Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Old 04-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Bama
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D

P-51B,
Mine is balanced close to the rear of the range, about 4 3/4", and I think I am going to try to shift it forward a little. The elevator is real touchy like it is. It is not hard to handle or anything, but it will snap out of a loop with low rate throws. I like mine to be a little more forward than it is right now. From what I have read here, some people are flying planes a lot more tail heavy than this and that is the way they want them. I find some people's CG measurements hard to believe. I've had some planes that were discussed a lot here, and I think some may even be uncontrollable at the CG they say they are flying at. Maybe either I or them are measuring incorrectly. I guess this may be a personal preference thing. For some reason, I like my planes controllable.
Hope this helps,
Alan

PS: Let me know where you end up with your CG. I am curious to see if this is how people are flying these aerobatic type planes or if we are measuring differently.

(edited to make corrections)
Old 04-20-2004, 01:39 PM
peter_m

any pics
Old 04-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Cornduster04

I too perfer the CG to be as far forward for better control. The manual says 4" to 5" from the
leading edge of the wing. 1" inch is alot of variance for CG. For 3D ie Hover; nose heavy is usually
harder to do.

Little nose heavy is always better than tail heavy. I had a bipe once I couldn't keep from looping because
I didn't re-balance after an engine swap. Never seen so many people hide under cars before...

Those lessons learned!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 PM
FREEBIRD

I put the .72 Saito up front, had to make a cut-out on the cheek and just ran a flex cable for the linkage, works fine. With a 13X6 prop it almost floats around like one of my 3D indoor planes, put will pull vertical almost out of sight. I'm concerned if the 4 stroke will shake it apart. I actually like that color very easy to orientate.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Robert Petty

Hey Bama
With the Saito .56 my Twist balanced at 4 1/2" from the leading edge. The recommended CG is 4-5" so I left it there and it flies perfect. It hovers well with the CG there too. This has to be the most fun plane to fly for the money. With the .56 on it, I can fly till I'm tired. I don't think I really need the 11 oz. fuel tank with this engine, but it's nice to have that much available flying time. I programmed the flaperon and spoileron and tried that out. With the flaps, it stops and just sits there. I'm going to work on learning the elevator maneuver with these. The spoileron allows you to harrier pretty well but then again I'm not real good at that one yet either. The only problem I have is it's sooo much fun I have a hard time making myself stop. It's very contagious too, everyone that has seen it at the field wants one.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:41 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Got to work on mine today. Mounted the OS 46 FX. The throttle rod was too short and I soldered a piece to make it reach. I don't like the tension on the carb clevis but I can't seem to make it go away. Hope the rods for the rest are long enough. The tank C/L is going to be below the carb. I'm going to shim it up with extra foam. Do you anticipate any problems with fuel flow? I'm no builder. I've only built spads. One Balsa USA stick 40. I have trouble working between the cheeks on this. I've set the motor at exactly where the instructions say. 4 1/4 from the fire wall to thrust washer. Should be able to get it ready for sunday. Now if the wind will cooperate. BTW, anyone flown it in the wind? How does it do? My H9 US 120 does very well. Once this is flying, I'm converting the 120 to gas, using a G26. Less power I know but enough for me, Cheaper too.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Combat 20

I have not assembled my Twist yet, but have been reviewing the instructions. Pages 30 thru 32, steps 1 thru 10, illustrate assembly of the elevator linkage installation. Problem I foresee is that the elevator servo is being shown mounted on the left side of the fuselage which is the lower of the already cut-out servo holes. Shouldn't that hole be used for the rudder servo to maximize rudder control rod clearance with the elevator? What I am suggesting that is that the elevator should actually be mounted on the right side of the fuselage and the rudder on the left side. Should anyone look at the pictures and get confused; note that the pictures are up-side-down.

One change I intend to make to the elevator and rudder linkages is to stiffen the control rod with carbon fiber tube. The added weight is minimal, but control rod stiffness is much improved. The modification is simple: make the z-bend, slip a length of carbon fiber tube over the control rod, secure with CA, then attach the nylon clevis.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:13 PM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

I mounted my elevator servo on the right side and the rudder on the left as you suggested. It just seemed logical to me and it works fine. A problem I ran into is the blind nut in the fuse for the wing hold-down is stripped. I found it when I tried to tightened the nylon screw down and it would not tighten. I first thought the nylon screw was stripped but on closer inspection I found the blind nut is stripped. It is just a 1/4 20 nut, so that is not a problem, but so far I can't get the old one out. It is glued in pretty good.
Ron
Old 04-20-2004, 11:24 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Ron, JoeAirport here on RCU came up a great idea for that stubborn Blind Nut problem that worked for him... he used a soldering iron on the BN to heat up the hot glue used to hold the BN in, then tapped it right out. Mine was ok so I didn't need to replace it... if I had I sure would have tried Joe's method.

John
Old 04-21-2004, 03:23 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I'll ask the question again. Is anyone doing anything to strengten the fire wall, looks very weak.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:50 AM
cstevec

The firewall appears fine to me, although I will coat the outside of the firewall & the inside (fuel tank area) with thinned epoxy as always. Horizon did not however include bolts to mount the motor mount to the installed blind nuts in my kit and one of the elevators had the hole for the joiner wire in the wrong place by 1/2 an inch. Fitting a Saito .72 is going to be a chore in this one but thats what I am going to be doing tonight. My son is gonna love this little aerobat!
Old 04-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Bama

Robert,
I think I will move my CG forward a little to get to where you are, it shouldn't take much weight to do this. Mine flies great, the elevator is just a little to sensetive like this. Maybe that will take care of the snappy loop problem. We have a fun fly this Sat. so I need to have it tweeked so I can kick some butt!!

suitcase,
I flew in a pretty good crosswind Sunday afternoon. The wind tosses it around a little, but it isn't too bad. It was enough that I didn't feel comfortable playing around real low, I do have to make sure this plane is flyable Saturday for the fun fly you know, so I was a little extra cautious.

Don M.,
I didn't do anything to the firewall. I didn't make any modifications to anything as a matter of fact. It seems to be sufficient to me. I am sure it wouldn't hurt anything to put a little epoxy in there, but I didn't. I have about 10-12 flights on it so far without any problems.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:57 AM
ghee-grose

Hey Bama, where is that Fun Fly going to be? I live north of you in the Huntsville area. I would love to see a Twist in action (since mine hasn't come out of the box yet).
Old 04-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Bama

ghee-grose,
The fun-fly is just a little thing that our club is doing to try to get our members excited and going full steam. It seems to have died down around here.
Alan
Old 04-21-2004, 01:39 PM
peter_m

Any pics
Old 04-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Cornduster04

What kind of pics? Building? Completed? Flying? someone posted a pic of theirs in another forum
This one is not mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48470.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	124861  
Old 04-21-2004, 06:59 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

I just came home from my local Hobbytown with a Twist. Get this... The price on the box was $109.99 which I figured was OK since I had the box in my hand and didn't have to pay shipping. I got to the register, the guy rings it up and it comes up as $99.99. I'm thinking to myself that I'm getting a pretty good deal. Then he tells me that they are running a special 10% off this week. I only ended up paying $90.00 even for the plane! I'm not sure if the price is the same at all the Hobbytown stores but if you have been considering getting one and you have a Hobbytown in your area it may be worth checking out.

The plane looks great. Every bit of covering is nice and tight and everything in the box appeared to be packaged well. Heck, my last kit cost almost $50.00 more than this ARF! It isn't as pretty a plane but it shure looks like it will be as much or more fun to fly.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Robert Petty

Bama
Give it a try. I'm not sure what the weight difference is between your .46 and my .56 but like I said, mine flies great. I flew most of the time on low rates set up by the book. I tried high rates set up a little between the recommended high and 3D rates and wow this thing can get wild. It does the tightest loop I've seen outside of electrics, and the roll rate is insane.

Both times I've flown have been in 8-10 mph winds. The wind does move it around and I too kept the altitude up just in case, but it flies better in the wind than my other planes.

The fire wall seemed sturdy enough to me. I did epoxy the whole thing, mainly for protection from fuel, but I'm sure it helps to strengthen it too.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:10 AM
ghee-grose

When you say you epoxied the firewall, do you mean just coat the whole firewall with epoxy? Do you do put it on thick or thin?

I'm a newby to glow so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2004, 11:10 AM
ghee-grose

woops
Old 04-22-2004, 01:00 PM
P-51B

Yes, he means with epoxy. Generally it is thinned to a near water consistency using a touch of alchohol. (it doesn't take much to thin it)
Old 04-22-2004, 03:45 PM
suitcase

Just finished mine. Got a pic. Had to add one ounce and quarter to get it between 4 1/2 and five inches. had to cut out a little to access the fuel line to fill it up.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Don M.

You added weight ,where front/back? What size engine ? I'm putting a YS .63 in mine and want to know what to expect.

I just noticed they even have an antenna tube installed, I don't even get that in $500.00 ARF's.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:43 PM
suitcase

Don M. sorry my pic didn't go through. I was in a hurry, had to go to work. I had to add weight to the front. It was tail heavy with my OS 46 FX mounted as per instructions at 4 1/2 from firewall to thrust washer, on the money. I've got a 600mA battery pack and radio as far forward as possible. All the contro rods were just a bit too short. The throttle routing seems to put the rod in a bind. Not that it really affects it just that it puts pressure on the carb arm. Trying to fuel it up will be interesting too. I usually just pull the line off the carb and fill it there, but it's very hard to reach and get back on. I'm going to the LHS tomorrow, any suggestions? We painted the engine compartment with polyurethane (clear) instead of epoxy. Heard it would save weight. Now doesn't seem to matter. Hope the weather is clear Sat. for first flight. How would it be to use one of those prop nuts that add weight? I don't really care too much for the plastic spinners anyway. Do they have them for engines this size?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:04 PM
Robert Petty

As P-51B said, I coated the whole inside of the engine area in a thin coat of epoxy. I don't thin mine down to the consistency of water though. I usually just use a popsicle stick and wipe it on without thinning. Just keep a shop rag with rubbing alcohol nearby for cleanup. The thinning method is probably easier allowing use of a brush to apply it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.