Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

O.S. 160 in C.G. Sukhoi ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

O.S. 160 in C.G. Sukhoi ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 02:11 PM
bmoranx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. 160 in C.G. Sukhoi ARF

Does anyone know if this motor will fit completely in the cowl. I love the looks of the plane but don't want to have to cut a hole in the side of the cowl for the head.......

thanx/B
Old 04-09-2004, 03:40 PM
aegis

Default RE: O.S. 160 in C.G. Sukhoi ARF

Have you considered mounting it inverted? You'll need to open the bottom of the cowl somewhat for exhaust and cooling anyway. I'm putting a YS120 in mine and a little bit of the head protudes out the bottom. I live in Tempe so if you would like to bring your motor over and clamp it in my motor mount you could see exactly how it will fit. Send me an email if interested.

Dan
[email protected]
Old 04-09-2004, 08:56 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the plane and the engine but not together. The engine is close to 3-13/16 tall while the Sukhoi cowl is about 8 inches in diameter. If the engine fits, it will be very tight.

The engine is super sweet and a perfect match to the Sukhoi for all out performance. Even if you had to cut a big hole, I'd still use it. You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:49 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Just my experience, I mounted my OS 160 inverted in a mustang and it became a bear to hand start due to priming and flooding. It's a real baby when mounted horizonally. You may have better luck, but I was disgusted after knowing how friendly it was before inverting it.

JW
Old 04-14-2004, 09:23 AM
RLDIII
My Feedback: (1)

Unless they changed something on the ARF from the kit version, the Goldberg Sukhoi has a ROUND cowl. Accordingly, there should be no need to mount the engine inverted in order to clear the cowl. If it will clear it inverted, it should clear side mounted as well! I don't run the O.S. 1.60, so I can't say if it will clear, but my Webra Speed 1.20 clears my cowl (kit built) just fine, and I side mounted it for easy starting and idle.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:13 PM
aegis

Didn't make the suggestion of mounting the engine inverted to clear the cowl. Was thinking that if a hole had to be cut in the cowl to clear the head it might more desirable to have the head stinking out underneath. Doesn't sound like the motor really likes that though.

Dan
Old 04-14-2004, 08:38 PM
aegis

RLDIII - What muffler are you using with the Webra? Does it clear the cowl side-to-side? Thanks.

Dan