Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Old 02-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Jack211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Crater Lake (mostly mine). Got it, Tim, but where is the Twist? You keep coming up with these awesome pix of profile planes. What IS that beauty in the red and black bikini monokote? And I never see any of them in the air, either. Do they fly or just sit on the sand and soak up sun?

Down, Waldo, did you see what he has on his birds? WEELS! No, WEALS, no, darn it, WHEELS! Is that correct? I forget how to even spell 'em, any more.

Waldo, we just got in 12 cases (48 gallons) of Wildcat Xtra Premium, 15% nitro fuel. I wish I were close enough to share it. That 12 gallons MAY get us through March. Maybe through April if this snow doesn't clear. I can't see 100 yards today. No flying.

Picture below shows DownTrodden at Swedetown Ponds, getting into his hover. He was lower before but then I couldn't see the Twist, so I made him take it higher. This was Jan. 28, a gray, cold day. There's a Katana V2 (OMP) in the foreground with my Uproar. My Twist .61 is waiting on the table.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74648.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	407371  
Old 02-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Waldopepperaxel

NICE PIC !!!! great shot of all the planes and the TWist Hanging over the snow, AWESOME, and I do believe TimC is showing off the 4 Star 40 I had that plane for 7 years and I could pick a cherry off your nose with it, After its 3rd total rebuild When it came to the 4th, I decided to rest its old busted bones of re-glued parts and worn down skin, and placed it with a tear in my eye into the burning Fire pit at our house party one night. for that is truley the only way I feel to respect a plane who did so well for so many years, I just couldn't throw it in the trash, I believe there is a Pic of it in its glory days in my profile.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Here she is

Name:	Vt58557.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	407375  
Old 02-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Jack211

Yeah, Waldo, the wind is your friend--and that's a hard lesson for newbies to learn. If nothing else, Twisting teaches a sensitivity to wind and its often quirky and capricious behaviors. In higher winds at the Ponds, we discovered a fairly consistent roil when the wind is at our backs, going over the road, over the 4 foot drop to the pond surface. It's slammed me down more than once. We have a drainage ditch at our other site that produces those same roils and updrafts.

Boy, you mention that Sig Kadet.... Down and I immediately recall HIS Kadet Senior, beautiful blue and white bird, which Down wanted to use for a camera platform, so we could take digital pix of the Twists (to stay on topic) IN THE AIR, flying cheek by jowl, like a chase plane. Down took his time building that bird and wouldn't maiden it until the weather was just right. Put a high-powered RX bat in it, too, just to be safe for long flights. He checked it out in three or four flying sessions, flew well, lazy, graceful, gentle, unlike his Twist. He was ready to put his camera aboard, but decided on one more flying session.

Understand, Down is the paragonic example of "control" in RC flying. When I first saw him fly, I couldn't believe his control. Soooo, as he's up in the air with the Kadet Senior, making lazy loops and rolls, I prepared my Twist for a flight. Then I heard him say: "Heads up! I have no control." That startled the heck outta me and I looked up to see that big bird making a fast circle back toward the field. The starboard wing kept dropping, the bird gaining speed all the while, going down. When it was 5 yards over the field, it was vertical, just a blue/white blur, the monokote on the wings flapping like you wouldn't believe. 90 mph? Then the wings came off, a yard above the ground, and he augured in, planting balsa.

An on the scene autopsy made us suspect the on/off switch, maybe battery connection... but with that beautiful bird in such a mess, it was hard to tell. A week later, Down brought that expensive NiMH bat to the field and showed me a pinhole in it, showing some heat. Evidently, that expensive, new bat had gone sour, and though it showed a good charge initially, it was losing it fast as he preflighted then put her up. In the air, the battery crapped out. No control, the kinda flight nightmares are made of, hm?

The good thing about flying with Down is he takes those kinda days in stride. If you fly, you're gonna crash. Me? I don't crash any more.... I don't crash any less, either.

Jack
Old 02-13-2006, 11:22 AM
TimC

Jack, that is a great shot of Down and his Twist. What is that structure in the background. It and the gray skies give the photo a sense of gothic gloom. Is there a brass monkey just off camera missing a couple vital parts? I'd send a photo of my Twist in the air, but I have to figure out a way to fly and take the photo too. I'm usually the only one out there flying. Oh well, life in the boonies.
Waldo, it's always sad to have to put down an old faithful plane. You did the decent thing with the vikings funeral. On my best days, I'm not too coordinated. On a bad day, having the 4 star saves the day.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Jack211

Ah, not a profile plane at all. And, Tim, I did go back and see yours was ORANGE and black, not red.

Nice pix, both cases. Yes, if we could ship our old, much used and abused birds out on the lake on a pile of burning bushes, that would be good. The family fire is a great alternative.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Jack211

Tim, the structure in the pic's background is an old mine head. If Lake Superior forms a wolf's head on the map, we live in the mouth, Michigan's Keweenaw peninsula. It's CALLED "Copper Country," where from 1840 to 1967 they took billions of pounds of copper out of the rocky ground to electrify and industrialize the nation. We are now the Keweenaw National Historical Park. The pond in my back yard, Boston Pond, where I run my Labradors, is a man-made reservoir with an earthen damn, not high, built in 1860, which water was used to cool the engines of industry for a copper mine just up the road less than a mile.

And, by golly, Tim and Waldo, I wish to heck we could get together. Tim, I know about flying alone, and it's just not the same as with somebody like DownTrodden, riding my butt about something or other--and vice versa. Ho, ho. But when I need to fly, I need to fly.

You guys are "family." Mi casa es su casa. You get up this way, you've got a hangar--and a place to fly.

Well, I couldn't fly today, so I've got to go use the... &*%^^$@ RealFlight simulator. Yech.

Jack
Old 02-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Downtrodden

Now that's what I'm talking about! I thoroughly enjoyed reading the many posts today! I'll let you be the judge...today's lectures were full of terms like Sodium Dismustase, dehydroepiandrosterone and lipofuscin...now wouldn't it be more stimulating to be discussing rate of discharge, over-propping or power to weight ratios? Staying on topic....My Twist accompanies me as far as the parking lot at F.U. (Finlandia University) I even spend time between classes sitting in the van rummaging through my field box or conditioning my rx packs. (Keeping in touch with reality.) I've even toyed with the idea of putting together my electric Yak (foamy) and flying it over the rooftops!
I've been thinking that the Twist might be a good candidate for a smoke system. I'm sure the 61FX could handle the extra weight but it sure would be nice to hear from anyone that has attempted it.
Keep the stories and pics coming. I might even make it to the weekend. Bon Soir. Peace.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:12 PM
TimC

I just posted a reply Downtrodden and it disappeared. Check post number 2773 in this thread. Dan is not an active member it looks like, so a PM will probably not work. He said the smoke system added 1 1/2-2 lbs. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...tm.htm#3453289

Old 02-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Sorry to get off the Twist for a second, but I have to tell you this story,,, The Plane that Flys itself.

It was really strange to hear about Downs' Kadet spinning to her death, when they hit its a balsa garage sale,, I still have mine (Knock on wood) but another friend of mine wasn't so fortunate, we were throwing baseball bats and anything else in hands range to try and knock his out of the sky when his battery died or came unplugged, the last command was a right turn, and by golly she went up for 25 - 35 minutes at about half throttle power, os .40 10 oz tank, So with a slight wind of about 2 mph, conditions were perfect for a soaring bird like the Kadet, and she flew big wide continuous climbing circles over our head, then it was like a pin head in the sky, and you know how big that bird looks,,, then it was heading for the great ball of gas in the sky we were all screaming at this point Noooo,,,,, RUN OUT OF GAS,,,, BREAK A WING,,,, ETC.... then she vanished from sight like a pizza at a frat house, it was gone, but we could still hear the engine, so we all shut up and listened in total silence for another 10 to 15 minutes, mind you there were about 12 of us there, then we heard the engine quit, so we started looking up again, about 20 minutes later we could see a small reflection of light, Yup she was heading back down in the same circular motion, nice big wide gliding circles, every lap we could see another reflection off the sun, we couldn't believe it, we thanked God and our universe and we all packed up our stuff and jumped into 4 different cars, and went racing after her, we followed her for about 5 -10 miles stopping and watching,,, where would she set down??? longer story short, she was last seen soaring over Delmar, NY 15 miles from Suny at albany (our field back then) we never knew what became of her. it was probably the longest flight I have ever witnessed, we tracked that baby for over an hour and 15 minutes from when we lost control until we saw it go behind some trees at least another 2 miles away from where we were, no exaderation, my same friend bought another one and the same thing happened again,,,,!!!! only we got this one back about 4 miles from the field, and it landed on the highway (Route 66) no damage except a busted prop. he doesn't fly anymore, but I'm sure he will again one day. every time I take that bird off I always wonder where I'll be heading in a moments notice and If I'll ever see her again. I always give her that little pat on the top of the wing and thank her for over 14 years of service without one repair job on it ever. not even a broken prop.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Sorry,, I forgot to add this, and you all have a place to fly and a hanger as well if you get out this way, thanks for the offer. it would be awesome to get a Twist convention together somewhere, and is the twist video contest for bragging rights still going on??
Old 02-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Jack211

Waldo, what a heckuva story! The plane that wouldn't come back. The pilot must have been abusing HER somethin' awful.

And, Waldo, if it weren't YOU telling that story, I wouldn't believe it.

This crazy hobby.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:54 PM
TimC

The same invite is offered by me. If any of you are out west and find yourself in the Owens Valley, be sure and stop for a visit. The winds can be fierce at times. I've seen the paint sandblasted off cars in a parking lot. October is usually the nicest month here. Waldo, that story about the Kadet was a killer.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Downtrodden

Thanks Tim, that's certainly one way to go about it. I'm thinking about a pumpless system, so the weight should be greatly reduced without the pump or battery don't you think? I'm curious also as to the smoke generating capabilities of a .61 two-stroke. Someone out there must have tried it?

Well, Jack the wind is calm, but the skies are grey.
The question is, will you fly today?
The planes are loaded and the batteries full,
The sky is calling can you feel it's pull?
Eat those pancakes, down that joe
Zip up your fly, its time to go!
48 gallons just have to go! [&o]

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. *Staying on topic* The above mentioned "smoke system conversation" is in regards to the TWIST!

As always Peace.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:16 AM
ghee-grose

Guys, it's once again a joy to log onto RC Universe and read up on THE twist thread! Definitely a great group of guys here.

I went out yesterday and instead of repairing the rudder on my Twist I took my Sig Somethin Extra down, charged her up real quick, and started warming up that brand new OS 50 SX. I had a little mixture adjusting to do since it was last summer (90 degrees and humid) the last time she ran. After warming it up and driving her around on the ground for a minute it was time for lift off!

Winds were about 8mph out of the West and my field beside my house still has very low grass from the winter so off she went. With that engine and an APC 12.25x3.75 prop she was off the ground in an instant. Dang that's a big plane!!! at least compared to all my electrics. It was good to hear the scream of that engine as I was doing full throttle low down passes. I forgot how loud that thing is with that custom pipe on there. It sounded like there was somebody in the area racing a quad runner or something. I flew out two tanks and called it quits since I've got a Nicad receiver pack in there that hasn't been cycled in nearly a year. Better safe than sorry.

The last landing was a dead stick but when I got to it I noticed fuel still in the line so I decided to taxi it back to the garage instead of carrying it. I had my glow igniter in my pocket but not my starter... no big deal, then engine is warm it will start with a quick flip right??? I put then igniter on it and flagrantly flipped at it with my right hand... and BOOMP! [X(] Yup, I wasn't careful enough and it bit me. Not bad, but enough to hurt a cold finger and draw some quick blood. [>:] The first thought that passed through my mind was "that was from my Twist, for not flying her". I went inside and dobbed it with some New Skin. If you guys haven't used any of this stuff.. it's wonderful for cuts. It's kinda like CA for your skin.

Name:	Ki19805.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	407996  
Old 02-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Waldopepperaxel

DownT,
I was told you really need a pump system for GREAT smoke, but for 2 strokes you can feed into a certain (sweet spot, if you will) on the muffler, At home I have a few tips and solutions for using the position of the tube on the muffler and where you should drill into it to produce great smoke,,, Something about where the temperature of the exhaust coming into the muffler meets the incoming smoke fuel, and then the temperature and mixture as it exits the pipe once correct should be producing the nice smoke, I'll post it on here as soon as I find it. I just haven't wanted to start drtilling a bunch of holes in the muffler to find the sweet spot, I'm sure there is a method.
I've been wanting a smoke system for the twist for a long time too I'm hoping to get one on there now that I'm all moved in and am slowly locating all my stuff, I've actually been trying to get some advice for 2 stroke smoke systems for a couple of years for my Bipe, but our people up here always say its to small of a motor and not to waste my time, I don't believe it... so I have found some systems that all you need to do is figure out where the best spot in the muffler is to run the line, Trial & error I guess but its a start.

And yes, Thanks Tim as well, I may just have to take my Twist on tour this year.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:27 AM
TimC

ORIGINAL: ghee-grose

"that was from my Twist, for not flying her".
Remember ghee, "Hell hath no fury like a Twist scorned."
Old 02-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Waldopepperaxel

OW,,,, I misss that feeling.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Downtrodden

Ouch! I hope Jack reads your post about the new skin as he in known for closing his wounds with CA, no kidding!

My thought, regarding the smoke system, is to introduce a brass coil into the muffler as a method of pre-warming the oil. I would then route the output of the coil to a location as near to the exhaust port as feasable. This sysem should provide sufficient heat to create gobs of smoke. (I hope!)

I had to run to Wally world and pick up some de-icer for my next outing. Rubbing alcohol just doesn't cut the snow and castor. They sell this cheap de-icing windshield washer fluid that has performed outstandingly in the past. The color is not the same as I remember it to be and I'm wondering if it's the same stuff. Oh well, proof is in doing. I wish my children were as good at learning from my mistakes as Jack is!

Peace.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Jack211

Tim, Waldo, you guys have fallen from great heights in my esteem. You HAD to answer Down's questions about smoke systems, didn't ya?

Understand, if HE gets one, I have to. ....It all began when he said, "You oughta try the Twist." It's all been down hill since--and beaucoup bucks down the tubes. I won't tell ya what happened after he said, "We oughta try 4 strokes, huh?" Suffice to say, HE doesn't have one. I have two.

Yes, Gary, I have thinned blood (by meds), so when I bleed it's a LOT. I've found that you wipe the wound clean, put a torn bit of Downy (or some such towel) on the wound, then add CA. Voila. Bleeding stops.

I'm just glad that you're dumb enough to catch a finger in a prop. No sympathy here. As the man said, "A Twist scorned...." I'm STILL envious/angry with you for flying ONE Twist for over a year.

Waldo, you'd be proud of me. I flew three ariframes today (the Katana, the Big Stik, and the Model Tech Magic) with another guy, Rick. I flew RICK'S Magic on the buddy cord. He's still learning it all, but he put that Magic down with no help from me as if it were a Valentine bouquet, nose in the wind, wings straight, perfect. He's fast learning that the wind CAN be a friend. And he's learning his left hand, the THROTTLE, for controlled approaches into the wind. He may have left a one inch trail in the snow, NOT more. The winds were at 11 mph ON THE GROUND, 17 mph at 10 meters and gusting to 32 mph. That's when Rick said he wouldn't go up again. Wise. With 60 acres of flat in front of us, upwind, I KNOW that wind was higher at ground level than the 10mph reported by the local weather station.

As I was putting MY birds away, the wind blew his Magic, protected from the wind by his truck, OFF the table. Onto its back. No damage. Those Magics are tough birds.

But, oh, boy, did we play in the wind. We flew backwards many a time. Waldo, the Big Stik .60 is just like your Sig Kadet, as you prolly know. And the new ST .61 did yeoman service (in it's third and fourth flights; broke her in Saturday with Down's help {he IS good for SOME things}); no flameouts--and I'm happy about that. I'd have had to recover it in the next county.

I was saving the Twist for last, but I just got too durned cold (29 degrees, whatever wind chill)--and at 32 mph, gentle gusts, I thought better of it. Gary, I DID, first flight, kill the ST .61 before take-off. She wasn't warm, and turned that big MAS 13 x 5 prop, carefully, carefully, with my gloved finger. She popped off in reverse, stopped, another flip and she was going--no blood. All my taxiing on the ground helped teach Rick how to taxi using ailerons in high winds. The Big Stik ALMOST flipped over. Ailerons saved her.

All birds home safe in the coop. What a day of flying! I think the only guys stupid enough to fly today are in this room.

Jack
Old 02-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Downtrodden

Hmmm...Jack, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't I the one that had a Saito in the stable first? Now, I know you're rolling your eyes in the back of your head and balking at the very recollection[:@], but be honest with these good folks here and fess up. Like so many other good ideas, I don't always get around to implementing them (raising seven children has made debt a constant companion), but I do consider it good form to give these ideas a "public airing out". For instance, when you asked me about what future engine/Twist combination I had in mind. The Saito 82A/Twist combo, remember? Now the Saito 82 and the Twist is without question an exemplary pairing, as you well know, but can I be held liable for not knowing the fuel guzzling characteristics of that engine...I think not. I must insist that you not hold our good friends here to blame! It was just me thinking out loud. again. Let me have you consider this...that it's neither them nor I that is to blame, it's the addiction[:'(]. Open your eyes and see what's so clearly visible to those around you[8D]. Your eyes glass over when a new Fly RC magazine comes in the mail or worse yet a catalog with new offerings[:-]. Your conversations revolve around whether or not your next Tower order will meet the $30-off, criteria. Who is that has 48 GALLONS of fuel in the garage[X(]? (Jack refuses to have his domicile be known as the "Boston Fuel Depot") I know your pain[]. Ponder this question.. who do you think is the devil on my shoulder[>:]...flying while I'm stuck behind a desk[]. I only have eight gallons and and so little time to practice[]. Freud would say I have "fuel envy. "The pressure is indeed on[:@]. The fear of being dethroned inabsentia is oh, so real!
What is it? Repartee or banter? Jack, could it be that I might be misconstrued? Tell me it isn't so.

See what happens when you're separated from your flying buddy?
To wit.

Peace.

Can you tell I discovered the smiley faces? Or maybe its just the lack of a better word.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Waldopepperaxel

I am Proud Jack,

I love to hear the stories of many planes in the sky from one pilot, especially on a gentle gusty day, I am shaking all over lately, for I am in what feels like detox of Twisting, especially since I brought everything up to the garage last Saturday and had everything plugged in and the glow plug heating up the engine only to discover the empty fuel container [&:] but now that all the holidays and birthdays and buy something for someone elsed days are behind me, Its again time to take care of me. 1st fuel for my Twist fix, then the sky's the limit, I need a good digital Camera too for filming some good video of the Twist to post.

And there is nothing like a good quick Zap a gap fix for those opened wounds.. been doing that for years... tried 5 minute epoxy once, didn't quite work as good, the thickness stopped the bleeding immediately, and it gets pretty hot while curing, but I don't reccomend it at all.

48 GALLONS OF FUEL?? !!!! Wow, I'm lucky to get through 5 a year, I need to do some more flying obviously.

And yes I had to bite on the smoker question, in hopes that more info and hints could be brought to the table before I start drilling.
The OS .70 Surpass running a little rich does produce some nice smoke during a Twist hover or Harrier, or when ever the throttle is low and and has to be gunned back and forth, it looks great, but I need to get the real mccoy in there.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Jack211

Down, yeah, yeah, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa--and the adddiction. And, yeah, you are missed out there.

But that Saito you SAY you have is a ghost (did I see it one time in the labyrinth of your shop?) Have you ever started it?

But you see what I mean, guys, I can't get away with ANYthing, not even in fun. DownTrodden's always there to make me see... "reality." Ugh.

And Rick paid for the Magic and one case of fuel, so I now have money to plan for my March plane. A 4 Star 40, a Pizzaz? Another Model Tech Extra (I miss that bird in high winds)? Tim calls the Pizzaz the "Daddy" of the Twist. I wonder why. I've been looking for one on line and they seem to have disappeared, Tim. By the way, great story in Club Saito about the fella with the Pizzaz who wouldn't listen about tuning those things. You made me laugh out loud.

Everyone says the secret of the 4 strokes is tuning, but no one seems to follow the book--as I did--and EVERYONE seems to have the "definitive" method for breaking in and tuning. My two Saitos have been quiet of late. One's in a box, recently back from a rehab at Horizon; t'other is on the Can Do 60, waiting for me to get a vehicle that will carry it AND a few other birds all to onct.

It's bitter cold--and will be for several days--and I don't think I can submit my arthritic hands to that cold again today. So the P-51D's wing will get attention in the shop. When the Saito 1.0 flamed out as I turned for a "low" approach last summer, I put her in and broke the wing tip almost off. Balsa everywhere, but she'll fly again--if I get to work. She's the most expensive bird I own, and the per flight cost is at just about 50 bucks. So she WILL fly again. [I shoulda bought three Twists!--and a smoker.]

Jack
Old 02-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Jack211

Waldo, next summer, given a nice day, I'm gonna rent a trailer and take ALLLLLL my birds to the field and fly each one as many times as light allows. Down gets away flying one bird, his beloved Twist, mostly (EXCLUSIVELY JUST NOW, since all his others he cares to fly are crapped out and he has no time to fix 'em). Ah, let's see, just for fun.... That trailer would have to take... a Gentle Lady, a Spectra, the .61 Twist, the Saito 82a Twist, the 40 and 60 Can Dos, the Katana V2, the Big Stik 60, the Uproar OS 50, the Lanier Dart .60, and the ST .51 Sturdy Birdy II (Special), and the P-51 D. Oh, oh, I'm gonna have to get another Saito, the 125, I think, for that bird. The 1.0 is on the Can Do 60. Is there a banker in the crowd? I'll need a loan.

I often wonder that, because I don't concentrate on the Twist, I'm hurting my flying with her. The fingers do different things with every different bird.

Oh, gees, the snow has stopped, the dove gray is brightening, and, wow, there's a piece of blue in that sky. Hmmm, I just may have to change my plans. To heck with the fingers and the P-51. Winds are gusting to only 28 mph now.

If you wish to see how Down and I figure our weather, go to www.mtukrc.org/met/trends.htm. That weather station is only a mile from where I sit, 6 miles from Swedetown Ponds, about 14 from our other field, so we pretty much know the conditions. The temp, now, is 18, about 8 wind chill. Oh, gosh.... There's the sun.

So much for the meanderings of a flyer without a flight plan.

Jack
Old 02-15-2006, 11:44 AM
TimC

ORIGINAL: Jack211

She's the most expensive bird I own, and the per flight cost is at just about 50 bucks. So she WILL fly again. [I shoulda bought three Twists!--and a smoker.]
I know what you mean about cost per flight Jack. I had a Kougar that had a $500 cost per flight. (Or $10 per second) Hanger 9 had a pretty good seller with the mid wing Pizazz. They redesigned it to a removable and somewhat lower winged Twist, along with with a few other changes. Then they dropped the Pizazz. This was about two years ago. If you can find a Pizazz in a hobby shop, grab it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.