Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 60 -- REVIEW!!!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 60 -- REVIEW!!!

Old 05-13-2002, 03:08 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 60 -- REVIEW!!!

Well my 60-size Ultra Stick has been out of the box and flying for about 3 weeks now and I'm ready to provide a review.

Airplane is constructed per instructions and included parts with the only exception being the fuel tank. I have a Dubro 16oz tank versus the 11oz that came with the kit. Power plant is the Saito FA-100.

POSITIVE:
1. Vista -- best looking airplane in my hanger present, past, and possibly future. Hanger 9 really came up with a exciting scheme.

2. FLIGHT -- very nimble, though sometimes touchy, makes flying this bird fun. I haven't gotten too much into the Quad Flap features yet so my response is based on basic characteristics. This plane will float to an almost virtical landing without stalling, even without flaps/crow. With the recommended Saito FA-100 virtical is unlimited with this combination.

NEGATIVE: (For the most part I find the negatives a bit disturbing here. Some are due to downright louzy QA on Hanger 9's part. In my opinion my negatives are probably not due to design flaws but rather parts quality assurance and shoddy construction.)

1. FLIGHT (takeoff) -- With the Saito FA-100 it is difficult to keep this plane on the ground during the takeoff run. Definitely do not run engine up to full. Gradually ease up the throttle and you will be off the ground long before you get to 1/2 throttle. If your not carefull you will be virtical within seconds of engine power-up -- this may cause novice flyers to panic and overcontroll on takeoff.

2. FLIGHT (knife edge) -- This plane will do it but you need to use the rudder very sparingly. Even on the recommended low-rates an attempt to knife edge this plane by throwing rudder to the stops will end in yawing the plane back to horizontal, no amount of elevator or airlon will keep this from happening.

2. WING -- for the most part the wing construction was perfect though mine did have a broken rib. On one wing panel, the second rib in from the root had pieces broken off in the middle of the rib. These pieces are still within the wing. I wasn't too concerned because it does not appear to impact the wing's strength, though it is an eyesore because of the transparent covering.

3. FUEL TANK -- much too flimsy. When I tried to install the stopper on the 11oz tank that came with the kit it split right at the mouth of the tank. I scrounge around my shop and found a Dubro 16oz tank that easily fit the enclosure -- ended up being a good thing because my Saito FA-100 is a significant fuel hog.

4. ENGINE MOUNT -- even with BLUE thread lock, the screws that attached the engine mount to the firewall where all loose after only a couple of flights, one of them was lost. I did retighten the others and replaced the lost one. Subsequent to that one of the screws loosened again and this time the blind nut fell off from the back -- that was very difficult to re-install.

5. LANDING GEAR -- (This plane is sensitive to nose over -- need to keep a lot of up elevator when taxiing.) I have flown this bird approximately 10 times and have never had a significant hard landing -- never had to rebend a pancaked landing gear. On one of my most recent flights I came in and practically landed virtical, the plane was that slow on landing. Unfortunately the plane nosed over and caught the prop which stalled the engine. When I recovered the airplane I found out why it nosed over -- the left axle and wheel where missing. Not the entire axle, only the part that is pressed into the axle's mount was missing, the rest fell off during flight. I subsequently replaced the axle and wheel and flew a couple more times without any incident. My next couple of landings where relatively soft, though I did lightly bounce it a couple of times in the face of some headwind. On my third landing after replacing the axle and wheel I came in for a normal landing, it was not a hard landing, and the entire main landing gear sheared off. I couldn't believe what I saw and was reall dissapointed when I found that it resulted in significant damage to the landing gear area of the fusilage. I inspected the landing gear and fusilage and came to the conclusion that the hardwood block might have had a crack in it and coupled with the lack of glue in that area made the landing gear mount very fragile. I have taken Horizon Hobbies to task on this -- will be interested in seeing their response.

SUMMARY: This is still one of my hanger jewels and I will repair the landing gear and fly it again. The Saito FA-100 is a perfect match for this airplane if you like power. It easily over-powers this plane. And, you can't keep from admiring the covering design.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:18 PM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knife edge

My Ultra Stik 1.20 is a bear to knife edge without mixing. If I mix 22% opposite aileron and 12% down elevator it will hold a knife edge with rudder alone.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:52 PM
mvigod
Banned

Hilleja,

can you post copy of this in the user review section if you have not done so already?
Old 05-13-2002, 11:25 PM
Pud

Hey Hilleja,
I am "almost" finished putting my US 60 together, something you said caught my attention.

I am still impressed with the overall quality and covering, but you know, mine ALSO had a broken 2'nd rib from the tip!
It 'kinda looked like a compression break, the inner part of the rib was broken out.
My LHS gladly gave me a new ROLL(!!) of Trans. Yellow Ultracote, and I opened up the bottom of the wing and made the repair.
They spoke to Horizon about it, and Horizon said"give him the covering, we will replace your stock".

Nice of my LHS, AND Horizon, I think.

Worked out fine, you have to look hard to see the new covering overlap, and rib repair.
Makes you wonder who is mashing the wings!!

I also replaced the tank, and added some firewall pinning.

I have been bench running my MDS .78,(which is going in the US 60) got about 7 tanks ran through it now, been leaning it out ever so gently!Seems to be a super running engine so far.
I can hardly wait!!
Pud
Old 05-14-2002, 12:59 AM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

Default Broken Rob

I wonder if the way the plane is packed is breaking this rib?

I am very happy with all my H9 stuff, but found that the top stringer on my 100" cub was cracked from the packing. Easy fix, but I heard that from several other guys. They changed the packing and no one else had the problem.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:22 AM
jstyme4
My Feedback: (5)

Default ultra stik 60

I just finished my stik and it also had a broken rib @ 2 from wing tip. I have repaired mine and will call Horizon on this. I put a FZ91YS in mine and looks like I may need to add 5oz. to the tail :cry: I hate adding weight but I have my gear as far back as I possibbly can without cutting a hatch. Anyone have any suggestions(I hear that a tail heavy plane is great for 3D).
Also want to add that I have several Hanger9 products and Horizon has always stood behind thier products in my past dealings with them!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 08:24 AM
Pud

Hey Jstyme4,
my US 60 is very noseheavy with the MDS .78 too.

On another thread I mentioned this.
What I have done is cut a hatch on the fuse top a couple of inches behind the wing.
I am putting the battery(1100mah) back there, looks like that will allow me to get the CG close.
It was pretty easy to do, used a piece of lite ply as a lip in the front for two small screws, used the same ply for a couple of small tabs at the rear(with a small piece on the hatch as a "tongue".
You may want to do this also, I HATE adding dead weight to balance an airplane!
When you talk to Horizon, see if you could find what may be causing all our broken ribs!
Pud
Old 05-15-2002, 10:32 AM
hilleyja

Mine took 1.5oz on the tail with the 1300mah battery rear of the servos.

BTW, Horizon has yet to respond to my email about the loss of my landing gear and damage to my fuselage -- Its been 3 days.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:05 PM
Pud

I have emailed Horizon a few times.
They have always replied, but the fastest reply I ever got was about 3 days,
Usually it took from 3-5 days for a response.
I guess it takes a while to get through all the mail they must get!
The good news(in my case, anyway) is they DO answer eventually!
Pud
Old 05-15-2002, 09:37 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I also had a noseheavy US (.40-sized)

I also cut a hatch in the top rear fuse sheeting and secured a 1300 mAh rx battery back there. I didn't bother fitting a hatchlid; I covered the hole with clear tape for the first few flights. Once done tweaking the CG I discarded the tape, replaced it with white Ultracote.

Wups!that won't look so hot on the .60 bird if the covering on the fuse is transparent.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:39 AM
KeithB
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Ultra Stick knife edge mixing

Originally posted by rcflier_gi
My Ultra Stik 1.20 is a bear to knife edge without mixing. If I mix 22% opposite aileron and 12% down elevator it will hold a knife edge with rudder alone.
rcflier_gi,

I have an Ultra Stick 40 and I'm going to mix ailerons and elevator as you've done to try and improve its knife edge. For starters I'll try the 22% & 12% that you've suggested (even though I have the 40 size).

However, I was curious if you use straight 22% & 12% values across the entire ruder throw range or if you use (or have tried) variable percentages (exponential) so the percentages change depending on how far you move the rudder.

Thanks,
KeithB
Old 05-30-2002, 10:45 AM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Default variable mix

I use mix 6 & 7 on my Futaba 9C which 5 point variable mixes. I have them both set to a single switch.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:44 AM
RAYTELI
My Feedback: (113)

MY ULTRA STICK 60 HAD THREE BROKEN RIBS, ONE OF THEM BEING UNDER THE SHEETING OF THE CENTER SECTION. REPAIR WAS EFFECTED BY CUTTING A HOLE IN THE ROOT RIB AND PLACING A SPLINT OVER THE BROKEN AREA THROUGH THE HOLE. THE LANDING GEAR BLOCK SPLIT IN MINE ALSO, BUT I CAUGHT IT BEFORE IT DISLOGED ITSELF. THE REPAIR IS TO LAY OVER THE BLOCK AND SIDES OF THE FUSELAGE WITH GLASS CLOTH AND EPOXY. THE REAL FIX WOULD BE MAKING THE BLOCK
(AND WING JOINER) OUT OF PLYWOOD INSTEAD OF THE HARD WOOD THAT IS USED. I ALSO GLASSED THE FIREWALL FROM THE INSIDE AND COATED THE ENTIRE TANK COMPARTMENT WITH EPOXY. THE CENTER SECTION OF THE WING WAS ALSO GLASSED. THE MACHINE SCREW NEEDS TO SECURED SOME WAY IN THE FUEL TANK. MINE BACKED OUT AND DUMPED FUEL IN THE TANK COMPARTMENT. I USED THIN CYA FOR THIS JOB. CG WAS WAY NOSE HEAVY EVEN WITH A .61 SF FOR POWER. THE BATTERY PACK(1500MAH AUL CELLS) IS INSTALLED IN FRONT OF THE LAST FORMER BEFORE THE RUDDER. CG IS NOW OK. THE PLANE WANTS TO NOSE OVER ALL THE TIME AND THIS WAS CURED BY SANDING A WEDGE OUT OF 1/4 INCH PLYWOOD AND INSTALLING IT SO THAT IT SWEEPS THE GEAR FOREWARD. THE PLANE IS A HOOT TO FLY ESPECIALLY WITH THE CROW FUNCTION. THANKS GLIDER GUYS!
Old 05-31-2002, 05:50 PM
fotta

If that had been my US, I would also be yelling
Old 02-15-2023, 10:10 AM
Crazy Legs

Default Ultra Stick 60 Flies a little nose high

Fast Forward 21 years!!! I started flying my Ultra-Stick 60 again last year (2022). I switched the engine to an OS H60F Gold Head for power now. It's a very easy flying airplane and is very light, but for some reason it flies a little nose high when puttering around under half-throttle. Could this be due to a lack of enough down thrust? It's got to be some kind of trim problem.