Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

WM Mustang& YS91 mounting and cowl

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

WM Mustang& YS91 mounting and cowl

Old 11-29-2003, 02:11 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WM Mustang& YS91 mounting and cowl

OK I've searched and found nothing on this so it's time to ask...
WM Dago red with a YS 91..I'm trying to get the recomended 4.65 inches from the drive washer to the firewall but it ain't makin it. Is there a differant mount to use or do I need to modify the stock one? The other option is to just mount it and cheat the cowl out.

I know many have this same set-up so let me know what you have done and how the CG came out. Any Pics would really be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:38 AM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WM Mustang& YS91 mounting and cowl

how much are we talkin about basin? if its 1/4 inch or so you could probly just move your cowl forward a bit and save hackin your firewall. are ya mounting inverted? sure would look nice...post some pics when yur done ok? [8D]
Old 11-29-2003, 08:46 AM
BasinBum

It's almost an inch and yes it's inverted, being a YS inverted is no problem. I'll talk to one of the guys at the field today and see what they did. I think the stock mount won't work without modification and I don' really want to have to hack the firewall.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:40 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

I flew the WM P51 for a couple years with a ST90 in it which got me 105mph. There was alot of whining about the flimsy retracts. I never had a problem but i also slopped a bunch of epoxy with milled fiberglass on the back side of the mounting blocks.
When i had that battery failure, that plane went in full speed and scattered over 50 ft but those retracts were still in them blocks! I also used Kavan wheels. This plane can land real hot and these wheels will helpt you slide the plane without that bad wheel hopping.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:53 PM
MHall
My Feedback: (7)

Have you solved your troubles yet? If not I will send you the tricks that we use to cleanly install YS 91's to 140's in WM P-51's without changing the firewalls. Very easy to do.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:29 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

mahmc1,

I am having the same problems as well (ys 110). I have heard about some guys in California racing these planes. Please send me any info you have. I am trying to get people interested in some warbird racing going at my club.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

How about sending the tricks to me. I flew mine for a couple years with a G90. I am building another and will go fourstroke. Thanks, Mike

ORIGINAL: mahmc1

Have you solved your troubles yet? If not I will send you the tricks that we use to cleanly install YS 91's to 140's in WM P-51's without changing the firewalls. Very easy to do.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:10 PM
BasinBum

mahmc1
I'm still working on it but a friend who has the same set-up told me to mount it as per plans and the cowl has enough in back so I can cheat it forward. Why not post what you know about it so I can compare and as Cyclic mentioned I'm sure more folks will want the info in the future.