Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Old 08-17-2005, 09:41 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D

The new Plug and Play Twist has a great color scheme. I contacted Hanger 9 to see if they are going to introduce the new scheme without all the extras, but they said no. Its a shame. I guess when I have to recover one of my Twists, I'll have to go with something new.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:59 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

It will be interesting to see if the plug and play twist color is easier to see. I have the original yellow and purple and for me I have a hard time seeing it under certain light conditions.

Aimforever, Are you using the OS 70 surpass or the FL? What prop are you using?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Waldopepperaxel

I haven't flown mine yet, but I just spent the spring months stick building and a faulty servo smashed my plane and a disconnect of the elevator smashed my other, I have 2 other planes but there just trainers but fun to fly I added a bomb dropping hatch to one, I needed Acrobatics, So I had to buy something fast, and seeing the Twisted for $99.00 & I could be sport flying again, was the answer this time, I have been flying and building for 35 years and I tell you it took me 3 hours to put this thing together, I can see the addiction to ARF's but I will keep buying the kits as my heart is in the building of the plane as well as the flying, Can't wait to try out the Twisted looks like its going to be great.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:47 AM
capfo

I just flew mine for the first time yesterday. I put 3 tanks thru the Evo 46nt before the rain started and to be honest, I was a little disappointed in the lack of power. I'm using a 12.25X3.75 and it just doesn't seem to have the authority I'd like. It's a new motor so I'm hoping things will improve as the engine breaks in a little more. I removed the baffle last night and I'll try it again tomorrow but if it doesn't improve I think I'll swap it out for a 4S.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:08 PM
cowwboyy

I use a 10X6 it with the same engine and love it! I have tried other props and found no other that I like.Give it a try You may change your mind.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:39 PM
jlank
My Feedback: (5)

Do any of you all think an OS 70 Surpass would be a good replacement for my OS 46AX. I'd like a little more power for verticals and taking off.

Thanks,
Joel
Old 08-20-2005, 10:34 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

jlank.
The OS 70 would be a great replacement. I have one in my twist right now. I use to have a Saito 80, which also flew it well but I needed the engine for another plane. So I put in the OS-70. I was using a 12 x 3.75 prop and it flies it just fine. Plenty of vertical at just 1/2 throttle. Take off are no problem. I just changed the prop to a 13 x 4W and hope to try it out on Sunday. That is suppose to be a fun fly type prop. I want to see how it flies with that one.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:13 PM
jlank

Thanks Bluemax please let me know how the 13x4 does. I'll be switching engines some time this week and am really interested in how to prop this combo.

Thanks,
Joel
Old 08-21-2005, 06:27 PM
thebluemax

It was hot out there today but I managed to get two good long flights on her today. The 13 x 4w ran a lot quieter than the 12 x 3.75 as it wasn't running up like before. It was so quiet on the first flight I thought I was dead stick and here the motor was still running. Plenty of power and vertical was unlimited. I tihink the 4w is getting a better bite. She hung better and was able to hover pretty good.

I am going to leave the 13 x 4w on there for a while as I think it is a better combo for this engine. You will not be disappointed thats for sure. Let me know how you make out.....
Old 08-22-2005, 09:00 PM
jlank

bluemax did you have to use larger tires for prop clearence?

Thanks,
Joel
Old 08-22-2005, 10:47 PM
thebluemax

Clearance was never an issue, but I had put 3 inch Sullivan Litewheels on it when I got the plane. I always try and put bigger wheels (2 1/2 to 3 inches) on all of my planes because of the grass not always being cut.

I did have to mount the engine as far forward on the mount as I could because of the carb and throttle linkage. It also helped with the balance as I did not need any dead weight to get the cg to 4 3/4 inches.

I used a Higley Ninety Hub for the spinner and a Higley locking nut as the OS-70 has a real long shaft and most spinners don't fit too well. The throttle linkage comes out of the firewall below the carb, and goes past the carb and then does a u-turn up, coming back to the throttle linkage. Works just fine. I had posted some pictures a few pages back showing the hub and I think my carb hook up shows in there. I will edit this post if I can find them for you.

I found the page. It doesn't really show the linkage but it does show the spinner.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1674813/anchors_2960102/mpage_79/key_higley/anchor/tm.htm#2960102]click for pictures of Higley hub[/link]

If you want to see what the linkage looks like I can post a couple of pictures for you, but it won't be until Thursday or Friday as I won't have my camera back until then..
Old 08-23-2005, 08:24 PM
danieldrake

Regarding Landing the Twist:
Flew my twist for the first time today. Running a Saito .72 4stroke with a 14X4 prop. The CG is set at about 4.75 inches. I was really impressed with the ease of take-off and flying this plane. It did exactly what I told it to do in the air. I also like the breaking the 14X4 prop did for me on dives. I had problems with the landing. I wanted to see if anyone had any advice. As I bring the twist down it looks like it is landing like all my other aircraft, good rate of decent, the airspeed bleeds off quicker (thick wing, flat prop) but that is OK. So I flare it at about 3 feet off the ground and it just keeps on flying till the speed gets too low for me to feel comfortable. At this low speed it looks like its either getting ready to pancake or drop the tail.....will it or does it keep flying? I can land it with no problems with either a steeper decent (more speed) or a few clicks of engine. Does anyone else know a good way to get these birds safely on the ground.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Ron Kinsey

Hey Dan, my Twist lands ok, but yours sounds like it lands like my ShowTime. Good desent, and when I just breath on the elevator, it seem to just float forever. My suggestion would be to add nose weight...move the CG forward. I haven't tried it yet, so it is just a suggestion. Let us know if it helps...Good luck!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:58 PM
cowwboyy

It is like the twist never wants to land..... I have the same problem..It will just float and float. It will just pancake cuz I have done this five times and have to patch the wings and replace the nylon bolts in the landing gear. But all aside in the air you can not beat this plane!
Old 08-23-2005, 09:07 PM
patnjimtucker

I concur with Ron. As your C of G comes forward you will float less on landing. You said you were at 4 3/4 '' aft of the LE. If you come forward to 4 1/4" you will notice a difference. But I am told by some of the 3D guys that you will not have the same qualities for 3D with the CG forward. I am now flying mine at about 4 1/4 " and enjoy it. Very easy to land. Little bit of float but predictable. I used to have it at 4" aft of the LE and it was easier to land. And I now find that I must have the engine idle down low or it will float more. Engine idle speed must be kept very low, even a few kilicks on my computer radio makes a difference in landing float. Hope this is of some help Dan. Jim Tucker
Old 08-23-2005, 09:16 PM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

I have my CG at 5" and landing isn't a problem.. slow it down real nice with some elevator THROUHOUT your descent with a flare at 2-3 feet and it will be beautiful.. Try stalling it at high altitudes first.. take it up and drop it to idle with full up elevator, you'll see this plane can fly VERY slow..

Sachin
Old 08-24-2005, 11:18 AM
ghee-grose

ORIGINAL: patnjimtucker

But I am told by some of the 3D guys that you will not have the same qualities for 3D with the CG forward. Jim Tucker
I would bet money with a CG at or front of 4 1/2" or 4 5/8" you will never get it to go into a true flat spin. I tried for months and months until I finally got my CG back around 5" it would never do it. It would just fly out. Now it will flat spin and not decend.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:43 PM
jlank

Bluemax I would really appericiate pics of the throttle setup they may differ from mine a little as I am going to use older OS 70 Supreme. But I'm thankful for any and all help.

Thanks,
Joel
Old 08-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Lefte
My Feedback: (1)

Twist,
Crashed and broken in the same #$$^%#@ place as every other one listed.

Repaired and awaiting good flying weather to ensure straight level before licking the envelope again.

MAN I wish they would give it a little more support in the middle.

Lefty
[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Ernie Misner

Are you flat spinning it right side up or inverted? How do some guys acheive a climbing flat spin????

thanks,

Ernie
Old 08-24-2005, 07:34 PM
thebluemax

Jlank,
When I get my camera back I will post them for you. Should see them Friday at the latest....
Old 08-24-2005, 07:57 PM
E-Mo
My Feedback: (12)

ernie
mine seems to like to to spin inverted
better than upright.
climbing flats are all about power
i have to feed in some right aile to keep it from flopping out
it does not climb at a high rate but noetheless it is climbing
Old 08-25-2005, 06:20 AM
ghee-grose

I don't think my G-51 has quite enough power to make it climb, but I can slow it down to a stop. I know I'm an odd ball, but mine flat spins better upright.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:04 PM
jlank

Thank you Bluemax!!

Joel
Old 08-25-2005, 10:54 PM
thebluemax

Joel,
Here you go. Hopefully these will let you see what I did. Any other questions, etc... just shout....
Good Luck,
Bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.