Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Edge 540T .40 size **New pixs and info**

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Edge 540T .40 size **New pixs and info**

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:03 PM
Condor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New <span class=

Since no one replied, I installed the engine (OS 50 SX) as far forward as possible -- the instructions say 111 mm from the back of the thrust washer to the firewall, I gave it 135 mm.

I've read there are issues with both the CG and the control throws specified in the manual. Any tips from people with experience flying this gorgeous plane?

Juan M. Villaveces
Old 02-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Condor

It feels strange talking to myself!

Can anybody help with control throws?

What about CG?

To program flaperons or not? Any other tx programming issues / suggestions?

TIA,

Juan M. Villaveces
Old 02-24-2004, 04:37 PM
RC Crasher

Default RE: New Edge 540T .40 size **New pixs and info**

I emailed Aeroworks about throws, CG and any know problems, here is their answer.

Ailerons: Low Rate - 3/8", High Rate - 3/4", 3D - 1 1/2"
Elevator: Low Rate - 1/2", High Rate - 3/4", 3D - 1 1/2"
Rudder: Low Rate - 3/4", High Rate - 1 1/2", 3D - Full Deflection

The dimension from front of firewall to front of cowl should be 4 ¾", mount your engine accordingly.

CG in the Instructions is correct. (Can't recall what it is)

As for fight, I have not made it to the field with mine....Crazy Schedule and BAD Weather. So I don't know how it really flys with these setting, could be set up for Failure. I did set mine up for flaperons, Airbrakes and other things. Remember, Altitude is your Friend.

Drew
Old 02-24-2004, 07:29 PM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

Has anyone weighed their Edge 540T .40 size from Aeroworks.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Condor

RC Crasher, Thanks for the info! I couldn't fly last Sunday, so I'm looking forward to maiden this coming weekend. Will post my results...
wingster, sorry but I haven't weighed it; I believe a few posts back in this thread is some discussion actual weights.

Cheers,

Juan M. Villaveces
Old 02-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Condor

RC Crasher, another question... I haven't run the engine with the cowl on yet, but I am concerned about cooling. Did you make extra provisions for air exit? BTW, what engine did you use?

Juan M. Villaveces
Old 02-26-2004, 03:41 PM
RC Crasher

Default RE: RE: New Edge 540T .40 size **New pixs and info**

No, didn't realy make any extra provisions for air exit. If I melt the cawl off the plane then I know I should have done more. GMS 76.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Condor

Today was the big day. I went to the field with the plane all completed, with a new gallon of fuel to break in the OS 50 and give the Edge her maiden flight. It was my intent all along to return home and post my impressions, as few people have posted about the Edge's flight performance.

Unfortunately, it was not to be. I made a newbie mistake by not checking the fuel tank installation and, of course, the fill (third) line was blocked -- the tube inside the tank is sealed against the tank. So, off comes the cowling, off comes the engine, the tube gets pulled forward, and I fuel her up. Finally, I managed to get a tankful through the engine, and then the heavens broke open. It rained HARD for almost an hour. After a second tankful through the engine I was about ready to continue breaking it in the air, but the fog came in.

I had to come home with my tail between my legs. I have another week to fiddle with the plumbing and get it right, and maybe finish breaking in the engine, but the Edge never left the ground.

So, I kept up my commitment of posting, even if all I have to tell is a non-event. Hopefully, I'll actually have something to relate next Sunday.

Cheers,

Juan M. Villaveces
Old 03-03-2004, 02:29 PM
kepople

ORIGINAL: RC Crasher

Kepople....NOSE HEAVY! Your the first I have seen say that about this plane. What kind of engine did you use Briggs and Stratton. But really, I have read a lot of posts about this plane and they all say tail heavy, this is why I went with a heavy .76 ...... Good luck on you maiden.

Drew
Okay, time to let the Kitty out of the Burlap.

Mine is Electric!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=162677

I have it setup with a Hacker B50 13s 6.7:1 15x10 prop on 16 2600 nimh cells.

I got a chance to maiden it last weekend. The power system is a good match. Plane took off in a few feet. I had the throws set way down incase the plane was more responsive than I was prepared for. Rolls were nice, I will tell more after running the throws back the recommended settings. Loops are huge at 1/2 throttle, climbs vertically with authority. High atlitude stall test showed it to mush straght ahead with a slight left wing drop.

"Zing..." what was that...I set up for a landing and notcied I had no power. The prop/spinner came off. I started down immediatly before I new what had come off, I thought it was the canopy. I came in hot, still not sure what was wrong, so started to go around and nothing. I had to land downwind in High grass, but there was no damage as it settled on 3 wheels like I did it on purpose.

Motor and everything check out fine, the numt just backed out. I will try another flight this weekend, but my initial results look promising.

I would prefer to set it up with a B50 10l but finacially thats not in the cards.

Kirby
Old 03-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Condor

Default Flight Performance

Finally!! Yesterday I was able to maiden my .40 AW Edge 540T. In short, I was delighted. The .OS 50 is plenty of engine for this plane. Even at our height of over 8000 ft ASL, the .50 with an APC 11/8 pulled the plane around with more than enough authority, and provided nearly unlimited vertical.

The first takeoff was uneventful. It took a little (I do mean a little) right rudder to keep it tracking straight, and once the tail was up the plane wanted to stay straight with almost no correction. I took off at about 3/4 throttle (the engine is still new, so I'm being gentle with it), in 50 feet or so. A little nudge of up when flying speed had clearly been established, and she took off on a shallow climb. Trimming was 2 clicks of right rudder and one click of down.

With the suggested control throws, aileron response, even at low rates, is a bit too brisk for my taste, so I ended dialing the low rates down to 75% while leaving the high rates (for now) as recommended. I know it's a cliché, but she really goes where you point her, and stays there. An inverted 360 circuit was accomplished with almost no down input, better described as occasional nudges when the nose dropped. Loops are big and round even at half throttle, with no perceived roll or yaw coupling. Rolls in both directions were very axial, although as I said, the initial roll rate was a bit excessive. I tried a couple of snap rolls and was pleased to have them stop as soon as the sticks are neutralized, and even tried a few uplines while rolling, and my impression was that at full throttle and with the needle valve set closer to optimum rather than on the rich side, she could keep it up forever; as it was, in 4 rolls she was out of steam. Stall turns came beautifully, with no pitch coupling either on the upline or the downline.

One of my concerns was whether there was adequate cooling for the engine. There was. No problems at all in that department. However, taking the cowl on and off several times to fix my initial plumbing mistakes resulted in 2 of the silicone grommets tearing apart, and this allows the cowling to vibrate severely around those now unprotected holes, so I will need to devise a way to replace those grommets.

The Edge is my first scale aerobatic plane -- up to know my flying had been sport models and some scale, but no Extras, Caps or anything of the sort. She's definitely my favorite plane for all around Sunday fun, and I intend to wear it out trying to see what I can learn with it. In the hands of a more capable flier, this plane is clearly contest material.

Cheers,

Juan M. Villaveces
Old 03-08-2004, 02:04 PM
RC Crasher

Finaly got mine up Sat. It flow Great. I only had one problem......My Lat. CG. was way off. I installed a .76 and never bothered to check the Lat. CG. When you pick it up from the noise and tail it falls fast and hard to one side. When flying the only time I noticed it was when doing loops, it would roll out quite a bit. Roll are smooth, vertical was unlimited and landings were a breeze. This is only my second plane so I realy cant compare it to much. But as far as I can tell Its Great.

Drew
Old 03-17-2004, 10:55 AM
RC Crasher

Pic's of my plane....Did not opt to put the stickers on. Dont realy care for sticker when you can see the clear part. Although I think that the pic's from Aeroworks that have them look great. I did take the time to cover the cockpit in black, I thought it would help to see it in the sky. I changed to spinner to black as well. I also had to cut a small hole in the cowl for the engine to fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88399.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	112427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93943.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	112428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21890.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	112429  
Old 04-12-2004, 05:50 PM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

Nice info fellas! It's been several months since i've looked at it. I told you fellas it was an excellent flying plane with my .50SX engine on there. Good luck.
Clint
Old 04-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Condor

This weekend I proceeded to rip the landing gear off mine. I was landing in a severe crosswind, which blew the plane out of the runway, and instead of going around, I tried to bring it back in with rudder. The obvious outcome was a landing in the weeds next to the runway. It's easily repairable, though, being a matter of gluing the landing gear block back in, and re-covering the bottom of the fuse and a wing bay.

Geez, dumb thumbs are bad enough, but dumb judgment calls are the pits [:'(]

Cheers,

Juan M. Villaveces
Old 04-14-2004, 12:31 PM
RC Crasher

Condor hate to hear that.

Has anyone weighed this thing yet? If so what engine is in it?
How are those .50 size engines working? Do you wish you had gone bigger?

I have balanced my plane a flown it a few times....It Rocks! It will take off in just a few feet and go veridical. It flies good and hovers some were around 1/3 throttle. I know it's not the best plane in the world but so far I have nothing but good things to say about it.

And one last Pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69746.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	122149  
Old 04-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Condor

Crasher,

I haven't weighed mine, so I can't be precise. What I can tell you for a fact is the OS. 50 is more than enough engine for "normal" aerobatics even at this altitude, and I would expect it to do the trick for 3D at sea level. I am very pleased with this plane and engine combo, and really look forward to learning a lot with it -- that is, if I don't "dumb-brain" it into the ground somewhere along the way.

Cheers,

Juan M. Villaveces
Old 06-22-2004, 01:42 PM
rcfanatic07

Hey everybody. I got one these babys (aeroworks edge 540t 40 sized) for Christmas and have been flying it with a magnum .46 engine w/ a 13x4 prop. But ever since i got this plane i been wanting to do 3d but the magnum is just not enough power. i have a saito fa 80 four stroke engine im going to put on it. Do yall think it will have enough power to hover and still be able to pull out of it.

Thanks
Craig
Old 09-24-2004, 08:27 AM
ErnRemy

I have a satio 80 installed in mine the cg came out right on. have only flown it twice ( weather has not been very nice to me) but love it so far!!!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:17 PM
Hegasis

What are you guys using for servos?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Teen Misfit

standards are all you need... im looking to make this an imac/3d with just a standard jr flightpack i won and saving up for the ys.63... hehehe... power rulez! it might be heavy at 5-6 lbs but... people say they get close to 8-10 lbs (guesstimate) of static... has anyone hovered this plane down low... do the controls act like the .60 size... the .60 hovers low