Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kangke Waco Biplane

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kangke Waco Biplane

Old 04-08-2011, 06:32 PM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kangke Waco Biplane

I'm just starting the build of mine and was wondering if anyone might have a set of the CF gear for this plane they may want to get rid of or know where a set can be had? As of right now I'm leaning towards the DLE-30 and 645's all around. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

The DLE 30 is a fine engine but I don't think you'll be pleased with this combination. I run a ZDZ 40 and that would not want anything less.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:10 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Moki 210
Old 04-09-2011, 05:19 PM
stangevil29

I wouldn't mind trying a ZDZ40 but, I really want to stay with engines that have single bolt hub's (I dont have a drill press)and use CM-6 plugs(less things I have to keep in stock and track of). My DLE-30 pulls my (15+ lb, 98") RC Guys Super Decathlon around very easily through any manuever I want it to and it's ready to run with a single bolt hub and muffler for around $350.00. I know, I know price shouldn't be the main selling point but, I think the DLE's are very good for everything you get. I also realize the Waco and S.D. are totally different planes but, I'm not looking for unlimited vertical. I just want it to do run of the mill manuevers. I had a Super Stearman with an OS 1.60 and loved the combo. It had massive drag and was pushing 15lbs also. I think the DLE-30 has almost identical performance as the 1.60 did. Just my .02.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 PM
y2k6vette

Alan,

Is it just me, or does the nose of this bird seem much longer than on the full-size Waco?

Steve
Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

It's not just you Steve. I believe it was designed longer to make it a more stable flyer. And fly well it does! Hey, I'll sell you mine and you can just drive on over and pick it up!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:41 PM
y2k6vette

It seemed that there must have been a reason for the elongation; and you answered that for me!
Thanks for your help.
Steve
Old 06-27-2011, 10:53 PM
apalsson

Finally got started on the Waco. So far, good progress.
This thread has been invaluable!
Powering with an MVVS40cc
B&E Graphix cut me some vinyl graphics for better scale looks
Old 07-16-2011, 08:34 PM
stangevil29

What kind of magic did you all peform to get the M struts to line with the top wing? When I fit the top wing to mine I swear I may have to either bend the ends of the struts or the slotted brackets to get them lined up. I have searched through all the photos and couldnt find one with enough detail. I will try to get a photo and post it for reference.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: stangevil29

What kind of magic did you all peform to get the M struts to line with the top wing?
Brute force, pretty much!
I also have issues getting the top wing to be negative against the bottom wing. The best the slots in the M struts allow me is +0.5 degrees.
Before I fly her, I will almost certainly put some 1/8" plywood under the rear brackets in the top wing.
Other than this, pretty happy. Everything is in except the receiver which I ordered and should have early in the week
Old 09-11-2011, 11:23 AM
stangevil29

Well, finally just about done with this build. I havent really been rushing to get it done since it has been 100+ degrees for about 2 months straight here. Just have to mount the cowl and add the gear stiffeners. Just roughly checking the CG at the top wing joiner strap(right at 4" behind the leading edge) It looks like I may have to add about a pound of lead to get it to balance.I have everything as far forward as possible also. The elevator servos are in the tail, the rudder servo is in the middle and everything else but the reciever is either under the M struts or forward.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:21 PM
apalsson

I'm surprised you have to carry that much nose weight.
Mine came down pretty much exact with an MVVS 40 and just a flex header instead of a muffler and I pushed the batteries right forward
Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 PM
stangevil29

I did add heavy duty connections to the tail but made CF pushrods. I also replaced the tail braces with lighter cables. I knew the DLE w/ muffler is light but dang! The ignition, kill switch, ign. battery, ign. switch and throttle servo are all in the far forward compartment. The rx battery and fuel tank are on under the M struts. I might have enough room to build a flat lead tray in the forward compartment ( This is where I had 2 wrenches and 6oz of lead to get the balance).

Have you flown yours yet?
Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 PM
apalsson

No, mine hasn't flown yet. I have been busy on other things but am hoping to fly mine in the next couple of weeks
Only area where I had issues (apart form poorly fitting N struts) was getting the top wing incidence down.
It's currently sitting at 0-0
Old 09-11-2011, 02:38 PM
stangevil29

Here's a couple of quick pics. I havent prettied up all the wires yet as you can see but, I still cant believe it would take that much weight to balance. I took the gear off right before taking these and the cowl only weighs a few ounces. I'm going to check the total weight on a scale that has a calibrated accuracy of +/- .01 mg so, I should know pretty darn accurately what it all comes out to be.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19315.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1660746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84685.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1660747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98663.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1660748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47469.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1660749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju14265.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1660750  
Old 10-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Anyone try an SPE 40 on theirs?

Bill S.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:26 PM
rstekeur

Hello all, Iknow this is somewhat of an old thread, but I just ordered a Kangke Waco and it's on the way. I've been reading through and tring to decide on the engine that I want to put iin it. I just got done building a H9 hellcat with a DLE20 so i'm somewhat familar with the DLE and they seem to be a good engine for the price.I've been looking at the DLE 35RA rear exhaust and Tower has them with the $30 discount and free shipping for $319.with the muffler included. Has anyone useda DLE 35 before and will it beenough for this plane? I really want a good flyer morethan a rocket. I know most people havebeen using 40cc motors on the Waco.Being this has been inactive for a while, is there anyone still flying their Waco. I know I'll have a fair amount of questions during the build.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:39 PM
railfly

Have flown mine for about two years with a zdz 40 I was told the DLE 30 is more powerful by a person who works in the tech department at an unnamed dealer. I Think the DLE 35 rear exhaust would be perfect for it. I bought an aluminum landing gear from TnT to replace the original tried the b&b stiffener route did not work properly. Everything is under the cabanes and forward. Elevator servos in rear rudder servo in regular spot. Four wing servos and one for throttle and choke. Ignition and battery on firefwall. Use fromeco batteries and regulators. You could elimnate one servo for choke with a kill switch and make the choke manual. I put plywood shims on the rear strut connections to get the 1 degree down angle on the top wing all four connections, shaped them like the strut holdowns look fine. be sure and coat the forward compartment with fiberglass cloth and epoxy or resin the forward portion of the plane is very weak. I had trouble with the tailwheel coming loose and replaced it with a leaf spring type medium sized unit like the ones from ohio model products. The plane flies great with no weight added to the nose the added incidence in the top wing makes for no elevator trim when inverted. Like someone said before you will have to reiron the covering every once in a while.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 PM
rstekeur

Thanks for the replyrailfly. It looks like the zdz40 and the dle 35are just about the same as far as weight and HP.I couldn't really find any serious complaints with the waco except for the landing gear and adjusting the incidence. Are you still flying yours, and overall what do you think of it? I really wasn't looking for another plane, but it was a deal at $275 so I coun't pass it up. I found TNT's website but I didn't see any for Kangke, which gear did you get?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 PM
railfly

I sent the measurements from the original to tnt they provide a schematic you can fill in with the measurements. The plane flies great will do all the imac and other maneuvers a little short on power for 3D. Do not omit the strengthening of the nose should have had 1/4 inch plywood instead of 1/8 for the stringers running through the firewall to the first former. Even that is not enough considering the leverage forward of the firewall with the tork of the engine. $275 is a fair price considering they want over $500.00 for a new one. You won't have any problem with the nose as long as you don't make hard contact with the ground with the nose,like tearing off the landing gear. Ive torn the nose off and never broke the prop image that.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 PM
JL1

Moki 210 glow, lots of power, no ignition battery, less vibration, no nitro fuel, lighter weight, no extra switches, less chance of ignition interference. Been flying mine for 4 years. Great plane
Old 12-17-2012, 04:50 AM
rstekeur

JL1, have you had a Moki120 in that for the last 4 years? I've been out of the hobby for the last 6-7 years and this is the first time I've heard of FAI fuel. Do you buy this fuel or do you have to mix it yourself? From what I can find out, it's 80% Alcohol, 20% Castor Oil
Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 AM
JL1

rstekeur, Yes, I have had the Moki in the the Waco for 4 years. FAI fuel is as you describe, oil and Methanol only with no Nitro. You do need to use a "hot" plug, I use an OS "F".
I mix the fuel myself but you can buy it from fuel suppliers. In my case the oil is Klotz and, unfortunately it isn't cheap, but I have used it for many years including racing Karts with good results. I am sure there are other oils but I just stick with what works.
I have Moki's in many planes but be advised, they are thirsty little fellows and do leave quite a bit of oil on the belly of the plane.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

the only reason I am thinking of using the SPE 40 is that I already have the engine. not looking for 3D type flying as its not that type of plane. Just didn't want to spend more $$ on another engine if I didn't have to.

I am slowly migrating to more gas engines anyway. My only other choice would be a four stroke on glow, but while I love the sound, $30 a gallon for fuel vs. $4 and the gas wins again. Though the new 38 CC four stroke gasser that came out looks interesting!

I have not seen any posts on upgrades for the Waco, so I would love to her more about changes that were made. So far in the last few posts, mentioned are landing gear upgrades, upgrading something in the nose and wing incidences.

I had done a search for info a while back and came up empty...

I have an early kit too, pre-ordered at the WRAM show when it was first released!

nice to see the thread isn't dead!!

Thanks,
Bill S.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 AM
rstekeur

Bill, is your your waco already finished or is it yet to be built? I needed another plane like I need a hole in the head, but the price was right and it did look so nice, If I don't go gas, it will probably be a 4 stroke nitro, but I'm still leaning towards a DLE 35ra. I like the idea of of $3.25 a gallon for gas and being able to get fuel anywhere, although I realize gas engines present there own unique problem such as extra weight, battery, switches, and rf interference. I have a DLE in a H9 Hellcat I just finished, but I haven't maidened yet. I made sure I kept the ignition batteries and switches as far apart from the RX and rx battery as possible and didn't use metal rods for the choke and throttle. The landing gear, Incidence adj, and as railfly mentioned, reinforcing the nose is the only problems I've been able to find reading through this post. I havent found much besides this thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.