Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 1/4 Spacewalker

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes 1/4 Spacewalker

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:27 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Planes 1/4 Spacewalker

All,

I admit that I'm not big on ARFs because I love the rewards of building and flying your own planes but I have one ARF which has proven to be an excellent plane.

The family decided to buys me an ARF for a present and because of some of the feedback on this forum, I chose the GP Spacewalker with an OS FS91 w pump.

I still haven't seen the kit so I am keen to learn what I can expect from it.
Is there anything in particular that I should be aware of when I assemble the plane?
What sort of flying characteristics can I expect from this combo?

Thanks in advance

Ari
Old 03-10-2004, 02:24 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes 1/4 Spacewalker

Check this out...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...ey=spacewalker
Old 03-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Q-Ball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell you what. I've never been a Spacewalker fan.I had an Astro Hog which looks somewhat like the S/W but it was just too dang slow....
I may change my mind.A guy at the field showed up with the GP Spacewalker ARF with the 91 4S. Talkin' bout a beauty. I've never even like the way they covered it,but changed my mind on that one too.It was a real looker.
This plane took off slower than I can crawl.I didn't think a plane could take off with so little groundspeed.The landings were the same....SLOW.

I'll keep this one in mind for sure when I slow things down a little.
From what I witnessed,you'll love it...

Later
Walt
Old 03-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Q-Ball

Tell you what. I've never been a Spacewalker fan.I had an Astro Hog which looks somewhat like the S/W but it was just too dang slow....
I may change my mind.A guy at the field showed up with the GP Spacewalker ARF with the 91 4S. Talkin' bout a beauty. I've never even like the way they covered it,but changed my mind on that one too.It was a real looker.
This plane took off slower than I can crawl.I didn't think a plane could take off with so little groundspeed.The landings were the same....SLOW.

I'll keep this one in mind for sure when I slow things down a little.
From what I witnessed,you'll love it...

Later
Walt
Old 03-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Galloping Ghost
My Feedback: (12)

I have a SW with a Magnum .91 FS, and it's simply an awesome plane. I built it according to the plans, except that I moved the throttle servo as far forward as I could to save on nose weight.

The plane gets positive comments every time I take it to the field, and most of the club members have flown it at one time or another. As our club founder and legendary RC'er Corky Heitman says, "Everyone should have a Space Walker" I couldn't agree more!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 11:22 PM
autoguns

almost done...JW
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96603.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	110141  
Old 03-11-2004, 12:10 AM
kroflite54
My Feedback: (5)

hi jw.

i see you have a spacewalker also.I just put my engine in mine tonight.i noticed you installed yours inverted .i was thinking about doing that but wasn't sure how it would line up with crankshaft opening in cowl. i still might try.did you have to make any modes to mounting to do it?
I bought mine at a swap meet.engine was already side mounted and had a huge ugly hole in cowl.i ordered a new cowl one from tower and ,as yet ,have not done anything to it.i put an os fs 70 in it .should fly very realistic.I'm saving my 91 for the you-can-do which is next after this one ,

ken.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:05 AM
autoguns

Hi Ken ,
Yup , I bought this plane about a year ago and haven't had the time to build it ....but lately Iv'e been a building fool ... The install of the Os91fs engine and the cowl was very easy, no problem's with the cowl lining up great with the engine inverted. I did add a os 90 deg manifold to get the pipe out the bottom of the cowl jest were I wanted it ... ...I also have the UCD3D 60, ...that plane is a sweet plane........I'll always have one in the hanger.......Here the pic's of the cowl....JW
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43007.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	110174   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45368.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	110175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73757.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	110176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45973.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	110177  
Old 03-11-2004, 04:55 AM
kroflite54
My Feedback: (5)

hi jw

wow. thanks for the pics.inverted really makes for a clean looking nose but will you have enough airflow over the cylinder to keep it cool enough?sure makes an easier job of cutting cowl to.good looking plane jw.hopefully ,i'll get mine to the rtf stage today.that will make me 2 planes that will be maidens flights.I have a big bingo rtf for its maiden also.i have an os bgx 3500 in it.What a brute.

have a good day jw. ken

Old 03-11-2004, 08:54 AM
daniel_cox

The Spacewalker is one of my favorite airplanes. It flies extremely well and looks fantastic in the air. Minor complaints - the cowl color doesn't match the red covering and it took a lot of weight in the nose to balance. Overall, a well done ARF that flies as well as it looks.