Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sportsman Waco .60 Arf

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sportsman Waco .60 Arf

Old 01-31-2004, 08:02 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Waco .60 Arf

I have completed the assembly of my Waco and when i got ready to test my throws and do some final checks, i found that the Aileron servos are binding due to the angle the slave rods. Has anyone out there put one of these planes together? If so did you have the same problem? I just don't know if I have done something wrong, I went by the instructions but this one is just making me scratch my head. [>:]This is not my first airplane i have built about 8 Kits and 7 Arfs. Help! Help!

Thanks.
Craig
Old 01-31-2004, 11:13 PM
gtisme

Default RE: Sportsman Waco .60 Arf

The control horns that you cut down to attach the rods to should be facing forward on the lower wing (hole to the front), and the upper control horns should be facing rearward (hole to the back).
I had some trouble with this, originally had both upper and lower facing the same direction. Not only do they bind that way, but the upper ailerons had more travel than the lower. Take your time cleaning and filing on the "cut down control horns for a good fit.

Also, I must mention the weakness of the main landing gear support. Don't know if you have read previous posts about this airplane, but the landing gear support structure must be beefed up before you fly or I guarantee that it will break by the 10th or 12th landing! This is a great plane, but it won't last long if you don't do this.

If you look inside the fuselage you will see the two semi-circle formers that go on each side of the landing gear plate. Notice that these formers do not continue up to the top formers which are attached to the main "crutch" running the length of the aircraft. These formers on either side of the landing gear plate are only supported by balsa stringers and some thin balsa sheeting......that's all that is supporting the weight of the aircraft . The best way that I could find to fix this is to epoxy hardwood pieces, connecting the lower semi-circle formers to the upper semi-circle formers, 2 on each side, fore and aft. This will allow the weight and landing forces to be transferred to the main plywood crutch that runs the length of the aircraft.

I am speaking from first hand experience with this plane, and also from several others who have posted here.

This is a great airplane, flys and looks great, but must have the landing gear weakness addressed before you fly it.

Gary
Old 01-31-2004, 11:25 PM
craigteffe

I did as the instructions said and put the lower one facing forward and the upper one facing back. This still causes the servo to bind, so i moved the horns on the ailerons - the one on the bottom futher tward the hinge line and the one on the upper futher tward the trailing edge of the aileron this helped but now i don't have the same amount of throw in both directions. I wonder if there is someting i'm missing?

Craig
Old 02-01-2004, 10:27 PM
avngr1

I dont know what the fix for that is ( I no longer have the plane) but dont feel bad , my aelerons did the same thing.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:56 PM
gtisme

The linkages on my WACO did bind until I did some filing/sanding on the horns. Also, you might want to change out the plastic clevises and use nylon instead. If I remember, the pin in the grey plastic clevises were too large in diameter and would bind in the control horn hole.

Gary
Old 02-03-2004, 09:23 PM
craigteffe

I did not use the original hardware, I used 4-40 slave rods and i have moved the control horns on both top and bottom surfaces. The one on the top is about 1/4 inch from the trailing edge, the one on the bottom is about 1/4 inch from the the hinge line. This gives me more throw in one direction than the other on the top wing. I did take the plane out this weekend and fly it. Overall it flew great, had to add down trim to the elevator and i need more aileron throw. I did have some flutter when coming out of a turn at 3/4 throttle or higher. I think this is because of the wire between both elevator halves, When i built this plane i moved the servos for the rudder and the Elevator to the outside, I am going to add another servo for the other elevator half.

Can anyone help me with the original problem with the servos on the Ailerons binding because of the slave rods.

Craig