Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

kangke (super kraft) sukhoi?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

kangke (super kraft) sukhoi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 07:48 AM
dmsick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kangke (super kraft) sukhoi?

I saw a super kraft sukhoi in my LHS yesterday. Has anyone ever heard if this thing? It's not on the kangke website, and I have never seen one mentioned on RCU before. I think it was 120 size but I don't remember for certain. I'd love to know anyones experience with this plane.
Dave
Old 10-04-2003, 08:38 AM
OVER WORKED

Default RE: kangke (super kraft) sukhoi?

The Kangke Sukhoi was a 120 size plane. It was well built and a very good flier. A total of around 40 were made before we stopped production. The design called for the cooling louvers to be molded into the fiberglass cowl, and almost every one of them chipped around the opening. We tried a couple of different techniques but never got it to the standards set by the company. The kits were sent to our distributors at a discount and all were aware of the problem. If you can live with the chips, it's a real nice plane.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:53 AM
bentgear

God, this is so hard to believe. A good, honest response from a manufacturer about something that was a screw up and got dropped. Please keep it up. Who knows, maybe a few more will take notice and start doing the same thing.

Say hello to James for me, I have noticed that he is the same way when I call it to ask him about something.

Thanks,
Ed M.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:05 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

I would like one of these planes if there are any more around.
Tim
Old 10-04-2003, 10:23 AM
dmsick

over worked,
thanks alot for the fast reply. What is the 3d potential of this plane? I'm going to buy it today.
thanks again
Dave
Old 10-04-2003, 11:21 AM
OVER WORKED

dmsick, to be honest I don't know what the 3-D potential is, I did not do the test work on the plane. From the proportions I would say that it will be good to excellent if you don't make it too heavy. The size of the elevator and it's moment should make it very positive in pitch authority, it has a ton of aileron so I don't think it will lack in roll rate, the airfoil is 14.5% with a relatively blunt leading edge so stall and slow flight should be good, the shape of the rudder and the amount below the datum would lead me to believe that there will be some roll coupling in knife edge but it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:24 AM
dmsick

One more thing. I'm thinking Saito 180. Do you think I'll need that much engine for truly unlimited vertical. Thanks again.
Dave
Old 10-04-2003, 04:45 PM
rockmon

We were able to get ahold of two of them and they were very nice looking planes and as with all Kangke planes the quality was excellent. It was very refreshing to know there was a company out there that would reject a product for such a minor problem. One had an O.S. 1.20 and flew ok but needed a little more oomph, the other had a Saito 1.50 and was just about right power wise but the 1.50 made it a little heavy. Both planes are history now for the exact same reason, the motor flamed out at low altitude and both tip stalled and went in. Strangest thing, both planes did exactly the same thing in almost the same spot on the field, motor quit, both pilots tried to turn and make it to the field, both stalled in the turn and went in. One is being rebuilt, the other would have fit in a cigar box. If I could get ahold of one I would buy it in a heart beat and would put a good reliable strong running two stroke 1.20 in it for power or maybe a Webra 1.35.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:18 PM
dmsick

Thanks for the info rockmon. I'm getting more excited about this plane.
The Saito 180 weighs the same as the 150. The OS is a little heavier at 32 ounces vs. 30 for the Saito (both with mufflers). The big 2 cycles tend to be heavier than a comparable 4 cycle. It seems to me like the 180 might be the ticket.
Dave
Old 10-05-2003, 03:29 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

The guys at Kangke rock! I bought a Tiger Shark 91 and james was very helpful to me when I needed help tuning it. Good people, great product.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:06 AM
dmsick

Over worked,
I was looking at your website and noticed that the Brison 2.4 is the recommended engine for the 120 sized cap. Is this also true for the Sukhoi? I'd love to go gas but I'm thinking the Sukhoi was a little smaller. I'm picking the plane and servos up tomorrow and I'd like to decide on an engine asap.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-05-2003, 12:49 PM
rockmon

I think any gasser would be to heavy for this Sukhoi, it's not a very big plane for a 1.20, just the opposite of most of the Super Kraft planes.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:51 PM
dmsick

I think you're right. I remember the plane seemed like a smaller 120. I'm leaning towards the 180 but I'm not 100%. I'm still considering a big 2 stroke. I want to make sure I have enough power in reserve.
Dave
Old 10-06-2003, 08:00 AM
OVER WORKED

dmsick, the Sukoi was never intended for gas engines. I think the Saito 150 or 180 would be a good choice as would the larger 2 strokes from OS, Moki and others.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:47 PM
dmsick

Ray ,
I picked up the plane this afternoon. WOW..this thing is beautiful. There are 2 small chips on the cowl. They're not even big enough that I would try to fix them. All of the quality looks outstanding. Only one problem..no manual. I understand one was not produced. This will be my 7th arf so I have a clue as to how to go about it. Certain details would be nice. Is anything available in the way of instructions? Is it similar to any of your other planes so that I could use that manual?
By the way, I went with a YS 120, I hope it's enough.
Dave
Old 10-06-2003, 06:58 PM
OVER WORKED

Sorry, because the plane never made to mass production no manual was ever written.
Assembly is straight forward, so it shouldn't be a problem.
C.G. should be 26%-30% MAC.
According to my notes the control throws were:
Ail 1/2-inch+-
Elevator 3/4+-
Rudder 1 1/8 RL
I don't know if thats the where it should be as I never flew the plane, but it's the predicted starting point.
Wish I could be more help, I haven't even seen one in about a year.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:14 PM
dmsick

The control throws are actually a huge help.
Thanks for all the prompt and honest responses. This is my first experience with Kangke and so far I am truly impressed.
Thanks
Dave