Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Ultra Stik .40 with Crow/Butterfly

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 Ultra Stik .40 with Crow/Butterfly

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 09:56 PM
tlroliff
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Ultra Stik .40 with Crow/Butterfly

I am finishing up one of these models and am not sure about the Crow/Butterfly mode they describe in the radio set up section. I built it with ailerons and flaps and the instructions describe programming the Futaba 8U radio in the glider mode. They don't really talk about the relationship of throttle to the surface deflections in "Crow/Butterly" mode. Anyone got any insight into this?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:13 AM
psk560
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Hanger 9 Ultra Stik .40 with Crow/Butterfly

I have the 9cap but when the throttle is at max, the flaps and ailerons are not deflected with the crow switch on. As you bring the throttle back to idle the ailerons and flaps deflect more. At idle they are at max deflection.

Hope this helps.
craig
Old 10-06-2003, 06:00 AM
polstery

You do nothing with the throttle, is should be working as normal with the crow on.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:04 AM
tlroliff

As psk560 noted, the throttle position does have an effect on the amount of deflection when Crow is active. I don't see any way to change that and they don't say anything in the Hanger 9 manual about where to set the throttle when programming the deflection amounts. I assume then their recomended throws are with the throttle stick all the way down?
Old 10-06-2003, 08:33 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with polstery and tlroliff....you shouldn't mix the crow or butterfly with the throttle, as you'll be using varying amounts of throttle for different manuevers with the crow/butterfly activated.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:58 AM
tlroliff

Exactly, and that is my basic question I guess...is there some way to just have crow active at a set amount of surface deflection by flipping a switch and not mixing it with throttle?
Old 10-06-2003, 12:11 PM
glowplug

tlroliff, I got it to work with my 6XAS, but I need to hit 2 switches to turn if off and on.....not sure about the 8U...
Old 10-07-2003, 12:28 AM
smitymax

If you follow the programming that comes with the instruction manual for the Futaba 8uafs, it works fine using the GliderII mode as they suggest. the Throttle should have not effect on the "crow" deployment, just switch A turn "crow" on and off and the amount of deflections is determined in the setup.
You cannot program the 9C the same way as the 8U. Go to Futaba website(futaba.com) and their FAQ listing under the 9U and there they give the proceedure for setting up "crow" with the 9C. Hope this helps.
They also give proceedure for setting up flaps on the slider switch on the side so that you can have adjustable flaps...slider all way up, flaps up and flaps proportional to amount slider down.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:12 AM
polstery

Just turn off the mix
Old 10-07-2003, 09:55 AM
tlroliff

I don't know..obviously I am missing something. I will need to play with it some more I guess. Part of the goal w/building this model was to learn more about programming the 8U...guess I am achieving my goal!! Thanks to everyone who replied so far.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

I have flown the 120 for 3 years with the crow connected to the throttle, with a Futaba 8 Super.
I have never been tempted nor wanted the crow on a switch seperate from the throttle because I like "bumping" the throttle during various crow manouvers, and when doing so I have much greater control over the plane. I also am able to switch the ailerons to link with the flaps, for full span, and again switch to flaperons linking flaps to elevator seperately.
I cannot say enough great things about the Fut programming available from GP, written BTW by Ann Marie Cross.

In fact I purchased the 8U just for the Ultra Stick, and am more than glad I did.
I now have all three USticks and would'nt trade a one, all with the same set up.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:01 PM
kingtight

I dont think you can turn off the throttle mix while in the gliderII mode.Try using the acro mode,you may disable the throttle but it wont be crow/butterfly.Get Don Edberg 8u programming book,it clearly explains simply how to program the 8u...........you will wonder how you got by without it.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:50 PM
canman

Go to Futaba's web site and click on the FAQ's
They have step by step programing for both the 8U and 9c using the Acro mode. I have both transmitters and their program works great on all three of my quad flap airplanes.

Dave