Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Gluing Hobbistar 60 wing w/out dihedral.

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Gluing Hobbistar 60 wing w/out dihedral.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:25 AM
willfann
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gluing Hobbistar 60 wing w/out dihedral.

Hi. I am looking for suggestions on how to glue the wing together on my Hobbistar 60 without dihedral. I know how to cut new joiners. What I need help with is a technique that will allow the two inboard ribs to be flush when glued together. Right now when the wing halves are butted together with no dihedral there is a gap between the two inboard ribs. Of course that gap is narrowest at the bottom and widens at the top of the ribs. In order to get a strong joint I need to come up with a way to fill that gap effectively. Thank you.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:38 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Gluing Hobbistar 60 wing w/out dihedral.

Try fitting a piece of aileron stock to fill the gap. If it's a bolt-on wing, the dowel holes will need modification as well.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:39 AM
aeroman

Do as Vinnie suggest. I did that on an old Superstar, and also added a piece of fiberglass cloth to strenghten the wing. The plane flyes much better inverted, and is more stable landing with crosswind.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:39 AM
wldcwbypilot

I would shim with some light ply scabbed down and cut to fit each wing half then epoxy the halves together, I would also re-enforce using some lite fibre cloth around the wing joint. Or, I would get a friend with a foam CNC router to cut me a new wing.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:14 PM
AcroJo
My Feedback: (1)

Willfann, I removed the dyhedreal on a radial arm saw. (not a chop saw) The amount removed on each wing root was minimal. 1/32" on each wing. Its surprising how a combined total of 1/16" creates that large dyhedral. The saw guaranteed the cuts to be square, resulting in a perfectly straight wing. If you know someone who works with wood its a two minute job. I first considered a shim. It would be the depth of the wing X the thickness of the wing, but would have to taper from 1/16" to nothing. Saw was easier. Mines been together for two years now. Really cheap way to advance the capabilities of your current model. Good luck, Joe