Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARF Building Prices

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ARF Building Prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Rudderbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF Building Prices

A friend just got a Hangar 9 Corsair (60 size), and has asked me to put it together for him. What is the customary charge for building an ARF like this? Those of you who do this and want to respond, I would also be very interested to know if your price is for building exactly per the instruction manual, or if you do extras to improve durability, performance or whatever.

Any information you can supply will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Lean540

Default RE: ARF Building Prices

If he is a freind build it for free, you will gain experience and he will love you for it.
Unless he is wealthy, then, about $1000.00 US should do it.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:20 PM
deputydog

Well, it is an ARF! Is he a friend or an aquaintance? 60 size for a friend I would charge $150, $200 for the other. Extras are an additional charge for the aquaintance!
Sometimes I just barter. "Hey, buy me that plane, or motor". Your time is valuable but you are doing it for the love of it!!!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:43 PM
FHHuber
Banned

for a friend: Have him buy fresh bottles of epoxy... a 2 oz of CA and any other "expendables". You build the arf and get to keep the leftover glues and such.

Assembling an ARF at a professional level... most you can charge for is 10 hours labor. Now what's your labor worth per hour?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:56 PM
swooper

Build for free if he'll let you fly it whenever you want.
Otherwise, a carpenter gets around $25 per hour, and building models correctly is at least as skilled a trade, so charge $30. Let's see how good a friend this person really is. I wouldn't consider somebody wanting your time for $5 an hour much of a friend.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:01 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

I have found that when I build one for free, it turns out better than charging. On one occation, I built a Kyosho ME-109 and kept bragging at how good it looked. A week after I finished it, The Brown truck dropped one at my door and I was EXCITED!!( Also, he was a lawyer and those are good friends to have!)
Old 02-04-2004, 10:05 PM
electron
My Feedback: (1)

Does he have a good looking girlfreind? Oh never mind HAHHAHAHAH just asking .....

To be honest I would do as another reader said build it for free other than supplies and you get to keep the extra's left over....
Old 02-04-2004, 10:06 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a friend ?

a six pack of soda or beer and his company and what ever else was needed to finish the plane would be more than enough. but if he INSISTS on paying you i would say take me to dinner

lost my .02 worth.

bassman
Old 02-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Roll On 60

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built hundreds of planes, scratch, kit, arf etc and have charged different prices for all.
ARF's are built for the cost of the plane or something I may need that is equal in price.
Kit's are built for $$$ depending on size of plane, 40, 60, 120 etc.
Scratch planes are very expensive depending on what stage of build you want.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:32 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

RE: Charges????

Let's see now...... A dollar for evertime you slice your finger/hand with a #11; Ten dollars for every time that same #11 rolls off the workbench and stabs your foot; Don't forget the ever popular "glue your hand to the wing structure" technique will always net you ten to fifteen bucks. I just billed my overtime for the month: The dreaded "Oh crap!!! Look at that thin CA run down that beautiful Imron finish!! What? You have a problem with paying $450.00 for this Electric GWS Cub I built for you?? Look at all my bandages!! What nerve!

Over and Out,
Iceman
Old 02-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Hopsterguy

Beer... lots of beer. Just don't drink it all while building. (if he is a good friend)
Old 02-04-2004, 10:58 PM
bearmech

I usually get a kit, arf or engine around the same price as the arf to be assembled. Glue, new hardware and the like are extra at cost and I keep any leftovers.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:19 PM
CAP232CM
My Feedback: (8)

In my area our club builder gets between $50 and $100 to assemble an arf. You can't charge 25 or 30 bucks per hour as previously stated. If you charge that amount you will have to warranty the airplane for a set amount of time. If your friend crashes the airplane he will say you built it wrong and want you to replace it. I would encourage him to assemble it himself or build it for free.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:35 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he's a FRIEND, no charge but have him buy the food and drink and participate in the planes construction so when you hand him the completed model it won't be a complete mystery to him.

Also, do a search on this plane to fine out it's weak points and what to modify while building, like the firewall.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:37 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When it's something I want to build and fly a couple of times, I'll build it for cost of materials, but I get to fly it for a couple of weeks before I turn it over to the buyer. (Obviously if I break it, I have to repair/replace it.)

If it's a good friend it's free, but it goes at the back of the que, and he can come pick it up anytime he decides it's taking too long.

Otherwise it's cost of materials plus $2000. (I don't get many takers.)

Jim
Old 02-05-2004, 02:48 PM
wldcwbypilot

Custumary charge is he buys two arfs, one for him and one for you.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:59 PM
wldcwbypilot

Plus all blades for the exacto, glues for the next ten and the tip is a 4 stroke engine at the top end of the models range. Plus radio gear if he wants it that installed.