Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Downtrodden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D

I'll add my two cents....the T _ _ _ T wasn't designed to go fast. I've watched a pilot or two zip around the field at full throttle only to discover torn hinges, broken joints in the ailerons, etc. The .91 would give you everything you need and then some, just mind the throttle. I've been thinking along those very same lines, unfortunately I have a few unbuilt planes that could use the engine as well. I broke down and started fixing my U Can Do .60 smoker with the 1.40 ST in it, rather than continue to clean my shop. (See what happens when I open up a little floor space!) Lowered the fuel tank, reinforced the landing gear mounting, repaired the smoke coil/muffler apparatus, installed a smoke tank three times the size of the one that was in there, removed the remote starter wire (it ran past my receiver and caused glitching), and milled a spacer for the prop nut. It should be ready to go by Friday. Look out!

Peace

Downtrodden
Old 06-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Spitfire222

Yup, I'm in no way looking for a speed demon here. Especially after seeing that video in the crash forum of the Laser 200 losing its entire tail to flutter because the pilot seemed to think he had a racer on his hands! [:-] Hopefully I can finish up the Twist tomorrow, and maiden this weekend. [8D]
Old 06-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Go with the .91 You'll love it, put the battery behind the wing, that will aide in the weight thing, My .70 surpass weighs 23oz .... I just had to say Something.... phewww thanks..
Old 06-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Jack211

Waldo, I know Down has a 350 Chevy engine unused in his lot. I don't know why he doesn't try that on a Twist--or on the Can Do 60--why else would they call it "Can Do"? He also has a tub, I think, cast iron, that would accept that 350 engine. I don't know what sort of wing he'd use, but he's inventive. Boy, wouldn't that be great. Rmmmm, rmmmmm, rummmm!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Downtrodden

Oh yeah..........Waldo..........about that tub? I've been saving it for you, but if I keep it in the backyard for much longer I'll have to find some religious statuary and create a soap scum grotto.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Waldopepperaxel

I like Jack's Idea Down, I say strap that 351 on that tub and maybe you could find a couple of refrigerator doors for the wings, and a couple of dishwasher doors for the tail feathers and let that baby rip, [>:] the good thing is,, there are already hinges on both types of doors. If you do try it, I'm glad your flying that thing a couple of states away, I don't think I would want to be around if that baby came crashing down. but thats why Jack totes a one eyed remembrance device, and the gas prices would kill you alone. Basically all I'm saying is, daisy's will be growing in that tub long before its on my porch. even in your weather.

Oh yeah,,,,, ITS STILL RAINING
Old 06-08-2006, 08:09 PM
2HI2C

WOW
I'm sorry it rains there all the time, We get to fly almost every day. The only thing we have to contend with is the wind, take offs & flying is OK but the landings can take your breath once in a while. But that is what makes it fun. Still haven't finished repairing the kids 4star but we did get his new evo .46 in his PTS mustang so he gets to fly. Still don't let him fly the twist yet but he hounds me every day about it. My texan & corsair get a lot of hangar time since the twist came along. Got a good start on my Giant TF P - 51, going to put a Fuji 64 in it, over kill but what fun it will be. I'm done now.

__________________________________________________ _________
If you remember the 70s you weren't there.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:27 PM
toothpick

howdy Ya'll im flying a twist and a phoenix future both with the same motor and i must admit the twist burns the future without much trouble at all . and im now going to get a 72 saito and use that in the twist !!!!!!!! [8D][8D][8D]
Old 06-08-2006, 08:30 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toothpick, that must get old having to change out the engine every time you want to fly the other plane. The Saito ought to pull the Twist right along.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:36 PM
chadvone
My Feedback: (2)

Last week at the nslhs there was a Twist hanging from the ceiling. Had a price of 75 bucks on her. All built, just wanting engine and radio gear. I walked out without it.
I have found an excuse to go back. If it is still there I may once again own a Twist.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Jack211

Tim, take it easy on toothpick. Not everybody has YOUR money to spend on TWO engines. [DownT has 22 engines, he confessed to me today.] Some folks have to WORK for a livin'. [I don't any more, thank goodness.] If 'pick has facile fingers for constantly unbolting and bolting an engine on different planes, let the Twist gods bless him.

Chad, you are sick. $75 for a Twist? And you walked away? Sick, sick, sick---or too much tequila.

Oh, look hard, if you're interested in gliding, at the Hobbico UpStar, advertised in the recent Tower Super Saver News, excellent ARF, well thought out. $87.99--and it REALLY goes together in four hours, complete with engine, on board battery (1800 MaH/NiMH, no charger). It took my Triton charger only a half hour to bring it to full charge. Gary take note: this is my FIRST venture into electric flying. Woe is me.

It's STILL raining in E. Nassau, NY? Well, just desserts, I reckon--all that talk about cast iron tubs, refrigerator door wings....

It blew hard today, marvelous clouds, and DownT and I played in the wind, 27 mph gusts. And I WAS able to duplicate the wing-vertical-to-the earth twist (pardon the expression) with the Goldberg 330.

Four hours (lots of BS), two pilots, three birds, all home safe.

You guys... well, just do the best ya can.

J
Old 06-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Downtrodden

It's late. (2:24 a.m.) I'm wondering if I should go out to the van and get my chargers........naw! The U Can Do 1.40 (lol) has three batteries in it. Two 2400mAh 4.8v packs for the receiver and servos and another for the smoke pump. The more gadgets you put on........the more you have to monkey with 'em. Smoke is nice, but I'm starting to rethink my reason for adding MORE residue to the outside of my plane! I plan on putting the flight line in a heavy cloud of smoke, tomorrow. I have to put up with Jack's second hand smoke so I figure it's payback time! I've got 8 minutes of heavy smoke onboard each flight tomorrow..........watch out....and plenty more where that came from! *sigh* It looks like another whole day of baking in 70 degree heat while flying tomorrow. *sigh* *yawn* Night Jimbob, nite Maryellen.......................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Peace

Downtrodden
Old 06-09-2006, 05:09 AM
Downtrodden

Well so much for getting any sleep! Jack, when are you planning to head out there? I might be ready to go by 1:00. Email me your plans.
Thanks.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:15 AM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

So family and friends are getting in the way of Twisting. Had family over for dinner last night, friends coming over tonight, and a wedding to go to at noon tommorow. Those darn loved ones take up too much time. I should be flying in the daylight, and working on planes in the basement till bed time. For some reason my wife wants to visit with me once in a while, and also maintain a social life with our frineds. I just can't figure it out.

Good news is I received my Futaba 7CAP complete with PCM receiver and servo's. Never tried digital servo's before. I hear they have a lot more holding power, and have a more accurate response. I have never had any problems with the good old 3003's. Looking at the ratings, they do not have any more torque, or any quicker travel times. I am told by a trusted RC guru that they are really nice to have. Can anyone tell me what is so great about them?

Adam
Old 06-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Downtrodden

Adam, some folks will argue that it has more model memory while others will argue that it has a built in timer, some will cringe at it's decreased battery life, some will even say they were due for a change..............I say if you don't enjoy it...........find some way to return it! Buyer's Remorse is a biitch isn't it? I was questioning Jack's purchase of one when you consider you can get the 9C for only $60 more.........that 12Mz looks pretty good too, doesn't it? ........but if you bought the 14mz you probably wouldn't need a radio for a year or two, huh? I hope this is of some help................oh, about the family thing.............dead weight............cut it loose and fly..........you can't choose them any more than they can abandon their blood ties, so don't let it keep you grounded.

Peace,

Downtrodden.

Can you tell I haven't slept?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:03 AM
TimC

ORIGINAL: Adam G
Good news is I received my Futaba 7CAP complete with PCM receiver and servo's.
Adam
That's what I'm using with my Twist ( and a few more planes). No buyer's remorse here. I think it's a great radio.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Adam, Your Twist is considered a loved one, Isn't it??? so therefore your wife must spend a considerable amount of time with you and the Twist, (best of both worlds for her) time with A loved one and a hubby.

That is good news Tim,, Enjoy

Chad,,, Tsk tsk tsk

Welcome Toothpick, glad to have you aboard

Kshahan, I think I've figured out my rainy problem, Seeing I have an OS .70 4s on my Twist i will just launch her straight into the sky past the rain and clouds and fly above the clouds
Oh wait,,,,,,,,,, then I won't be able to see it

Did I mention,,,, ITS STILL RAINING ARRRGGGHHHHHH and is suppose to rain tomorrow as well.

but it looks like a break in the action for Sunday - Wednesday, Go figure,,, I start VACATION at 3:30 today Ya hooooooooo I will fly as much as possible, I have plenty of fuel, seeing I've been rained out for the last 3 weeks.

so If you don't hear from me for a while, then consider yourselves blessed
I'll be flying, golfing and away. unless it keeps raining, then I'll be here complaining, (poetry)

Happy days Kids

Old 06-09-2006, 02:30 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waldo,
You are a poet and don't know it as you like to rhyme all the time.

Have a good vacation.... Get a couple of flights in for me while you are at it.....
Old 06-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Jack211

The onlyest problem with the 7CAP is battery duration. I get 3 hrs. plus with the 6EXA, but my new 7CAP gets only two hours--all those screen thingys and timers, I suspect. But the sticks have adjustable tension, you can FEEL the centers much better--and avoid rudder input when you go full throttle from idle. I already have the 7CAP's memory (10 birds) filled. 1 and 2 are the Twists (.61 OS and 82a Saito); 3 is the 330; 4 is the Voyager (yet to maiden); 5 is the UpStar; 6 is the Katana; 7 is the Lanier Dart; 8 is the Dirty Birdy (Sturdy Birdy II); 9 is the Hirundo; 10 is the Big Stik. I need that 9CAP.

But, Adam, the tremendous advantage of digital servos and receiver , hands down, no doubt in my mind, for sure, is that it is EXPENSIVE!

The day, for me, started badly. I felt like Waldo with his rainy weather. First, the brand new Cub Cadet mower, 42", decided to go awry: the cutting platform dropped on one side and I did some damage to the blades when I hit some stones. I got the guy I bought it from to come pick it up and FIX it, like RIGHT NOW. He came and picked it up. (A cotter pin got lost from the cable pinion anchor. I could have fixed it myself, but after blooding two knuckles, I called the guy who sold it to me. For the money I paid for that thing, $1600, just 20 days ago, I shouldn't have to bleed on the gd thing.

Then I got ready to fly. A flying date with DownT and Rick. Put the UpStar, for her maiden flight, into the Jeep with 4 other birds, Yeah, five birds in the Jeep. Count 'em. I turned the key in the Jeep, no start. I had hit a rear light (push for "on") with a tail last night, putting the Big Stik, I suppose, into the Jeep. The interior lights, all six of them, were on all night and killed the bat. I took the bat I use for the Triton charger OUT of the Jeep and jump started her.

Then I got to the field late, 1:30, no one there, though Carl had just mowed the field--and I was ready to fly. I flew for 3 hours before Rick showed up for an hour. Blue skies, nice clouds, a lovely wind, 55 to 60 degrees during that time. That I didn't have to clean castor off it was a big plus--and could turn the engine on and off at will didn't hurt my good feelings about the bird.

At the field, no problems, and I flew for three hours all by myself. Sometimes that is just glorious. The sky was filled with clouds. The winds were steady, though strong, 27 mph gusts, and I had a ball with the 82 Twist, the 330, the Big Stik (I dropped some parachutes for myself, to check the winds), then I flew the HIRUNDO, no great joy. Two 12 minute flights. When Rick came and the winds were just a tad lower, I maidened the new Hobbico UpStar. It did well, but it's not the bird the Hirundo is.

'Twas the first time I got 5 birds into the Jeep, but the gliders made it possible. The pics show the 82a Twist, the Big Stik, the 330, then the gliders. The Hirundo has orange (transparent) and solid yellow wing covering. The UpStar is mostly white with red, white and blue.

The 7CAP made it possible, all those birds, one TX, but I had to recharge it. Total TX time 2 hrs. 10 minutes. That's a lot of air time for a Friday, no? Read it and weep, Waldo: 4.5 hours at the field, two pilots, six birds, all home safe. I flew the Hirundo and UpStar, AFTER I recharged the TX bat with the Triton.

Good luck with flying tomorrow, guys.

J
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26020.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	474897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10724.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	474898  
Old 06-09-2006, 06:59 PM
TimC

I went with a 1650 mAh NMH for my 7 CAP. Flight time is not a problem now, even with the digital servos.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Okay Jack your making me very jealous,

I started my Vaca today so I thought the first thing I would do is get home and throw my GP Cap 580 foamy to the sky, I had about 15 minutes to fly when I got home,, NO wind No rain for about 25 minutes anyway, so I threw the cap to the air and had about 1 minute of flight when the aileron jammed to the right and she started spiraling, so I was able to recover with left rudder, but then the rudder couldn't handle the torque and she pulled loose on the connector and the spiraling began once again, I shut off the spanky new 22m-1000 motor I just bought for her yesterday and watched it pile to the ground, that was the 3rd flight and this landing ripped the wing right in half busted the crap out of the fuse and tore off the rudder, the GP Matt Chapman foamy is a piece of %^$#$#@ [:@][:@][:@] that was my 3rd flight and I'm not even going to fix it again, the first 2 flights ripped the wing on the landing gear, both times, so I repaired that, but this was the most ridiculous plane in all my years of flying I have ever put together, it flew great,,, but every landing damaged the bird, I'm not into the fly once fix it,, fly it again fix it routine at all, But thats what I kind of expected for a $20.00 plane, I say don't waste your money, now I'm looking for a new park like flyer for all the crap I have invested in this bird, shes stripped down and awaiting the fire pit. the motor and servos work just fine but I learned a another good lesson, so far electrics haven't impressed me at all.. but they will when I get done, I might just take the design and make my own cap 580 out of real material, like BALSA... hey at least I got to fly today... so I'm happy
Old 06-09-2006, 10:13 PM
chadvone
My Feedback: (2)

Well, it was gone. But I did find a lead to another Twist that is for sale.

As fare as the 7CAP , it was my first TX and I loved it. Super Easy to program.

Sirius Charge and you can fly all day long. A few Sundays back i flew 13 hours. Started a little after 8am and made final landing about 930pm.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:26 PM
ghee-grose

Waldo, I've resurrected many a foamie with foam safe CA and kicker.... you sure yours is beyond repair???

Don't give up on electric stuff too quickly!!! You just need the right plane and the right place to fly it. Besides, the idea is simple (and I think you've about got it).... the planes are cheap, so when you do crash them beyond repair just throw the stuff in the next chunk of foam and fly on!
Old 06-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Jack211

Waldo, 'twas NOT my intent to make you jealous, or envious, but you do look good in green, ya know. I'm really happy you got to fly... something.

You said, " but every landing damaged the bird." I'm not sure, but I think I heard Down complain about that... fragility in those birds. At the field he let the Perfessor handle it, to check it out. Sure as the brown stuff, the Perfessor put his finger through the fuse when a gust of wind threatened to take it out of his hands. Ah, I'm still laughing. Down says he'll spend no more money on those foamies--just build them himself--but he IS hooked. I'll just watch (and never TOUCH one of those things, outta fear. Down's bigger than I.) Gary, I know where I"D fly a foamie: over a field of thick foam. We could get all our used RX protective foam, throw it about. That would be a good field, that would the "the place" to fly a foamie.

Tim, the big bat for the 7CAP is a good idea. Or... I could just let somebody else fly for a while.

Chad, those round the clock binges, flying, are fun, hm? Unforgettable. Today I overdid it. Got home. Had dinner--and a drink, then fell asleep for 4 hours. Now I'm up again--AND I HAVE NO NEW PLANE TO BUILD. Woe is me, woe is me.

Have a great day tomorrow, my friends. I'd pray for it to stop raining in E. Nassau, but I know Waldo's already tried that, to no avail. And he's for sure closer to God than I, so I prolly better pray for something else--like, for the Jeep to start.

J

Old 06-10-2006, 10:34 AM
ghee-grose

And if you don't have time to spread all that foam, then just go to a high hay field.

Really, I don't have very many foamies that have ever had good strong landing gear on them. In fact, I rarely put them on mine nowadays.... they're kinda useless for anywhere other than smooth concrete.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.