Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

SIG Rascal Forty in the house!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

SIG Rascal Forty in the house!

Old 03-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SIG Rascal Forty in the house!

My Rascal .40 size just arrived.

It's been a long time since I flew r/c and I got a Modeltech P-47 kit a few weeks ago but had second thoughts about loosening up my thumbs on a warbird so I decided to get something more relaxing.

I am very impressed with the quality of this ARF kit and the instruction manual is superb.

I see on the box the copyright date for this kit is 2001. How many of you are flying a Rascal Forty? How has its service life been? Any building tips beyond the manual I should be aware of?

I will be powering this plane with my rebuilt Saito .45

Thanks,
-Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75810.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	112882  
Old 03-18-2004, 07:18 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SIG Rascal Forty in the house!

That motor looks awesome....what did you do?
Old 03-18-2004, 07:48 PM
wrcflyer

Kmot - have been flying one for about a year - flys good . smooth & responsive. - surprising it"s a bit of a floater on landings . needs a fair amount of runway . take off's - it's can be squirrely on take off- you want to get the tail off the ground for control . i think a different tail-wheel ( like a sullavan tail wheel ) would do better . i broke one pair of motor mount bar's. changed them from alum. to steel . i made my own from 1/8" stock & ground the surface to 3/32". installing the engine is a pain. beef up the landing gear area if you can. i added peace of 3/32 ply about 6" or 7" long on the bottum outside the belly (cover one side & epoxy the other) you will have fun . it's a good plane. good luck BILL WRC-FLYER
Old 03-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Kmot

Hey Bill: thanks for that good info!

rc_sport: Thanks! Here is a thread on what I did to the Saito:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Sait...1551041/tm.htm
Old 03-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Skribnod

The Rascal forty is a hoot to fly , had one for about 6 months and have never had a problem.....even with ski's on. I have a thunder tiger 46 pro and it flat outruns my flying buddies trainer with a 60 on it. The Rudder has supreme authority in the air and it will knife edge all day. Also have the 110" but waiting for warmer weather to kick in before I fly it. You wont be dissapointed and the guys at SIG are outstanding people if you have any problems.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:15 PM
rc-sport

Ok Tom, back to that motor. You used plain old Krylon and baked it in the oven at 225 for an hour? Man I have to try that on my Saito 120 for my Skybolt, except in blue.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:00 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Got a 110 Rascal, If the 40 is anywhere close in flying habits it'll be a hoot.
Love it. Classic, majestic, lady in the air. Can't take it anywhere that it doesn't draw a crowd.
If your 40 is constructed like the 110, make sure you go over the plane wand apply thin CA to EVERY CONNECTION YOU CAN POSSIBLY REACH. Of corse that's a good practice with any ARF. but it was evident it was necessary on the SIG planes.
You made a very good choice in chosing that plane get back in the air with.
Good luck.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:05 AM
avngr1

Put epoxy and tristock on the landing gear plates. You will eventually need it. I ended up putting small wire ( pushrod size ) from the firewall to the LG to prevent tear out. The plane is really a glider on landings and throttle needs to be cut @ 400 feet out. It takes a LONG time to come down.

The tailwheel spring is a pain. eventually i put a small rigid wire with a clevise from the rudder control horn to the taiwheel control horn, it resulted in a very positive steering setup. Without it streering was a nightmare. Id put braces on the elevator- rudder. Just use clevises and pushrod wire with small bolts. Im clumsy and I would hit the tail accedentally and that would end my flying for the day.

I had a magnum 61 fs at first. You had to kill the motor to land. because of the fuel tank position the plane idled rich and would not hold a low enough idle to land.
I went to a tower 46 and that worked fine,, plenty of power.

Get as much aeleron throw as you can get. The plane rolls veeerrrry slow. At the maximum throws that you can get it rolls @ once every 1.5 seconds.

You will learn how to crab in the wind, or you will be landing in the bush.

Actually its a good plane, well built but light. I recovered mine and found that it was a bit light for me. Just be careful handling the wing, dont be an bull in the china shop like me.

Mine is now enjoying a second life with a trike gear setup with a friend. He didnt care for the ground handling. Point it to the wind give it gas and it will be airborne in 30-40 feet.

Happy flying.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:43 PM
Kmot

Thanks for the tips guys! I appreciate it!

Keep em' coming!
Old 03-22-2004, 01:19 PM
GX Ame

I am thinking about getting a Rascal 40 ARF. I will also be using a Thunder Tiger Pro 46. How is the engine mounted? I assume the head is to the right with the exhaust pointing down? Did you use an exhaust extension? Are the wing servos mounted inside the wings, with covers, or are they mounted on the surface? I can't find any clear pictures to tell. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Skribnod

The engine is mounted inverted , so a remote glow igniter is advised. Also I made a small enough hole in the side of the cowl just big enough to pass the muffler through. On the 110" rascal I used a ST2300 and did the same setup as the 40 size. Seems to work ok and I avoided the $400 first place engine cost. Slimline makes a in cowl muffler but not enough room to mount it even with the newer super slim version.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43480.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	114218  
Old 03-22-2004, 02:29 PM
wrcflyer

GX Ame any 46 engie will do fine in this plane - engine mounts inverted - exhaust out the left side - no extention needed - wing servos mount on vinal cover plate in side the wing.. it's a cool plane . looks great in the air. good luck BILL WRC-FLYER[8D] [img][/img]
Old 03-22-2004, 02:30 PM
GX Ame

Thanks for the replys. Very pretty looking aircraft. I was thinking of a Cub, but I think I go with the Rascal.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Skribnod

The aileron servos are mounted inside the wing. They attach directly to the servo covers and then the covers are screwed to the wings.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Kmot

GX Ame: I am just going through the assembly manual so far. The wing servos mount directly in front of the ailerons. It is required to purchase two aileron extension harnesses and one extension "Y" harness.

I ordered my Rascal Forty from Tower Hobbies and they list the servo extensions needed under the "Accessories" link on the order page for the plane.

Skribnod: I love they way your models are displayed!!
Old 03-22-2004, 04:48 PM
rc-sport

Last summer I flew my Rascal off water, it was blast.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Skribnod

Thanks Kmot , and the rascal is really super on ski's. I actually prefer winter flying...........the runway is so much smoother. As of to date I have app. 30 flights on the little rascal with minor problems. I lost a tailwheel spring which ended one day of flying and I am very pleased to note that the wheel pants are not cracking anywhere yet. I do fly off a rough field and it does beat the planes to death.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:45 PM
Kmot

Hello guys, going through this thread again and also reading old threads on the Rascal 40 can someone please clarify for me what the "landing gear reinforcement" is exactly. I.E. do I need to glue a plywood doubler inside the fuse, outside the fuse, what? Someone else said use tri-stock.

Anyone got any pics? My old brain works better with pics.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:20 AM
Skribnod

Kmot , I have flown mine off a rough field with the wheelpants on and have yet to have a problem. I am not a expert at smooth landings but the gear has stayed put. I dont feel the need to reinforce it but if you do I suppose you could epoxy some hardwood to the gearmount somewhere or add tension wires running from the front of the firewall back to the landing gear.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Kmot,

When you are drilling the holes in the firewall to mount the fuel filler valve bracket, be sure that your fuel tank is NOT YET INSTALLED!!!

Don't ask me how I know this[][&o]
Old 03-26-2004, 02:03 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Been flying mine since 2001. Only real problem is to replace the (2) aluminum engine mounting plates with steel. The aluminum plates will crack! It's been a fine aircraft. A lot easier ground handling than the Cub

John
Old 03-26-2004, 10:33 PM
gsmarino2000

Kmot,

I have 70 or 80 flights on mine ... excellent ARF, flys great ... my only compliaint is ineffective ailerons - otherwise fairly aerobatic. Rolls can be reasonably quick if you use the rudder and ailerons together. Probably the easiest plane to knife edge that I have ever flown.

Suggestions:

1. Replace the motor mount plates with steel from the outset.

2. If you fly off a rough field or are prone to hard landings, you should reinforce the gear.

Some engines may have problems with the inverted position and the large, high fuel tank. I fought with idle problems on a TT42 for dozens of flights and then switched to a Saito 72.

Greg
Old 03-26-2004, 11:50 PM
Kmot

Thanks for the tips, fellas!

How exactly, do you suggest reinforcing the landing gear?
Old 03-27-2004, 01:26 AM
gsmarino2000

Kmot,

The gear are mounted to a "block" that is much thicker than the surrounding material. Problem is the block tearing out from the bottom of the fusalage.

Since I fly from rough dirt fields in summer and snow in the winter, I reinforced mine by making two 1/16" plywood plates about 2.5" long. I removed the covering on either side of the fusalage in these areas and epoxied and screwed the plates to the ends of the block and the side of the fusalage. Then covered with white film. There are probably many other ways that will work - triangle stock epoxied to the fusalage sides and the top of the landing gear block would probably work and would not disturb the covering as I did. Key point is just to spread out an impact load.

BTW: It makes a good float plane as well.

Greg
Old 03-27-2004, 06:50 AM
JNorton

The landing gear block in mine was not a ply but a solid wood. It split horizontally in the middle of the block from the points on the blind nuts. Because mine is from the first shipment I did not respond to the post feeling it was most likely fixed.

I took the heat gun and pulled the remaining pieces of block out. Next I made up a slightly thicker and wider block of aircraft plywood for the new block. The new block runs the full width of the fuse. I notched the outside of the fuselage walls to accept it. Then I added 1/2" angle stock on the inside of the fuse supporting each end of the block. I used 30 minute epoxy and haven't had any problems since.

John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.