Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Aeroworks Katana S

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Aeroworks Katana S

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 09:46 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeroworks Katana S

Anyone heard anything about aeroworks Katana S ARF? Anyone know how well any of their other planes fly?
Old 05-17-2004, 11:18 PM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Aeroworks Katana S

Buddy of mine is assemblying the big Katana and is not too impressed. While the covering is nice, the factory doesn't appear to know what sandpaper is for. They also appear to be having a shortage of glue. Obviously the plane was glued together, but you can't tell from the visible joints. Lastly, he preordered his months in advance and ordered the yellow one. They shipped him the Red one and basically said "tuff @%$#". Not what I would have expected from a respected company.

From what I have seen Aeroworks planes fly well though.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: cstevec

Lastly, he preordered his months in advance and ordered the yellow one. They shipped him the Red one and basically said "tuff @%$#". Not what I would have expected from a respected company.
That doesn't sound at all like an answer from Aeroworks. I have had nothing but exceptional service myself from them, and they normally replace defects or mishaps immediately. If they indeed said tuff ....... I would not have accepted it, and asked for a refund or exchange.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:03 PM
cstevec

Ok Texas, you got me. I was ad-libbing. What I think was actually said was "we made a mistake and sold more of the yellow ones then we thought". He was told he could either take the red one or wait ever how long it took to get the one he ordered. Since he had already been waiting gfor quite a while, he chose to take the red one. Since I know he had had that one on order for a while I guess they must have sold one heck of a lot of yellow ones in that pre-order or else they didn't exactly send them out in the order that the orders were placed.

You gotta understand here, I am just an observer, but I am an observer with my eye on their 27% Ultimate. Thing is I want the purple one if I order and I won't settle for less. I'm picky that way.

He really wanted the plane but was very dissapointed in the sales staff I guess. He said the plane itself is pretty much built like any other ARF, not quite what you would expect to get for 900 bucks. I guess maybe he just has high standards.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:22 PM
trailingedge

Wow that really doesn't sound like the aeroworks I know of. I have a good friend who flies a %33 extra and it's an extremely nice plane. Are you sure he didn't accidently order a GSP?

Sorry, couldn't help that one.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:11 AM
3D Pilot
My Feedback: (2)

I have purchased one as well and drove all the way from Canada and picked my plane up.

It is true that they sold out very fast on the yellow ones but ther are two things about the yellow plane. The yellow is all one colour and will be hard to see in the sky and second the red one will fly just as well as the yellow one and it still looks good.

I have all the servos in and the motor ready to mount, still have to set up for the tuned muflers but all in all I feel that the plane is good.

Have you ever flowen an Aeroworks plane before ?

I have The extra 33% by them as well as Hangar 9 33% planes and flowen others like Carden, Sig, Lanier. The Aeroworks planes fly awesome they are very good planes they fly very percise and that is what you pay for.

If you expect to take any wooden Arf out of the box and not have to adjust somting you are wronge, Or you have not built many planes of this size. Just because they come in a box ARF does not mean that you dont check the incidence and other things like that. If you want true out of the box buy a Composite plane IMO.

Trust me if you fly any of the Aeroworks planes you will be very happy.

Happy flying

3D pilot
Old 05-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Downerman
My Feedback: (3)

I have one....... great flier but the quality is pretty marginal. My vertical stab actually sheard off doing some flat spins and she went in. Believe it or not it's flying within two weeks. The tail was a joke (Structually that is.) it's no wonder it busted off. If anyone wants some pictures to see just how your tail is put together just email me and I will send them to you. It's bad. Beefed mine up with some dowels and filled the hollow area of the fin and gorilla glued it. Also put some hardwood stringers on the belly (Front area) so it is way stronger when you lift it up. MIne's for sell (Airframe only) is someone is near central California area. Make me an offer I can't refuse... and agin, if ANYONE ownes one and wants to see the tail section construction (Or lack there of) email me.

Dave [email protected]
Old 05-24-2004, 04:54 PM
blindfly

trailingedge you took the words right out of my mouth, only I DO feel like i bought a plane from GSP after my 31% edge by AW.
cstevec is right on the money - no glue and poor sandings are same as in my 31% edge.
the landing gear ply vibrated out of its place after 6 flights or so, so did the wing ritainer bolt dowels.

BUT DARN GOOD FLIGHT CHARICARISTICS.FLYES AWESOME.

buff it up where needed (pressure points).

as for customer service - well, they told me to stuff it when i came to them with the problem.

i am not saying - don't by AW, but if you do decide to do so - know where you are going with construction (poor) and flight (exelent).

best of luck
Old 05-24-2004, 05:15 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/AERO...1835464/tm.htm

Above is some info on mine. I also had some issues with AW over this plane without much luck. Flys awesome, but qualitywise I would say less than the standard of what aeroworks used to be. I guess have a pilot fly your plane at the TOC, and the little people get left behind. I would bet the ultimate that Chip flew was not one built by one of the cheap child laborers overseas. But like I said, once I got all the little big arf quirks worked out, I love the plane. If it was me and had to do over again, I would have bought the ARC and finished it the way I prefer.