Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Jack211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Remember, Left Thumb, you CAN build/repair that center fuse to survive Katrina, BUT, if you do, it will break in places not so easy to fix. THIS PLANE IS DESIGNED TO BREAK JUST WHERE IT DOES, when you crash.

I am now flying my FOURTH Twist. Number 3 has a 45 SuperTigre on it, now four months old, still going strong; number 4 has a new Saito .82a (I love the sound! Yes, overpowered for sure, but a joy to fly--even in 25 mph gusts.) [I have gone through 20 gallons of Wildcat 15% nitro since May 15.] I fly every day, weather permitting, and sometimes when it doesn't.]

My first two Twists died because of my stupidity--and I learned that the Twist is built just fine, INCLUDING THE STRENGTH OF MAIN WHEEL GEAR. If you don't CRASH it, the strength of the airframe is perfect. Sorry about that, but it's true. Ask Ghee-Gross, who is on his first Twist, now well over a year old. [I still think he lies, or doesn't push his skills, flying on the edge--or is the best flier I ever knew.]

My flying buddy, MUCH more experienced with the Twist, does flat spins you wouldn't believe. They go on forever at half power; I can't DO true flat spins because my CG is more forward. Likewise hovers that cross the sky with the wind. BUT his approaches to landing are bronco rides, and he bounces on almost every landing--though he has lost nothing more than a screw on his landing gear (poor pre-flight). When I put him TO it, he can land his Twist almost as well as I, consistently. [He says. "When I land, I'm DONE 'flying.' So I just... get her down."]

Either put your CG where it should be, or learn to land better, with more control. That's the challenge of flying: total control, no matter the airframe or CG. Screw about with the Twist's CG at your own risk--and flying limitations. Don't blame the airframe. Your problem is in the mirror. [You can crash that, TOO, but the image remains.] Sorry, but honesty gets you the best lesson about flying.

I flare my Twist just as it stalls, at one INCH above the grass. When you can DO that, the moment between flight and ground-bird is lost in perfection, the ultimate in control, the GOAL of all flight.

Now, somebody, please, tell me how I can fly my Twist forever, without ever landing.

Jack

Old 09-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Jack211

Remember, Left Thumb, you CAN build/repair that center fuse to survive Katrina, BUT, if you do, it will break in places not so easy to fix. THIS PLANE IS DESIGNED TO BREAK JUST WHERE IT DOES, when you crash.

I am now flying my FOURTH Twist. Number 3 has a 45 SuperTigre on it, now four months old, still going strong; number 4 has a new Saito .82a (I love the sound! Yes, overpowered for sure, but a joy to fly--even in 25 mph gusts.) [I have gone through 20 gallons of Wildcat 15% nitro since May 15.] I fly every day, weather permitting, and sometimes when it doesn't.]

My first two Twists died because of my stupidity--and I learned that the Twist is built just fine, INCLUDING THE STRENGTH OF MAIN WHEEL GEAR. If you don't CRASH it, the strength of the airframe is perfect. Sorry about that, but it's true. Ask Ghee-Gross, who is on his first Twist, now well over a year old. [I still think he lies, or doesn't push his skills, flying on the edge--or is the best flier I ever knew.]

My flying buddy, MUCH more experienced with the Twist, does flat spins you wouldn't believe. They go on forever at half power; I can't DO true flat spins because my CG is more forward. Likewise hovers that cross the sky with the wind. BUT his approaches to landing are bronco rides, and he bounces on almost every landing--though he has lost nothing more than a screw on his landing gear (poor pre-flight). When I put him TO it, he can land his Twist almost as well as I, consistently. [He says. "When I land, I'm DONE 'flying.' So I just... get her down."]

Either put your CG where it should be, or learn to land better, with more control. That's the challenge of flying: total control, no matter the airframe or CG. Screw about with the Twist's CG at your own risk--and flying limitations. Don't blame the airframe. Your problem is in the mirror. [You can crash that, TOO, but the image remains.] Sorry, but honesty gets you the best lesson about flying.

I flare my Twist just as it stalls, at one INCH above the grass. When you can DO that, the moment between flight and ground-bird is lost in perfection, the ultimate in control, the GOAL of all flight.

Now, somebody, please, tell me how I can fly my Twist forever, without ever landing.

Jack

Old 09-04-2005, 10:13 PM
PropSpinner
My Feedback: (15)

I flew my Twist today for the second time. Still trying to get the CG and control throws right. My favorite thing to do is an inverted flat spin. It seems to do a flat spin better inverted than right side up. At one point I actually had the plane spinning up instead of down. Hope that taking some weight out of the nose will help with aerobatics. Have around two dozen flights on it and haven't had any problems with it breaking. I put wire landing gear on it from a tower uproar and every once in a while I have to bend them inward after a hard landing. What a great little plane!
Old 09-04-2005, 10:36 PM
mgruenba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PropSpinner,

Do you mind please telling me which controls you used to get the inverted climbing flatspin going and also how to recover from it? Do you just center the sticks? Doy uo give throttle or is there some other input?

Regards,
Mike
Old 09-04-2005, 11:01 PM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Jack211

Jack

I must disagree.. I've built a few twists now and have learned that if you put a little gorilla glue in two areas, you can significantly extend the survivability of crashes without having to worry about it "breaking in areas that are harder to fix.

1) behind the canopy where it is known to break. Reinforce those joints.

2) The connection between the front half of the plane and the back.. meaning where the back of the fuel tank area joins the area over the leading edge of the wing.

This adds nearly no weight but mine has survived many landings that other twists have not.

Sachin
Old 09-04-2005, 11:26 PM
PropSpinner

Mike,

I start out 3 or 4 mistakes high. I have the elevator on high rates. I start out flying inverted very slow and then push the rudder to the left and the elevator up. I work the throttle to control the speed of the spin. While I'm still 1 or 2 mistakes high I center the rudder and pull back on the stick to do a half loop and bring the plane upright. Sometimes I fly out straight still inverted then roll upright with the ailerons. Remember I'm new to this too. Do any of you experts have suggestions?
Old 09-05-2005, 05:29 PM
deadstickpilot

is the hanger 9 twist good for a second plane? im looking forward to 3d flight.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:17 PM
E-Mo
My Feedback: (12)

here are some stick inputs to do a inverted flat spin

pic #1: stall the plane and cross the sticks

pic #2 as the rotation tightens up center the aile

pic#3 feed in some right aile to keep the plane from flopping out

with my fa82 i pour on the coals to speed up the spin
tada an inverted climbing flat spin! as for when to pull out
it is all up to personal prefrence
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93276.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	320139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71795.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	320140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15534.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	320141  
Old 09-05-2005, 06:24 PM
S-a-v-a-g-e

ORIGINAL: deadstickpilot

is the hanger 9 twist good for a second plane? im looking forward to 3d flight.
I would like to know the same!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:42 PM
PropSpinner

I personally prefer one of the Stik series planes as a second plane. You can get one for about the same price as a Twist and many RC hobby sites sell them. I think they fly better than a trainer. They are sure easier to land. If you have someone who is willing to stick with you to insure your success you might be able to move right into a Twist but I had a lot of fun with my stick before getting a Twist. If you do get a Twist balance it more toward the front CG mark and use the lower end of the control surface throws. Also have a club INSTRUCTOR help you get it trimmed on the first flight. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2005, 07:17 PM
S-a-v-a-g-e

Hey,

I would defenitly have my instructor take it up for its maiden flight and get everything trimmed out for me. I would also have it set on low rates. Horizon recommends a Saito .72. Is this a good choice?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:28 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: S-a-v-a-g-e

Horizon recommends a Saito .72. Is this a good choice?
The .72 would be a fine choice. The Twist is not choosy about engines. Anything 2 or 4 stroke from .40TS to maybe a .91FS. I dipped into the savings and got a .63YS for mine. This pulls it along pretty good.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:50 PM
S-a-v-a-g-e

Man, those YS are expensive! How much did you drop on it? They Saito cost a good clip to... I found the Saito .72 for $220. Does anybody carry them for any cheaper than that?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:15 AM
ghee-grose

ORIGINAL: mgruenba

Hi guys,

I am new to this thread. Last weekend, My Dad gave me a Twist with an O.S. 50 SX and JR DS 811 Digital servos.

Regards,
Mike

What's your Dad up to lately? I remember him getting addicted to the Twist about the time that I did.

Glad you're loving it and having fun!!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Waldopepperaxel

I have put an OS .70 Surpass II 4 stroke on my Twist, I have been reading thread after thread looking for something about that set up, and have found none, anyway I can't wait to fly mine this Sat, because of everything I've read from you other Twist flyers, regardless of the weather I will be there, I do like that about our club were always there rain, wind or shine, unless its completely pooring out anyway, I have heard alot about the Saito 72 and the os .46 and a few other engines and everybody seems to be happy with what their using, so I hope I can add to the set up by coming back with a good story with the .70 I'll post my days events September 10 or 11 with a couple of pics I hope. Fly Dangerously.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:05 PM
S-a-v-a-g-e

Hey guys, I am having second thoughts about putting a $220 engine in a $100 plane! That just sounds kind of silly to me! Also since this is only my second plane I think the .72 maybe to much power for me in a 3D plane. So will a EVOLUTION .46NT power this plane well? My trainer has that motor and it seems slow. But then again it does have that 3 blade prop and different flywheel. Will the regular version perform any better? The twist is also like 2 pounds lighter so that will help it alot.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:31 PM
PropSpinner

I have a TT 46 on mine. I'm no 3D pilot so I don't know if it will hover. It does aerobatics well and will pull vertical as long as you can hold it straight up. I did everything I could to keep the weight down but I don't have any way of weighing it. I don't see the need to put a expensive motor on this plane. I'm saving that money for other things like a better transmitter. See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37782.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	321061  
Old 09-07-2005, 07:01 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Waldopepperaxel

I have put an OS .70 Surpass II 4 stroke on my Twist, I have been reading thread after thread looking for something about that set up, and have found none, anyway I can't wait to fly mine this Sat, because of everything I've read from you other Twist flyers, regardless of the weather I will be there, I do like that about our club were always there rain, wind or shine, unless its completely pooring out anyway, I have heard alot about the Saito 72 and the os .46 and a few other engines and everybody seems to be happy with what their using, so I hope I can add to the set up by coming back with a good story with the .70 I'll post my days events September 10 or 11 with a couple of pics I hope. Fly Dangerously.

I have been flying mine with an OS 70 Surpass II with a 13 x 4W prop and it flies the plane very well. Pulls it straight up at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I had to mount the motor as far forward on the mount as I could to balance at 4 3/4 inches with no weight and to allow room for the rear mounted carb. Throttle linkage is a typical connection of a four stroke where it comes out from the firewall below the carb past the throttle arm and loops up back to connect to the throtttle arm. This motot has a long shaft on it so I used a Higley Ninety Hub for a spinner along with a Higley lite lock nut to double lock the whole thing. A few posts back I show some pictures of the spinner and throttle linkage.

Check these out. (Edited for links)

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1674813/anchors_2960102/mpage_79/key_/anchor/tm.htm#2960102[/link]

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1674813/anchors_3299889/mpage_104/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3299889[/link]
Old 09-07-2005, 08:03 PM
S-a-v-a-g-e

PropSpinner, it looks like the EVO is bored out a little more, so I think it would have a little bit more power. Plus about the same price. Has anyone had any experience with the EVO .46NT in the twist?

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Jack211

Hey guys, I am having second thoughts about putting a $220 engine in a $100 plane! That just sounds kind of silly to me! Also since this is only my second plane I think the .72 maybe to much power for me in a 3D plane. So will a EVOLUTION .46NT power this plane well? My trainer has that motor and it seems slow. But then again it does have that 3 blade prop and different flywheel. Will the regular version perform any better? The twist is also like 2 pounds lighter so that will help it alot.

Thanks.
Savage, I have two Twists: one with a .45 SuperTigre; one with a $250 .82a Saito. Both planes have infinite vertical ability. (I run the Saito at less than half throttle most of the time.) Point is, it's NOT about the COST of the plane (being too much a prostitute for a high-grade driver). It's about performance. The performance of the Twist is far, far beyond its cost. She's a class act beyond her cheap threads. Think "Pretty Woman," poverty-stricken background, meets Saito-sama, the Shogun of the airfield.

Best wishes for you, Pretty Woman, and Saito-sama. The 72 should be plu-perfect for her.

Jack
Old 09-07-2005, 08:54 PM
S-a-v-a-g-e

$220 is too much for my second plane. I know the performance kicks ass, but droping all that money and only running at half throttle? Come man, I would rather speed $90 and have just as good reliablity and actually the power. Know if I spend the $220 that quickly adds to the cost of the plane. I could have the EVO .46 and almost have enough left over for my radio. I dont know Ill think about it.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:32 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks.
You will see guys in this thread have put humongus engines on this nice flying little plane. A tribute to the design of the Twist that it holds up so well to such abuse. You don't need that to have a sweet flying plane, 3D or otherwise. Your Evo 46 is pretty much toned down with the 3 blade prop to make for a docile basic trainer. With a 2 blade prop of appropriate size, it makes much more power. Your trainer flies slow because of that - by design. You will find your Evo to give excellent power on the Twist. As for your trainer being "slow", so should be your twist. For different reasons. A 3D plane with thick airfoil and oversize control surfaces is designed to fly at or near the stall. On this kind of design, speed kills (the airplane). It is important to prop it right. I have had good results with an APC 12X4 on my MDS .48. I recently took the MDS off for servicing and temporarily replaced it with a little Super Tigre GS40. A sweet engine, but not a power house. Guess what - it flies just fine on this 40. I see a difference in spool up time, and it is definately not in the same power level as the MDS, but your Evo certainly is. I will eventually put the MDS back on, but in the meantime, I continue to have a ball flying the twist, even with the little ST 40 on it. Go with your Evo. You will like it.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Nubie_1

Well I have the twist with a os 46 in it and it is my second plane and got to fly it for the first time yesterday it will move with the os motor and fly at less than half if your just flying the pattern and slow down realy well for a 3 point landing I had a blast with it yesterday. I did have some help from a club member yesterday in case I needed it since this was a big step from my Alpha but it actually worked out great.

Chris
Old 09-09-2005, 06:22 PM
lettucelord

Hey all, long time no see, i see ghee-grose is still here, well I was flying my twist in the rain, and it soaked the hindge.... so once the weather got better, went to fly, and the wet paper type hindges just let go, elevator came off, put the plane in a look cycle 7 feet above the ground, didnt make it through, and BAM, met the earth with a pretty hard smacking sound. Completely totalled, but soon to get another one, with the thunder tiger .61 in it, and a 13/5 prop, the thing is just a rocket with a wing.
-Scott
Old 09-09-2005, 07:04 PM
bldrums

Here's 1 more Twist in the air! This thing is a blast ! .82 Saito 14x 4 w apc. Hard to believe I got such a great plane ( sorry , Hanger 9 ) for 89.00 bucks. I might grab a spare just in case they go "no longer available".
What other plane is out there for 100.00 buck or less and this nice? Please let me know. I kinda "stumbled" on to the Twist not looking for a 3d type airplane so maybe I am missing out on some other very good buys.

thanks, Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.