halves. Is this strong enough. thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 04:48 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

i did not glue mine together.
its been a long time since I built it, but if memory serves me correctly, the instructions tell you you don't need to glue them.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:36 PM
bluehawkbm

No glue nessecary per the instructions. Haven't finished mine yet, but do have the wings ready
Old 11-22-2005, 05:55 PM
mga

With your kits, did you get the new L brackets, the one with the slot in them, rather than just the holes for the two bolts. mine has one hole and a slot.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I didn't glue mine!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:37 PM
mga

did any get the new L brackets with the long slot. when installed it goes way past the front of the M bracket where it is bolted down. Have any of you had this problem.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:29 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: mga

I just got my Waco kit by Kangke and it is beautiful. I am in the process of finding all the holes for the screws in the wing. By the way, did all of you who build this ARF glue the wing halves, it is a shame, that it has to be glued. Which glue did you use, just CA or 30 minute epoxy.
Thanks
Use epoxy... or garilla glue. I used garilla glue on my Ultimate because they say it's lighter... Also when you go to put in the screws for the alerons some will be long or at least mine were and I had to cut them down with a dremel.

As far as the video goes a friend of mine took one but hasen't sent it to me yet... He is working out of state right now and hasn't had much time... Mine won't be a 3d video... It will be more scale Waco flying...
Old 11-22-2005, 11:29 PM
mga

Hi, thanks, for the comeback, So you have also a Waco, and an Ultimate, but it sounds like you used the glue on the Ultimate only, or did you joing the wings on the Waco with glue, gorilla in your case. Re Gorilla glue I like it for the Robarts hinges, as it expands, but for joining a wing I would be afraid of the expansion. Also the ones that flew the Waco with a Gas engine, did you use the CA hinges, or did you switch to the Robarts. I switched on my Great Planes Stearman to Robarts on all but the Rudder, and after 300 flights , the rudder ca hinges came almost apart, I noticed on landing the stearing was doing something funny, and I went to look and the rudder was about a 1/4 inch or more away from the fin, yet all the Robarts hinges on the elevator and ailorons are still like the day I put them in. I am still flying the stearman, great plane, and that is why I have gone to the Waco, supposed to be even a better flyer and a little bigger. Thanks for the response
Old 11-22-2005, 11:56 PM
BULL-RCU

I did not use the CA hinges. I know tons of people who do, but I still don't trust them. I used 1/4 scale pinned hinges. I used 30 min epoxy on my WACO. My Ultimate is the first time I tried the Garilla Glue... It worked great but it was different to use. I used a 2.4 Brison gas on mine. I love the plane it is very aerobatic. I would say it has more then a pitts and less then an Ultimate for aerobatics. It is very smooth in the air and looks very nice. I think more are using the zdz or da 50

It is a very easy plane to fly .... Land ect.... You will love it!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60267.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	358970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72009.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	358971  
Old 11-23-2005, 08:10 AM
mga

Thanks, that is one pretty plane, I tried to order the beige one, but they are not selling it anymore or not available at this time.. Would you have any pics of close ups of the wiring from your servos in the upper wing to the fuse. How did you pass your wiring on the M struts. I will be using an FPE 40cc, the one that is in my Stearman, which weighs about 16lbs. And it pulls it like crazy. So I guess with gas, the recommendation not to glue the half wings together would not be recommended. This is what I figured also, with all that vibration of a gas engine. What weight did yours end up. Also are your L brackets the ones with the slots. If not, would you know the reason why they would of gone that way. Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get it right, and all the help I can get would help, and is greatly appreciated.
I fly out of Montreal, and we fly all year round. As we just had our first snow, I will be putting skiis on the Stearman. I do not fly my pattern ship, till the competitive season. So winter is relaxed time to fly. I attached a few pics, of the stearman, and my Edge 540 with a FPE 52cc and that is me in the late 60's with my pattern ships, the Cutlass with Webra 60

Name:	Ax72972.jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	359119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31778.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	359120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85759.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	359121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66298.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	359122  
Old 11-23-2005, 04:44 PM
bluehawkbm

My kit did come with the slotted brackets. I found these to be very helpful for adjusting the incidence on the top wing.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:58 PM
BULL-RCU

The L brackets with the slots are for adjusting the top wing incidence. Even with the slots I still had to put a small square peice of wood under the bracket to get the right incidence. If you have a meter check it when you are done. I had too much positive in mine and it wanted to climb or I had to put down trim to make it fly level. Thinking back I didn't glue the top wing I just used the bracket to hold it. I did use Blue lock tight on all my screws and red on the engine. I used hard wood dowels to offset my motor... Was easy to cut it and get the off set angle needed and used washers to get the depth.

Your First place engine will work great in the plane. If you know how or it is taped I would add smoke to your plane it makes the plane look incredable when doing scale flights with large loops ... hammer heads... Low passes... I used a B&B smoke system and it works flawless...

The wiring on the m sturts I just put tape arond them... I did the same on my DR-1. If your struts are red use Red electic tape works great and blends in real well. Wish I knew a way to hid the wires...

As far as the weight goes I never weighed it but I figure it must be around 15-16 lbs... Hads down my faverite plane right now...

I painted mine with latex house paint... Was very pleased with the outcome...

Good luck...

Great pics... send me some of your build...

Old 11-23-2005, 06:52 PM
mga

Thanks, great Help.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:22 AM
kev71h

Any video of this baby in the air yet????
Old 11-26-2005, 01:04 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone used a 50cc engine on this airframe? I wonder if that would be to much for this airframe to handle?
Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Stan
Old 11-26-2005, 08:14 AM
BULL-RCU

I think it would be too much.... 50cc More the weight then anything.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:16 AM
tucson

Thanks Bull,

Chief has a special with a DA 50. I like the power to weight ratio, but am concerned about the fuse handling it. I have the kit and am trying to decide on which gas engine. The First Place 2.4 looks good. I like the light weight(3 lbs with everything).
They are offering it with a C&H ignition as a option. I wonder if that would make a difference?
Anyone out there using that combo?

Thanks,
Stan
Old 11-26-2005, 11:15 AM
mga

Re, the FPE 40, I am using that on my nnew Kangke Waco, I am still in the building process, but why I know it will work well, is that I have that engine right now on my Great Planes Stearman, which was not made for this engine. I have over 3 or 400 flights on it, and today I am going out with it on skiis. I have included a pic, of the Cowling as it is almost the same size as the Waco. So lots of room. The engine has over 700 flights and it is running like the day I bought it. smooth and reliable. That is all I want. Even re power compared to a DA, they are very close in power and the engine is very light. The prop in the picture has over 200 flights, as you can see the paint is coming off. I can't wait for spring to try the Waco.

Name:	Nl29350.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	360499  
Old 11-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

I saw a Kangke Waco with an FPE 2.4 on it last year at the West Coast Festival Castle AFB and it tore up the sky. I have a ZDZ 40 on mine and I have to say that the FPE easily out performed my setup. I would stay within the 2.4 range for the highest flying satisfaction. The DA 50, although a fine engine, is just too much.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:21 PM
tucson

Quebec and UT sound cold right now. Come on down to sunny Tucson<G>. I used to live in cold country so I can appreciate your feelings.

I am going to order a 2.4 FPE tomorow. I just don't know which electronic ignition to go with. C&H or their basic. I will call sig in the morning and see what they say.

Thanks for your input.

Stan
Old 11-26-2005, 06:21 PM
BULL-RCU

I have the C&H on my Brison and it works great...
Old 11-26-2005, 09:39 PM
mga

Go with the one that comes with the engine, that is the one I have. We had a great day of flying today.Engine ran well, was nice to see the take off with all the snow blowing away when it lifted off. you can even see that my pilots hair got frozen. he has steel wool hair, and I guess the snow just stuck to it, but it is funny to see. All you guys in the warm weather, you do not know what your missing. more lift, no overheating of engines, and thinking how nice it would be to be on a beach. You can't do that.

Name:	By76634.jpg
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	360741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23696.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	360742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99106.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	360743  
Old 11-26-2005, 11:47 PM
tucson

Bull, Unbelievable pictures. Today was low 70's here in Tucson. I also have the Same Stearman as you do. I have a Zenoa 26 in mine. I also have several hundred flights on mine. It also has smoke.

I am starting my Waco now, and will order the 2.4 FPE Monday. The 26 would not have enough power for me in the Waco.

In our club there are about 5 Stearman flying. I printed your pictures and will bring them to the field tomorow. It will be a big hit<G>

I was in QC two years ago in the summer. Beautiful place.

Take care,
Stan
Old 11-27-2005, 08:24 AM
mga

If ever here in Montreal, and you bring a plane, email me and you will be welcomed to come and fly at our field. Glad you enjoyed the pics. We are going out today again, and it looks like a nice day. about 30 degrees.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:48 PM
BULL-RCU

Great pics MGA... Your stearman against the snow looks great! I live in Rochester NY right off Lake Ontario and we get tons of snow. Do you like Skis or floats better for snow? Most like floats better here. Whats your opinion...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.